BMW Sauber F1.09

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
djos

Re: BMW Sauber F1.09

axle wrote:KERS cooling inlets uncoverd.

What a bazaar solution and not very elegant! :o

Did BMW fire all their Aero guys?
"In downforce we trust"

axle
axle

I'm not impressed with the ME109 yet...oops I mean F1.09 ;)
- Axle

DarkSnape

AFCA
AFCA
Bahrain - Tests proceed at Sakhir
After a short break of two days the test sessions for the Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro, Toyota and BMW continued at Sakhir. The three drivers out on the track today were the ones from last Friday: Kimi Raikkonen, Jarno Trulli and Christian Klien. The weather is fine although the sky is still dull, with air temperatures between 20 and 28 °C and track temperatures between 20 and 35 °C.

Kimi continued with the F60's development work, particularly concentrating on comparing the different set ups. In the morning he drove around eight stints, while in the afternoon the long stints were started. Around 90 minutes before the end of today's session the three drivers' lap times were a mere two tenths of a second apart: Klien with the fastest lap time in 1:32.905, followed by Kimi with 1:32.969 and Trulli (1:33.064). However the Toyota driver was the one with the most laps (127), followed by Klien (95) and Kimi (82).

Shaddock

I think that all the the teams that haven't got shields will adopt the Ferrari style wing mirror-shield route. The KERS cooling solution is not very elegant - more of an after thought....

Is Willem Toet still heading up the aero team?

djos

axle wrote:I'm not impressed with the ME109 yet...oops I mean F1.09 ;)
Me either! :lol:
"In downforce we trust"

timbo
timbo

djos wrote:
Well, it was called Bf109, not ME=)
Actually, when I saw McLaren car of 2000 I thought, that's definetely german design style in it, that chimeys and sharp edges, now this one also looks very "german" to me.

djos

timbo wrote:
djos wrote:
Well, it was called Bf109, not ME=)
Actually, when I saw McLaren car of 2000 I thought, that's definetely german design style in it, that chimeys and sharp edges, now this one also looks very "german" to me.
The McLaren at least has an "organic" feel to it like it was designed by humans - the BMW on the other hand looks like it was designed solely by a computer (i.e. no imagination or original thought whatsoever!)
"In downforce we trust"

timbo
timbo

djos wrote:The McLaren at least has an "organic" feel to it like it was designed by humans - the BMW on the other hand looks like it was designed solely by a computer (i.e. no imagination or original thought whatsoever!)
Yeah, it's kinda dull. But I guess if it works on track it's fine.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Even now we can witness the pace of development. When the F1.09 was first shown to the public, it did not have the side shield or associated mirrors. But once onthers came out with them, it took a relatively short time for BMW to try their own. Very impressive pace of development.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

xpensive
xpensive

Guess following is a little easier than leading the way.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

andartop
andartop

xpensive wrote:Guess following is a little easier than leading the way.
Well, obviously.. But on the other hand it's not simply a matter of "copy-paste" in modern F1, is it?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

axle
axle

Actually the speed makes me think they were in the pipeline anyway.
- Axle

marinopc
marinopc

djos wrote:
axle wrote:KERS cooling inlets uncoverd.

What a bazaar solution and not very elegant! :o

Did BMW fire all their Aero guys?

Very similar to the FW26 side view:

In some pics, this year cars seem like the ones of 2003-2004. Formula 1 going back!

Roland Ehnström

I find there is very little talk about the new BMW, how come? Are they not testing any interesting stuff, or are they just very good at hiding it? :?:

djos

Roland Ehnström wrote:I find there is very little talk about the new BMW, how come? Are they not testing any interesting stuff, or are they just very good at hiding it? :?:
If I where to hazard a guess, I'd say the reason is the design is completely uninspired and boring as all hell! :o
"In downforce we trust"