Red Bull RB5

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ackzsel

Re: Red Bull RB5

Moanlower wrote:
ackzsel wrote:Aside from reliability, will this (beautiful) car stand a change with the Renault engine? Maybe it's to early to judge, but I can't image that Renault's modifications will close the gap with other engines completely.
The gap was about 25 to 30 Bhp if i'm not mistaken. Not too difficult to overcome when you are allowed to. Who knows, maybe they are a little ahead now. :lol:
Ow well, 25 to 30 BHP isn't THAT much. Good aero can fix that. I guess I'll just have to relax and wait for Melbourne.

Callum

Does anyone know what these are??

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

KERS related I suspect

donskar
donskar

Well, Newey is (IMHO) the most innovative designer in F1 since John Barnard. That's good. BUT he might also be this generation's Colin Chapman -- brilliant, but brittle, designs.

Love the fact that his rear suspension is markedly different from the rest -- anything for a little variety.

With this car, Vettel may be able to make some big waves, but I am not a fan of Webber.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

A couple of things that have struck me about the RB5 is:

* How low the Exausts are compaired to others.
* Also the front brake ducts are pointing downward as well, getting increased flow from the front wing for cooling.
* How the rear wing has the same profile as the RB3 & RB4 wing with the dip in the middle and the little dips at the end before the go into the end plates
* How the nose is tapered, looks like its a knife that could go thru butter.

But aesthetically, best car yet!!!

Moanlower

donskar wrote:
With this car, Vettel may be able to make some big waves, but I am not a fan of Webber.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZpnWhM7 ... re=related[/youtube]

And now ? No, serious, great driver and personality if you ask me. Had doubts though for quite a while whether he was competitive enough or not.
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

andartop
andartop

Here we are, only a couple of months after we first saw the 2009 car designs and moaned how horribly ugly they looked, now actually really getting excited about their looks (well, aside from the new Renault that is)! I 'll agree this is the best looking one of the lot, however looks don't always equal speed and reliability.. I feel Ferrari still looks like the most unreliable, but I wouldn't bet on the Red Bull either just yet. Here's hoping that we 'll see Ferrari, McLaren, BMW, Red Bull, Torro Rosso AND Renault fighting for wins this year! I think both Vettel and Webber can do miracles, and I'm a big fan of both these guys, though my heart still only beats for Ferrari!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

axle
axle

The bit of the diffuser people are marking in the centre with diagonal lines pointing up and in is eand of the plank/gearbox. There is a trick of the light in that section, it's not a diffuser item.

Ergo the diffuser is the same at the majority with no real innovation OTHER than the extended wing end plates....so far.
- Axle

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

andartop wrote:Here we are, only a couple of months after we first saw the 2009 car designs and moaned how horribly ugly they looked, now actually really getting excited about their looks (well, aside from the new Renault that is)! I 'll agree this is the best looking one of the lot, however looks don't always equal speed and reliability.. I feel Ferrari still looks like the most unreliable, but I wouldn't bet on the Red Bull either just yet. Here's hoping that we 'll see Ferrari, McLaren, BMW, Red Bull, Torro Rosso AND Renault fighting for wins this year! I think both Vettel and Webber can do miracles, and I'm a big fan of both these guys, though my heart still only beats for Ferrari!
I aggree with you.

I can see no one driver getting more than 4 GP wins, with there bing as many as posibly 6 or 8 drivers in the title hunt at Abu Dhabi. I can see there being races where one car is domanant, but there will be races that it could be the driver in 10th that wins it due to clever strategy and KERS usage, with a little luck thrown in.

But the thing i can see is that cars that may look unrelyable may just be the ones to surprise, the one that look relyable may be the ones hiding something under all that clothing they have hiding stuff.

blobslosak
blobslosak

How can you tell how reliable a car will be by looking at it?

Conceptual
Conceptual

blobslosak wrote:How can you tell how reliable a car will be by looking at it?
It is the ancient art of bigotry, and not needing facts to make statements that although are purely opinion based, they are spoken as the truth.

It has fallen into disuse in the last 10 years however, since the ability to support these opinions with linked "credible" sources has exploded with Al Gore's invention, The Internet.

Statements like those are retro to say the least... :wink:

ISLAMATRON

That is what makes a good engineer... if the suspension parts are paper thin and being heat blasted by the exhaust than it's fragility becomes more appareent but the further one goes into one's engineering career you start to recognize more and different modes of failure. And thus can see much less evident fragility.

The short answer to your question is experience.

monkeyboy1976
monkeyboy1976

ISLAMATRON wrote:
That is what makes a good engineer... if the suspension parts are paper thin and being heat blasted by the exhaust than it's fragility becomes more appareent but the further one goes into one's engineering career you start to recognize more and different modes of failure. And thus can see much less evident fragility.

do you not think that the highly skilled engineering and design minds in F1 would not make such a simple mistake as to be spotted by people looking at pictures of the car on the internet?

Conceptual
Conceptual

ISLAMATRON wrote:

Do you get the super 3d x-ray photos then? Because, engineer or not, unless you understand the core design philosophy, you are completely ingorant of the function of any part that you see in a picture. Maybe it looks fragile because it is a pull-rod instead of a push-rod? You cannot know this unless you were part of the design team at RBT, or have quoted statements from the people that were.

Experience would tell you that a picture is not the complete machine, and making educated hypotheses from these pictures will not always give you the right answer.

Please, don't try to pass off your speculations based upon your experience as the final word on the subject. Some of us prefer to think and read for ourselves.

And PS: What happens if those "suspension parts are paper thin and being heat blasted by the exhaust than it's fragility becomes more appareent" parts are specifically designed to guide that hot exhaust to the tyre to speed the heating process? You cannot know these things because you were not there, and neither were we.

axle
axle

ISLAMATRON wrote:

So you think they won't have used CFD to check the flow from the exhausts against ALL the parts it could interact with such as the rear wing...

Yeah riiiight.
- Axle