Red Bull RB5

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ISLAMATRON

Re: Red Bull RB5

dumbdave wrote:I think we can safely assume *someone* at RBT bothered to run a test at temperature for those suspension components, that or they just spent £££££s on a test department which twiddles its thumbs....which do you think?
Yep, probably the same guy who tested the suspension parts that failed last year. With all these tests and simulations it makes me wonder why they go thru all the trouble of shipping all these cars around the world to race, shouldnt the tests & simulations tell the the outcome of everything? That should be sufficient to declare the winners.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

ISLAMATRON wrote:
dumbdave wrote:I think we can safely assume *someone* at RBT bothered to run a test at temperature for those suspension components, that or they just spent £££££s on a test department which twiddles its thumbs....which do you think?
Yep, probably the same guy who tested the suspension parts that failed last year. With all these tests and simulations it makes me wonder why they go thru all the trouble of shipping all these cars around the world to race, shouldnt the tests & simulations tell the the outcome of everything? That should be sufficient to declare the winners.
*takes a pinch of salt with all of ISLAMATRON's posts* mmmmm tasty, nothing like good ole speculation and non-factual opinions :lol:

The whole truth is no-one here knows a thing about how fast or reliable any of these cars are, we can only discuss our opinions and talk about how we think the cars might work. You can dig out as many little anecdotes from previous years as you like, doesn't prove a thing.

*waits for ISLAMATRON's novel on why I'm wrong* :lol:

Agerasia
Agerasia

Hi,
If you look at the picture below you will see that the design is very deliberate and quite clever.
Hot air will exit above the diffuser and below the low wing element with the crash structure in the middle. This will make the low wing element much more effecient. As the air exits this area and meets the air from the diffuser it will also condense making the area as a whole work harder.
"badically pressuring rosnerg " Ringo 05/10/2014

ISLAMATRON

Diesel wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:
*takes a pinch of salt with all of ISLAMATRON's posts* mmmmm tasty, nothing like good ole speculation and non-factual opinions :lol:

The whole truth is no-one here knows a thing about how fast or reliable any of these cars are, we can only discuss our opinions and talk about how we think the cars might work. You can dig out as many little anecdotes from previous years as you like, doesn't prove a thing.

*waits for ISLAMATRON's novel on why I'm wrong* :lol:

On the point I put in bold We are actually in agreement, the topic that was being discussed before is totally unconnected to your point.

dumbdave
dumbdave

ISLAMATRON wrote:
They ship them to race because tests dont live up to proper raceday conditions. The tests show that they can be reasonably confident the part will perform as desired never 100%, and i should think that the data from the previous failures will have been pored over & analysed and the test method assessed, these guys arent foolish enough as to repeat a test which obviously let something through once before!

But then you've got some anecdotal evidence & an internet photo....pisses all over a multi-million pound test department im sure.
I agree an engineer should know the value of experience, but also the value of some empirical evidence.....

ISLAMATRON

Where does all the air that enters the sidepod exit? We've seen where it exits on the F60 & the R29, but not on the MP4/24 or the RB5.

ISLAMATRON

dumbdave wrote:They ship them to race because tests dont live up to proper raceday conditions. The tests show that they can be reasonably confident the part will perform as desired never 100%, and i should think that the data from the previous failures will have been pored over & analysed and the test method assessed, these guys arent foolish enough as to repeat a test which obviously let something through once before!

But then you've got some anecdotal evidence & an internet photo....pisses all over a multi-million pound test department im sure.
I agree an engineer should know the value of experience, but also the value of some empirical evidence.....
You prove my point exactly. I never said the suspension part will or wont fail, but from the photo somebody else noticed it as a potential problem or weak point. Yes i'm pretty sure that RBR has also seen that potential and have run tests to ensure its reliability. But yet we all know of Redbull's lack of reliablity over the years. The same reliablity that mysteriously dissappeared from McLaren around the same time Newey left. We all agree that designing a racecar is an excersize in comprimises. Maybe Newey doesnt do a great job in balancing speed for reliability.

djos

ISLAMATRON wrote:Image

Where does all the air that enters the sidepod exit? We've seen where it exits on the F60 & the R29, but not on the MP4/24 or the RB5.
Just above and slightly ahead of the rear diffuser where the bodywork ends.
"In downforce we trust"

ISLAMATRON

Side note

Have we all missed the most important thing aboutthe RB5 launch? Is this Red bull Cola on the rear wing end plate a new product? Have they recently expanded their product line? Has anyone tasted it? Is it as Horrible as the taste of the original product? Or should we all be looking to buy stock in RB because of this great new refreshment?

ISLAMATRON

djos wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:Where does all the air that enters the sidepod exit? We've seen where it exits on the F60 & the R29, but not on the MP4/24 or the RB5.
Just above and slightly ahead of the rear diffuser where the bodywork ends.
http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/RB.jpg

Oh I can see it in that pic much better, just above the half shafts, tiny compared to the F60 or the R29. Maybe the cause of their overheating issues today.

tk421

ISLAMATRON wrote: Is this Red bull Cola on the rear wing end plate a new product?
It's not new. And the advertisement has been on the rear wing end plates since last year's Euro GP at Valencia.
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

ISLAMATRON

tk421 wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote: Is this Red bull Cola on the rear wing end plate a new product?
It's not new. And the advertisement has been on the rear wing end plates since last year's Euro GP at Valencia.
News to me... And the taste? Funny cause I have a friend that controls all the rebdull vending machines in south Florida, but I havent heard a word about it.

blobslosak
blobslosak

Yeah, red bull cola came out in the UK last year and was advertised on the f1 car at at least one GP. No idea how it tastes.

DM0407
DM0407

They were 2/$2 at my local gas station.... I cant imagine they taste too good.

modbaraban
modbaraban

DM0407 wrote:They were 2/$2 at my local gas station.... I cant imagine they taste too good.
Tastes like this:

and clearly gives more energy than the normal one: