Ferrari F60

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo
timbo

Re: 2009 Ferrari

myurr wrote:Definitely prettier than I thought it would be, but one thing that strikes me is that at some point one of the drivers is going to lose a mirror. Are there any safety related rules that state that drivers must always have two mirrors or are black flagged?

People have been making a big deal about the vulnerability of the front wing, something that has probably been overstated, but we have a lot of relatively gentle side impacts (wheels and the like) that could do some damage to those mirrors.
No big deal, happens every time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC6ByCF_Inw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHYH664fIow

:lol: :lol: :lol:

myurr
myurr

That second clip is a classic!! Had forgotten that Montoya lost his mirror. Guess it'll be okay then.

timbo
timbo

Well, the question was valid, I just think that Ferrari has enough experience running them + support on F60 doesn't seem any weaker than on 248F1-F2008, it is fixed in several points and is wider than on previous cars.

Ciwai
Ciwai

Funny but just scaling it 25% in width brings us back to 1992.

tk421

Take a look at the bargeboard. Did they just leave the carbon fibre exposed? The weave looks different than what I'm used to seeing. Anyway, there must be a reason for leaving it unpainted; any ideas?
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

Belatti
Belatti

Does anyone knows whats for the hole below the cooling intake that seems to end below and at the left of the Shell logo?
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Scotracer
Scotracer

tk421 wrote:Take a look at the bargeboard. Did they just leave the carbon fibre exposed? The weave looks different than what I'm used to seeing. Anyway, there must be a reason for leaving it unpainted; any ideas?
I believe they mentioned that they didn't have time to get it painted before launch.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

timbo
timbo

Scotracer wrote:
tk421 wrote:Take a look at the bargeboard. Did they just leave the carbon fibre exposed? The weave looks different than what I'm used to seeing. Anyway, there must be a reason for leaving it unpainted; any ideas?
I believe they mentioned that they didn't have time to get it painted before launch.
Dunno, but it looks cool, they should leave it like that!

Conceptual
Conceptual

If this is the state of the art, pencil me in as unimpressed.

Couple this aero package with the new rev limit, and I am not very sure that I am very interested anymore...

This is what happens when the vocal minority fanbase dictates F1 technical direction, coupled with an economic crisis dictating the cost direction.

Is anyone else just dying to watch F2 instead?

I dunno, but I miss real racing...

myurr
myurr

Belatti wrote:Does anyone knows whats for the hole below the cooling intake that seems to end below and at the left of the Shell logo?
Read somewhere (might have been on autosport) that it was for cooling electronics - presumably related to KERS.

Scotracer
Scotracer

Conceptual wrote:If this is the state of the art, pencil me in as unimpressed.

Couple this aero package with the new rev limit, and I am not very sure that I am very interested anymore...

This is what happens when the vocal minority fanbase dictates F1 technical direction, coupled with an economic crisis dictating the cost direction.

Real racing has nothing to do with the technical prowess of the cars involved. Some of the best racing in the world is found in the BTCC and other Touring car series...and they aren't exactly cutting-edge.

Look at the past 9 years in F1:

2000-2005

-Engines limited to 3.0 V10, no direct injection, no supercharging, no exotic materials
-Engines ending up having to last 2 Grand Prix weekends
-Aero dimensions severally restricted
-Minimum weight limit
-Grooved Tyres
-Front wing raised over course of several years and rear-wing brought forward and number of elements reduced from 3 to 2

-Engines limited to 2.4 V8 but with specified internal sizes and 90 degree mandatory
-Mass damper banned

-Engine development all-but banned
-Launch control banned
-Engines rev limited to 19,000rpm
-Standard, spec tyres

-All electronics made standard
-No driver aids

-Return of slicks; still control tyres
-Aero dimensions restricted in some areas, loosened in others
-KERS allowed
-18,000rpm rev limit

As you can see, the rules just change every so often and 2009 is not that much different.

vasia
vasia

Nice sleek design, I like it. Just as I suspected and predicted, the sidepods, mirrors, and front suspension now all play a more important role in aerodynamics. The F60 front suspension is redesigned mainly for aerodynamic reasons, the clever mounting of the mirrors is strictly to manage airflow around the sidepods, and the extended sections of the sidepods themselves are for managing airflow. This of course is just the basic F60; in March I'm sure it will be heavily updated with more clever aero innovations just like most teams will likely do as well.

Next up is Toyota's TF109, let's see how that will compare with the F60.

ackzsel

timbo wrote:Dunno, but it looks cool, they should leave it like that!
Looks very cool, but the paint they use does more than just aesthetics.

Conceptual
Conceptual

Scotracer wrote:

Real racing has nothing to do with the technical prowess of the cars involved.quote]

In what is supposed to be the pinnacle Formula on the planet, I must strongly disagree with this misconception.

It is ALL about the Formula, and that by deffinition IS technical prowess.

They also employ the best drivers to pilot these machines, but it IS about the technology... Well, it is supposed to be, anyways...

Scotracer
Scotracer

Conceptual wrote:
Scotracer wrote:

Real racing has nothing to do with the technical prowess of the cars involved.
In what is supposed to be the pinnacle Formula on the planet, I must strongly disagree with this misconception.

It is ALL about the Formula, and that by deffinition IS technical prowess.

They also employ the best drivers to pilot these machines, but it IS about the technology... Well, it is supposed to be, anyways...
...and the actual technology isn't being reduced in any way next year...