Lewis third, Jarno given 25s penalty > Trulli 3rd, Lewis DSQ

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dp35
dp35

Re: Lewis third, Jarno handed 25 sec penalty

I'm amazed that F1 officials don't have the in-car videos and all radio communications from every car, available to them immediatley after the race. Using that information, they should be able to determine the truth about things such as this, without dragging it on for days. But then again, if it was ever that logical and non-dramatic, it wouldn't really be F1 would it?

nudger
nudger

and just to add to the confusion...say trulli did pass him but then realized he didnt have a problem, and had just gone off line and slowed a bit...as often they do behind a safety car...shouldnt he then have given the place back to hamilton?

i suspect trulli knew very well why hamilton was doing what he did...and suspect they both told their own version to the stewards

GTO

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/04/ ... ulli-pass/

Stewards do half-ass job in Aus, thus this issue drags on to Malay. :x

FLC
FLC

Someone got his hands on Toyota's radio recording from the last 6 min. of the race and you can hear Trulli saying he tried to give back the place twice and Hamilton wouldn't take it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OohT1HbaEF0

around 3:30...

andartop
andartop

I don't know EXACTLY what happened as I was not there. BUT if what people are now reporting is true, I find 2 things shocking:
a)That the reigning world champion doesn't know the rules of the sport he is competing in.
b)That McLaren still haven't learned that it's all right to do something wrong but if you 're caught you better not lie about it!
:lol:
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

ernos5

omg Hamilton always causing trouble.. [-X

mcdenife
mcdenife

andartop wrote:I don't know EXACTLY what happened as I was not there. BUT if what people are now reporting is true, I find 2 things shocking:
a)That the reigning world champion doesn't know the rules of the sport he is competing in.
b)That McLaren still haven't learned that it's all right to do something wrong but if you 're caught you better not lie about it!
:lol:
Isnt that precisely the point, what are the rules in such situation??? The stewards have should have used common sence and let the finishing results stand given both parties explanations. It could be argued that both drivers passed under yellows given the lack of rules clarity. What is shocking is
a) Another case of a need to clarify the rules and because of this Mcl were right to ask LH to give the place back (as they say once bitten twice shy, no?).
b)Another case of not liking someone and looking for something/anything to beat him with, deservedly or not.
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

Miguel
Miguel

April's Fools? I mean, of all the stories that I've heard lately, the most credible one is that of McLaren's KERS being too powerful. Come on, now Hamilton has lied and all his points will be removed. And on April's 1st. This is just not right.

EDIT: The spanish version of GPupdate.net contains no traces of Hamilton's penalty. The closest to it is "Toyota decides not to appeal Trulli's penalty".
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

axle
axle

EDIT: I don't think it's an April Fools based on the times of the press releases such as this one today http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74138.

This really makes no sense.

LH gets 3rd cause the Toyota falls off the track.
At this point he can just stay there and all is good.
Someone at McLaren (driver or team) decide that Trulli should be let back past, an odd decision.
Then McLaren realise they've c0cked up and given away a vital point, so fabricate a BS story to get Trulli demoted, realising that a decision given after the race is un-appealable.
Pretty underhanded so far...but then they tell the press a different story to the stewards, plain dumb!

Nothing adds up here, it's either McLaren are incredibly dumb (which I struggle to believe), or we've not got the real story. Personally I'll wait for the official story before deciding who is in the wrong. If it's true it's a dark day for LH and McLaren. LH isn't much liked in the paddock at any rate and stitching up a fellow driver would be very low.

I really hope for the sport this isn't true.
Last edited by axle on 02 Apr 2009, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
- Axle

vall
vall

Here we go! It seems he lied to the stewards

http://www.f1technical.net/news/12009

(I already posted this, but to the wrong thread)

axle
axle

Lewis DQ'd from Aus results!!!

http://www.f1technical.net/news/12009
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74146

Another dark day for McLaren and Lewis. :(

Why!? Why do they feel the need to pull these stunts?! Morons.
- Axle

myurr
myurr

Okay sod this, I really am quitting F1 for this year. The whole thing is a farce and I'm not going to waste any more time with it.

axle
axle

A statement issued by the stewards said: "The Stewards having considered the new elements presented to them from the 2009 Australian Formula One Grand Prix, consider that driver No 1 Lewis Hamilton and the competitor Vodafone McLaren Mercedes acted in a manner prejudicial to the conduct of the event by providing evidence deliberately misleading to the Stewards at the hearing on Sunday 29th March 2009, a breach of Article 151c of the International Sporting Code.

"Under Article 158 of the International Sporting Code the driver No 1 Lewis Hamilton and the competitor Vodafone McLaren Mercedes are excluded from the race classification for the 2009 Australian Grand Prix and the classification is amended accordingly."

I just don't get it at all. 4th place was better than they could have hoped for, settling for that would have been far more sensible after their cockup of telling Lewis to let Trulli back past.

For all the supposed brain power at McLaren they seem to lack a person who actually understands the rules!
- Axle

waynes
waynes

myurr wrote:Okay sod this, I really am quitting F1 for this year. The whole thing is a farce and I'm not going to waste any more time with it.
you what?

Hamilton and Mclaren lied to gain an advantage, and have been correctly removed from the results

simple as that

db__

Does this qualify as the worst result on record for a returning Champion?