Vodaphone McLaren Mercedes MP4-24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Re: Vodaphone McLaren Mercedes 2009 MP4-24 Launch

I don't think that redesigning the exhaust system for the sole purpose of using it in conjunction with an outdated rear wing would be wise, to say the least. Especially when the dimensions are so much different to the one being used in 2009. The change in the exhaust has to be for a different reason; simply continous R&D.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

boci
boci

They haven't redesigned the whole exhaust system its just a different bodywork piece

Agerasia
Agerasia

It's a cover over the exhaust as they want the air to travel straight and not upwards towards the underside of the rear wing. You will only usually see this when they are using the '08 rear wing (I suspect).
The 08' CAR was built with the wing in mind not the other way around. The flip-ups/winglets were directing air towards it and simply making it work harder.
McLaren are using an '08 wing as a baseline. They will know under certain settings what it is capable of and what it's basic downforce level will be. They will try to get as near to this as possible when they put the '09 wing back on. Also with a known quantity ('08 wing) they can actually set the whole car up first then recreate it using the unknown ('09 wing).
Why do they not do it with the front? Well that's different as the front wing and car design do go in tandem together and would be pointless.

EDIT: The purpose of directing warm air to the underside of the rear wing is because it expands. I'll let you all figure the rest out :)
"badically pressuring rosnerg " Ringo 05/10/2014

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

im no expert but if they're using the 08 wing to test downforce wouldnt the air flow to it be different from last year with having a different front wing no winglet and differnt body shape. wouldnt they know just asmuch with the 09 wing if all the characteristics have changed.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

vyselegend wrote: Another thing on that pic, is the disturbing impression that front tyres are of greater diametre than rear ones. Given the perspective of the pic, it should be the opposite... :?

Another weird optical illusion I guess.
This effect is caused by a telephoto lens. Reference "constant object size".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephoto_ ... bject_size
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Roland Ehnström

allstaruk08 wrote:im no expert but if they're using the 08 wing to test downforce wouldnt the air flow to it be different from last year with having a different front wing no winglet and differnt body shape. wouldnt they know just asmuch with the 09 wing if all the characteristics have changed.
You're right, but I've read that they opted to run the 2008 rear wing in the difficult wet conditions to have some extra rear downforce while they were testing some other things and performing a general shake-down of the new car. Today, in slightly less wet conditions, they ran the 2009 rear wing.

chasefreak
chasefreak

this is straight from the mclaren website
Another day governed by the inclement weather, which grew so severe at times that running was considered to be dangerous. The team also decided to run using a 2008-spec rear wing as a precautionary measure to increase downforce.

crbassassin

[quote="Agerasia"McLaren are using an '08 wing as a baseline.[/quote]

http://www.mclaren.com/f1season/portimao-jan-19.php
With much to be risked by running in the slippery conditions, the test team conducted a minimal on-track programme today, using a 2008-spec rear wing as a precautionary measure to increase downforce during the runs.

vasia
vasia

Interesting design, exhaust outlets very nicely integrated. As usual, a very "slippery-looking" design. This, along with the FW31, TF109 and possibly the F1.09 seem to be the most aerodynamically "slippery" designs, with lots of thought put into how the car controls and manages airflow.

shotzski

Anyone has an idea as to why Mclaren opted for a bulged nose cone, rather than a sleeker design? Eg: Ferrari, Williams

lkocev

I think so the MP4-24 is the nicest looking '09 car we have seen yet, much nicer looking than those really ugly BMW and Renault designs...

A little about the McLaren front wing and its endplates, people have been saying its very 'crude' and 'basic' but I bet if you were to say that to the team of engineers that designed it they would laugh at you. Most approaches the other teams have taken with their endplate design is shape them so that it helps direct air around the front wheels. To do this type of endplate design, the amount of width the actual wing has, needs to decrease, and with that there would be a subsequent loss of downforce. McLaren would have definetley explored that design route and probably found that the reduced amount of drag was possibly not so important. It also appears that they are using the actual flaps of the wing to help divert air flow.

Those sidepods are really quite 'fat' indeed, and I'm guessing this would probably be a conservative approach to making sure the hot air from the radiators has an adequate path to its exit at the rear. The reduced intake was a bit predictable, everyone knows the Mercedes-Benz engine requires considerably less cooling than most other engines, and running at a maximum 18,000 RPM, it would even be considerably less than last season. As for no sheilds, its my understanding that they worked in conjunction with the heat outlet chimneys, now that those type of openings are banned I'm not sure how they could integrate them into the design?

sebbe
sebbe

lkocev wrote:The reduced intake was a bit predictable, everyone knows the Mercedes-Benz engine requires considerably less cooling than most other engines, and running at a maximum 18,000 RPM, it would even be considerably less than last season.
I didn't know Merc engines require less cooling than the others. It was predictable compared to Ferrari's engines, but I don't know compared to Renault's.
As for fuel comsumption, please can somebody clarify me about Mercedes' engines being thirsty? I'm asking because I keep listening all the time that Mercs have higher fuel comsumption than the Italian engines.

Thanks a lot
"I've already altered the deal, pray I don't alter it any further" -Darth Vader to Lando Calrissian. The Empire Strikes Back.
"Progress is not always made by reasonable men." (McLaren Racing).
"We have optimised the lateral optical interface of the building." (Translation: "My factory has a lot of windows.") Ron Dennis.-

ISLAMATRON

sebbe wrote:
lkocev wrote:The reduced intake was a bit predictable, everyone knows the Mercedes-Benz engine requires considerably less cooling than most other engines, and running at a maximum 18,000 RPM, it would even be considerably less than last season.
I didn't know Merc engines require less cooling than the others. It was predictable compared to Ferrari's engines, but I don't know compared to Renault's.
As for fuel comsumption, please can somebody clarify me about Mercedes' engines being thirsty? I'm asking because I keep listening all the time that Mercs have higher fuel comsumption than the Italian engines.

Thanks a lot
They could be running richer to keep the temps down but all that is speculation unless we have the team data that truly says that their engine runs richer... they could actually have worse gas milage because they run more wing or have more drag... we dont know and probably never will.

Roland Ehnström

About the high and "fat" sidepods on the MP4/20, my guess is that it is a design decition which has something to do with guiding the airflow up towards the higher rear wing. What to you experts out there think?

adidas

Isnt it vodafone?

Anyway, the McLaren's always look racey, just like the Ferrari does. It's hard to say, but they certainly have tried to look as close to 2008 as possible, while I think Ferrari are making steps towards the 2010 car, if you get my drift. Only thing is, who will come out better off in 2009.

I kind of think McLaren will struggle this year, like when Kimi drove for them. I would expect Raikkonen and Massa to have a hand each on the title half way through the year. Maybe more so Raikkonen but really either or will do.

Ta.