Wow, that's a bit too much from mr. B

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Re: Wow, that's a bit too much from mr. B

jwielage wrote:
If FOTA were to run a championship on the core circuits, like:

1. Melbourne (and/or Adelaide),
2. Imola,
3. Catalunya (and/or Valencia and/or Jerez),
4. Monaco,
5. Silverstone (and/or Brands Hatch and/or Donington),
6. Magny-Cours,
7. Nurburgring (and/or Hockenheim),
8. Monza,
9. Spa,
10. Hungaroring,
11. Canada,
12. Suzuka,
13. Interlargos,
14. Indy (and/or Road America and/or Laguna Seca)
15. Zandvoort (maybe?)

With options of the soul-less circuits like Sepang, Bejing, Turkey, Bahrain etc

That is at least 15 (going up to 23) races.
What about Montreal, I'm sure they would be more than happy to piss Bernie off after the BS he has pulled with them.
Errr, number 11? :)
jwielage wrote: I agree, I think this is something that the FOTA could make work. Besides if you strip the teams away FOM they will have lost a lot of their power and substantialy all of their future revenue stream.
Yeap. Exactly my thinking. All of FOTA's power is derived from the teams.

Much like the old Kings & Queens of old. The peasants just need to realise it is them that is the source of their power.

Viva la revolution eh? :D

alelanza
alelanza

If you can't give your fans something to love, give them something to hate. Chances are they'll then watch even more intensely.

I think Bernie plays this role quite well :)
Alejandro L.

donskar
donskar

We're all pretty much immune to Bernie and Max's crudeness and lack of class, but imagine that you're the CMO (Chief Marketing Officer) of a large company considering spending several million dollars (or pounds or euros) to sponsor an F1 team. I was the cringing underling bringing a proposal to Campaq's CMO to sponsor WIlliams; it flew then, but it would probably NOT be accepted today.

This constant, ongoing stupidity will make it increasingly difficult for teams to sign major sponsors. If they want to sponsor crude boors, they can put their money in NASCAR.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

tk421

Would anyone be offended if I jumped up and cheered when old man ecclestone finally kicks the bucket? :mrgreen:
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

vall
vall

not to offend the old folk, but at age of 78/68, people start to behave childish sometimes and the brain doesn't work well. People should know (or be reminded) when it is time to call it off. But these greedy idio*t will never do it

Roger the knife

Starts to sound like Bernie's losing it, now he blames teams for losing Indy and Canada !!!, they wanted too much money, up to now his line has always been I wanted too much money. There has to be a nasty suspicion that this is all part of a plan to divide the FOTA camp before it does UDI, and Bernie's left with nothing

Michiba
Michiba

I assume that allowing the debatable diffusers is part of this divide and conquering.

So what is the main reason stopping the teams from a breakaway series? Too much politics between the teams?

jwielage
jwielage

So what is the main reason stopping the teams from a breakaway series? Too much politics between the teams?
In my opinion one of the reasons the teams won't break away is Bernies age.

None of these teams want to give up the prestige and history that "Formula 1" stands for. While the racing would be the same the perception would be different, this would hurt sponsorship and commercial licensing deals. So even without incurring any cash expenses the potential revenue base would most likely decrease in the short to medium term.
In addition there would be some rather large up front costs to get the ball rolling.

Clearly their would be some upsides though. Teams would no longer be paying FOM an absurdly large percentage of the revenue to mearly orgainize the Championship. In my opinion FOM performs a very low value added funtion and in return receives a disporportionate amount of the earnings.

So, back to my hypothesis about bernies age... If Bernie were say 45 or 50, the teams could expect to deal with his BS for another couple of decades. If this were the case I think the teams would consider leaving. Seeing as how Bernie is a pretty old dude, I think they will wait it out. Any reasonable person, who is not batsh*t crazy and senile, would be willing to admit that it is the teams who make the F1 brand valuable.
“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so" - Mark Twain

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

If FOTA were to run a champoinship im shure they would have 18 races with some countrys having a rotating track basis like:

1) Austrailia - Melbourn/Adalade
2) Japan - Suzuka/Fuji/Motegi
3) Bahrain & Abu Dahbi rotational
4) Spain - Barcelona/Jerez
5) Monaco
6) European Rotational (Algarve/Mujello/Zandovoort/A1 Ring/Brands Hatch/Paul Ricard)
7) France - Magney-Cours/Le Mans Bugatti
8) Britian - Silverstone/Donnington
9) Germany - Nurburgring/Hockenheimring
10) Canada - Montreal
11) USA - Indy/Laguna Seca (Or just make this the only F1 race held on a oval???)
12) Hungarian - Hungaroring
13) Belgian - Spa
14) Itilian - Monza
15) Mediteranian - Imola/Valencia
16) Brazil - Interlagos
17) Singapore Night Race
18) Pacific Rotational (Sepang/Shanghai/Korean International)

However i do feel that there should be at least 10 GPs protectec for historical purposes. Brittish, French, German, Monaco, Canada, Australia, Brazilian, Itilian, Belgian and the Spanish GPs would be my votes, they should not be removed from the calander as they are all key to the champoionship being standardised so todays drivers can have some of the challenges that have been in place since the Juan Fanjio thru to Stewart/Clark and Laudas days and then the Schumacher era.

Dukeage
Dukeage

The other option is waiting for the economy to get worse, hope some of the Jenga blocks have been given a wiggle, forcing Bernie to sell F1.

donskar
donskar

jwielage wrote:
In my opinion one of the reasons the teams won't break away is Bernies age.

None of these teams want to give up the prestige and history that "Formula 1" stands for. While the racing would be the same the perception would be different, this would hurt sponsorship and commercial licensing deals. So even without incurring any cash expenses the potential revenue base would most likely decrease in the short to medium term.
In addition there would be some rather large up front costs to get the ball rolling.

Clearly their would be some upsides though. Teams would no longer be paying FOM an absurdly large percentage of the revenue to mearly orgainize the Championship. In my opinion FOM performs a very low value added funtion and in return receives a disporportionate amount of the earnings.

So, back to my hypothesis about bernies age... If Bernie were say 45 or 50, the teams could expect to deal with his BS for another couple of decades. If this were the case I think the teams would consider leaving. Seeing as how Bernie is a pretty old dude, I think they will wait it out. Any reasonable person, who is not batsh*t crazy and senile, would be willing to admit that it is the teams who make the F1 brand valuable.
Bernie could be around for another 5 - 10 years easily.

allan
allan

dude, he's a human-being, not a turtle!

donskar
donskar

My mother is 85 and my mother-in-law is 92. Both are in good physical health and are VERY sharp mentally.

And Bernie is driven by meanness and greed.

modbaraban
modbaraban

allan wrote:dude, he's a human-being, not a turtle!
Is he?

I was thinking, what if someone sane (like Todt) repleces Max Prancing Arse Mosley, how long would BE hold on with a new FIA boss?

allan
allan

modbaraban wrote:
allan wrote:dude, he's a human-being, not a turtle!
Is he?

I was thinking, what if someone sane (like Todt) repleces Max Prancing Arse Mosley, how long would BE hold on with a new FIA boss?
i'd say that saying jesus's coming tomorrow has higher chances than that happening!
That's impressive donskar! (knock on wood). im just counting on the fact that males live 4-7 years less than females...
can't wait til tamaraa takes control after her dad