Red Bull RB5

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Dmitry_black
Dmitry_black

Re: Red Bull RB5

It seems Newey redesigned everything

yzfr7
yzfr7

but a very fast one.
pax

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

It looks like the RB front splitter has changed, maybe two ways. The top flange that blends into the sidepod floor now looks to widen as it goes back .. and this one is really different .. there looks to be a port on the sides of the splitter, like Newey is taking air from the top of the splitter and feeding the floor area with it, right along the legality plank line where the DD inlets area is. This is really hard to see and I cannot post a pic. Sorry. EDIT .. looks like BMW are also doing this ..

I have to say though, I have some pics of a lot of the cars at Silverstone and looks like almost every team has extensive revisions. Maybe the Toyota looks unchanged. RB and BMW seems to have new stuff almost everywhere though .. these teams are doing some serious R&D. Maybe the season is more fun with out the test days. It's cool to see everyone show up with untested bits!
Last edited by BreezyRacer on 19 Jun 2009, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

Dmitry_black
Dmitry_black

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

thats a pretty substantial update....(and judging by the times it seems to be working), the DDD went from holes in the floor type of design(like Ferrari/BMW) to something more akin to Renault with much bigger upper deck. Interestingly he opened up the endplate now....

BTW has the rear upper a-arms on the RBR car always that high up?

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

RacingManiac wrote:BTW has the rear upper a-arms on the RBR car always that high up?
I believe so. Comparing new pics to old, they look to be in the same position.

However it looks pretty evident that the front suspension pickup points have changed dramatically with the wider nose. Maybe the camber curve is a bit more aggressive now. Newey seems to be taking everyone to school with this update, at least so far. And Webber seems to really take to it.

Boy, did those Ferraris suck in practice or what? So glad I'm not a Ferrari fanboy ..

Sawtooth-spike

Random Point to Make about redbull

If you have a Iphone with the Redbull racing app. You will notice that they dont know there cars. They have got the RB4 and the RB3 mixed up. I think this is the only place where i can point this out without being called Sad!
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

PlatinumZealot

Looks like the Duck bill styled nose is s great design. BMW, Renault and FI had it from the beginning and they stuck to it. I was really surprised to see it on the red bull.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Interesting manner in how the front camera pods for the nose have been relocated much further forward and are now being used as part of the aero.

Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

kNt
kNt

SoliRossi wrote:Image

Whilst i can only guess at the tubular exit i think the extention of the anvil right down is possibly aimed at increasing conditioned air flow over the beam wing. As in all reality the RB5's beam wing is one of its key features (we all know how it works in with rear susp etc...)

Perhaps the winds that can sweep through Beckets could be harnessed better at the rear end with this bigger fin.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Also i am pretty apprehensive about the new nose, i really really like the way it looks now, but if its faster then im not too fussed.
I think it might be a simple cooling exit and the reason for the tubularity is the 'you can't have a radius small than...' in the rules.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

While the cameras are required to be downforce neutral there's no getting around the fact that they emit very large vortexes from the tips. I'm not sure if RB moved them as far forward as possible to minimize their effects on the front of the sidepods or if now, they've aligned the vortexes with the suspension parts to reduce drag, or maybe a mix of the two.
DaveKillens wrote:Interesting manner in how the front camera pods for the nose have been relocated much further forward and are now being used as part of the aero.

wesley123
wesley123

Actually they achieve the same as ferraris nose did last year, it is practically the same.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

The only reason i can think that the RB5 has that nose is to put more waight toward the front of the car and try and take weight off the cars rear as the extra downforce their full DDD is creating is where the loss in weight there is added to the front of the car to give the car a little more forward weight bias.

The cooling is a novel concept, keeps the aero clean, but keeps the engine cool as im thinking that is probably the problem that Vettels R27s that blew had, cooling. So this should help that alot, and posibly add relyability to an already fast package that just needs honed and tidied up by Newey and Co now.

I feel that they have made enough of a step now to challenge the Brawns more on consistant lap-times now.

D'Leh
D'Leh

The new nose is most likely an effort to change the airflow to the splitter and the floor in general. Changes in weight balance are most likely only a side effect. We'll see if Vettel crashes another car this weekend that needs a lift. I'm pretty sure the diffuser is not the same as it was in Monaco.

Speaking about the friday practice sessions I think that is not reflecting the truth. It was really cold which is what I believe why the RB5 worked so well. If it it stays like that or worse Red Bull will have the edge. But if it gets warm on Saturday and Sunday Brawn will dominate once again.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Britian Chassis:

Webber: RB5-02
Vettel: RB5-04 (New chassis) No more Kate or Kates Dirty Sister for Vettel.