Ferrari F60

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
tomislavp4

Re: 2009 Ferrari

Wow! That is gorgeous actually :o

Ok it´s not with that stupid rear wing but it is a quite good looking car. I used to like all the additional bodywork of the past years but this is so much better! Can´t wait to see the others :wink:

Birel99

The back end of it is very skinny and sexy!

No chimneys or shark gills...

That damn rear wing wrecks the entire car...

I cant wait to see the Mclaren and Renault in the next week.

enkidu
enkidu

Those mirrors have got to be illegal!

Ferrari have basically mounted them on the underfloor and used the mirrors as those side pod deflectors that they all had last year... No way I bet teams will moan at those!

siskue2005

enkidu wrote:Those mirrors have got to be illegal!

Ferrari have basically mounted them on the underfloor and used the mirrors as those side pod deflectors that they all had last year... No way I bet teams will moan at those!
Do you in all seriousness think that one of the Top Three teams of the decade will present its new challenger to the world with a blatantly illegal/banned device so visible just right in the middle of the new concept that even a superficial analysis by some fans based on pictures on the internet can immediately spot? Do you really think F1 teams are run by amateurs? [-X

enkidu
enkidu

No they read the rules and bend them... But either all teams will do this or other teams will complain and ferrari will have to remove them... Happens every rule change mate don't you watch f1?

timbo
timbo

enkidu wrote:But either all teams will do this or other teams will complain and ferrari will have to remove them...
Not every team used sidepod mounted wings before, why should they start now? Teams complain only if they feel that bending of the rules gives to much of an advantage, and I don't think it is the case with those mirrors.

siskue2005

enkidu wrote:No they read the rules and bend them... But either all teams will do this or other teams will complain and ferrari will have to remove them... Happens every rule change mate don't you watch f1?
i was responding to ur "ILLEAGAL" comment , nothing else mate.

enkidu
enkidu

timbo wrote:
enkidu wrote:But either all teams will do this or other teams will complain and ferrari will have to remove them...
Not every team used sidepod mounted wings before, why should they start now? Teams complain only if they feel that bending of the rules gives to much of an advantage, and I don't think it is the case with those mirrors.

I think every team last year had them.... Some were smaller than others but they were there.

modbaraban
modbaraban

The let's-mask-podvanes-as-mirror-supports solution made me go :lol:

enkidu
enkidu

Thank you modbaraban! :P

enkidu
enkidu

I think if I designed that ferrari i'd mount those mirrors on the rear wing... make it 50% wider with some carbon coming forward to the mirror itself. FIA wont notice at all lmao.

scarbs
scarbs

I've been at the launch and despite being a fairly sparsely attended by the Media (or perhaps fewer were invited!), at least the car held some interest for us.

Remembering the car is still in its launch guise, it seems to have ticked most of the bodywork loophole boxes and even found some I didn't expect.

The front wing is a fairly basic design so far, with single element flaps and a cascade over the top. The wing doesnt feature any underfences as per the Mac wing, although the endplates also try to steer flow around the front wheel. There is a footplate inside the endplate and that little fence on the outside footplate. The nose is surprisingly narrow compared to the interim noses we've seen so far and the reached forwards wing mounts suggest they try to acheive a turning vane effect with little surface area they are allowed.

There's a change to the front wishbone layout, no longer is the upper wishbone flexure cantilevered out sideways on an extension, it appears to be affixed to the side of the monocoque, presumable the lower wishbone mounts further inboard to get some unequal length into the geometry. I asked Tombazis about this, he said its aerodynamic as they wanted to change the fairings and not for geometry reasons. The upper wishbones\steering arms lead backwards from the chassis, in a more classic V shape, than the right angled shape from the F2008.

The front wheels still carry the static wheel fairings and the inboard brake ducts point downward to under the front wing. There is a small aerofoil behind the inlet scoop.

The raised portion of the monoqoque appears to be similar in height, which surpirses me as this doesnt create extra head room for the small turning vanes under the chassis. The new turning vanes have to fit under the shadow of the monocoque, until they meet the side impact area, where two larger vanes are mounted. The forward two pairs of vanes mounts just ahead and aft of the lower wishbone mounts as there's an exclusion zone under the nose between the front wheels. They do in fact meet and join to each other the tail of the triangular shaped forward vane meetign the the horizontal lip of the rear one.

The sidepods fronts have to fit within the side impact zone and ahead of the three sidepod volumes. This area allows undercut bodywork and I beleived a single closed section rule to prevent the sort of pod wings Ferrari has fitted. Clearly their interpretation circumvents this rule. Their Red Bull like pod wings with a vertical slot and a vane extending down to the axe head at floor level. There's a couple of lateral sections at the sidepods shoulder, I guess these are more to steady the pod wing than act as aerofoils. The entire sidepod front is a removeable section, usualy these are bonded into the chassis for crash protection. The flexibility to change them without re-crash testing is probably more important. Ferrari have left two small holes where it meets the monocoque, I can't guess what these are for. The two circular holes in the forward facing part of the sidepod are most likely to cool the KERS PCU and Batteries. On the upper leading edge of the sidepod inlet theres a extended section, I guess this was for the crash structure but I was told by Tombazis it was an aero thing. This upper edge is probably to get the flow attached over the top of the engine cover. The sidepod front has been reduced as much as possible to make space for the vanes, but the floor extends forwards to maintain a forward aero balance.

The balance of the sidepods reach back to form a raised oval section extendign the axle line to meet the rules demandign no openings. But the exhaust opeing is actually quite large and the forward leg of the upper suspesion arm has a geenrous opeing to. But much of the outlet area is still at the tail of the coke bottle section. As the diffuser is moved back the gearbox and rear crash structure are actually higher than the floor, thus there is soem colign exit space beneath the gearbox. The engien cover is also open above the geabrox creatign more exit area. The rocker\spring\damper arrangement appears to have its own fairing cover to smooth flow out of the sidepod. In fact the rear section almost loks like the twin floor F92 such is the rounded shape of the upper bodywork.

The engine cover features a small spine, although full shark fins are legal. Plus there does not appear to be any small fins to meet the toblerone section rules. Forward of the engine cover the airbox inlet is narrow and more oval in shape that the more triangular section of recent years. No doubt to imrpove flow to the rear wing.
The floor features a small horizontal fin aft of the frotn splitter and a stepped vertical fence along the sides. The floor appears to have a shallow wedge profile leading up towards the diffuser, as well as a bulge to the side of where the exhausts are.

The diffuser is a simple affair with four fences and a large gurney. The blendign of the stepped under floor into the diffuseris very neat without the intrusion as we've on the Williams 09 floor.

The rear brake ducts are neat, reaching around the to the front edge of the tyre, but they are not as voluminous as other teams have run.

Ciao Scarbs......

benjabulle
benjabulle

Just put online photos of details for this F60 :

http://www.gurneyflap.com/formula1ferrari.html

Shaddock

A couple of things strike me. The sidepods appear more bulbus than the narrow inlet opening swould suggest. Ferrari have added a slot to the wing mirror support - which makes this more of a aero package (ie shields) than to add rigidity to the mirror.

Very clever indeed.

onon
onon

http://f1-club.clint.be/recentefoto/overzicht.php
some hi-res photos from ferrari launch.

one question i have: why front wings are much wider and come right in front of the wheels?