Vodaphone McLaren Mercedes MP4-24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
myurr
myurr

Re: Vodaphone McLaren Mercedes 2009 MP4-24 Launch

spaman wrote:Has anyone posted this yet?

Strange looking thing:

Rearwing & Strange looking thing:

Maybe McLaren is about to discover something substantially new?

Can anyone tell us anything about any of those things? :D
Wow is all I can say - great find!

No idea at all what it is, but it looks very purposefully aligned directly behind the front wheel. I can only imagine that it is a aerodynamic measuring device of some description - perhaps each of the members in the main box like structure has twist sensors? Or there are sensors in the supports? But that's a complete guess.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Re: Vodaphone McLaren Mercedes 2009 MP4-24 Launch

This is what scarbs had to say about it in the autosport forums:
The bird cage is a probably a mounting aero testing. The car was also fitted with a similar array of pressure taps in front of the airbox inlet. The ‘bird’ is a bundle of transparent tubing curled up and possibly not in use, while the airbox inlet test was being conducted. No doubt these tubes would have been fitted to the cross bracing inside the ‘birdcage’ on subsequent runs. The ‘birdcage was fitted behind the front wing and this is most likely due to the fact that McLaren has fitted the extended wheel fairings, so they were checking the flow off the wheel matched to what they were expecting. This also tallies with the ‘flow vis’ test in Jerez last week. This sort of test is common at tests and especially at private tests 9such as straightline testing), so don’t jump to conclusions that Mac have a problem, this is just the level of detail teams need to go through to be sure their tunnel and CFD tests are accurate.

Scarbs

ggoldberg81
ggoldberg81

is the mp4-24 having problems with tires.

I've been hearing the mp4-24 is having problems with running off slick tires very fast. This could be a major problem considering hamiltons history of being tuff on tires. I wanted to see if anyone had any insight on this, is this for real or is this common when testing a new car.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Re: is the mp4-24 having problems with tires.

That is "for real", the new MP4-23 is only capable of running at a maximum speed of 120 mph, due to the tyres not being able to withstand a higher speed. Hopefully this dilemma won't cause them any difficulties during the actual race season...

Who have you been hearing this from??

BTW, please post MP4-24 related comments in the MP4-24 thread. I believe that we've already covered this with you. Hopefully this time around you will listen and understand.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 20 Feb 2009, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

ggoldberg81
ggoldberg81

thanks for not being passive.

ggoldberg81
ggoldberg81

i looked for a thread first but couldnt find one maybe you'll understand that the 2nd time.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

:arrow: F1Technical - Vodaphone McLaren Mercedes 2009 MP4-24 Launch

Bookmark the thread above :wink: .

Threads concerning the 2009 cars can be found in the 'General Chat' board.

ggoldberg81
ggoldberg81

yeah thanks anyway that dosnt answer my question for the 3rd time

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

The link is so that you can post your current and future questions/comments about the MP4-24 in the dedicated MP4-24 thread.

The goal being to effectively reduce the amount of unecessary threads, and have discussion in one or a few threads, allowing for easier and more efficient navigation of the forum.

ggoldberg81
ggoldberg81

thanks anyway i already spent energy posting this thread. just a thought for you, you might get a little further with people if you...

Carlos
Carlos

Well ggoldberg81 ... let me help your understanding of the F1Technical forum. Lots of people enjoy posting. Problem is ... very few volunteer to moderate or write. mx_tifosi stepped up to contribute. Besides writing news articles, he sometimes offers a friendly helping hand to new members. Why start redundant threads? Why not accept a hand? With a little grace?

ggoldberg81
ggoldberg81

there is a way to offer a hand and there is a way to be rude.

megz

lol

modbaraban
modbaraban

Probably this thread should have been closed at once to save your energy and avoid 'rude' replies. Insted mx kindly provided you with a link to the relevant thread that can be easily found on the first page of this forum.

Welcome to the forum again.

xpensive
xpensive

Viva Zapata!
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"