Brawn BGP001 aero-mech development in 2009

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Callum

Re: Brawn BGP001 aero-mech development in 2009

bar555 wrote:Here is a very good link explaining in graphics how Brawn's diffuser works

http://www.marca.com/2009/04/15/motor/f ... 25973.html

here are some images taken

Brilliant find...if only i could read spanish

ISLAMATRON

it might be pretty and all with the pics but I dont think it accuratly depics what is going on in the Brawn diffuser.

PlatinumZealot

Nice graphical skills but it is wrong.. LOL

Somebody have to tell him to modify his drawings. Tell him to put the holes under the car.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

sticky667
sticky667

Ross Brawn interview on www.jamesallonf1.com wrote:What happened to your pace in the second part of qualifying?
“We had a bit of a problem with some settings on the car, it’s not quite right in some parts of the track. We have a problem with the suspension topping out and as the grip has improved it’s been getting worse because we haven’t got enough rear suspension travel. It’s a legacy of fitting the Mercedes Benz engine because we had to lift the gearbox up to fit the engine and it’s causing a few problems.
hopefully we get to see the update on this matter. i'm very interested how they will resolve the issue.

ISLAMATRON

yes I saw that too and found it very interesting... of course they could increase the spring rate to make up for the lack of suspension travel but that would bring in other problems like a lack of traction out of slow speed corners.

by topping out, does he mean in rebound or in jounce?

sticky667
sticky667

i believe Ross is referring to rebound.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

I forgot where I read it but he did mention in the same interview that it runs out of travel in droop....

xpensive
xpensive

Great images Callum, to the best of my understanding, I think they give a reaonable explanation of what the argument is all about. Although it is dificult to know precisely how those openings to the secondary central-diffuser are arranged.

And hey, about those masters just shooting your pics down without having a shred of their own to contribute, think nothing of it, this forum is rather densly populated by engineering-wannabees. :lol:
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

vasia
vasia

wesley123 wrote:The brawn cars have a genial view on teh rules, those flaps on the wheel and diffuser are a small part of it, i am getting more and more the felling that they far from showed all the potential in the car. Every car looks like a toy car when you compare it to this car.
Ross Brawn did a tremendous job with the car, but all other cars looking like "toy" cars ... not exactly. Toyota's TF109 also has vertically stacked winglets between the rear wing and rear wheels to generate additional downforce. Toyota's diffuser is arguably more complex than the Brawn. Red Bull's RB5 has a quite complex front wing as well as front nose. The RB5 rear packaging is also quite complex.

ISLAMATRON

Does the split front wing endplate of the BGP allow for more airflow over the front wing in mid corner?

kNt
kNt

xpensive wrote:Great images Callum, to the best of my understanding, I think they give a reaonable explanation of what the argument is all about. Although it is dificult to know precisely how those openings to the secondary central-diffuser are arranged.

And hey, about those masters just shooting your pics down without having a shred of their own to contribute, think nothing of it, this forum is rather densly populated by engineering-wannabees. :lol:
Well the pics are wrong and show that the drawer has no idea of how the diffuser works. the holes should draw air from below the car not allow outside air into the diffuser.

And as such they hurt the discussion and are annoying to anybdy that wants to find out what's really going on.

Scania
Scania

But I don't know how can it increase down force if the air is not from the bottom of the car but the upper side of the chassis & it is go to the 2nd/F of diffuser directly??

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

xpensive wrote:Great images Callum, to the best of my understanding, I think they give a reaonable explanation of what the argument is all about. Although it is dificult to know precisely how those openings to the secondary central-diffuser are arranged.

Cosidering diffuser is a secondary device in ground effect aero to enhance the function of the floor's interaction with the groundplane, without making use of the airflow through the underside the diffuser does nothing. I'd think introducing "top side" flow into the diffuser would actually hurt the function of the diffuser...

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

OK. So I am even more confused now after seeing above. On the Macca illustration their are holes in that diffuser which I thought wasnt allowed under the rules / regs?

Scotracer
Scotracer

jason.parker.86 wrote:OK. So I am even more confused now after seeing above. On the Macca illustration their are holes in that diffuser which I thought wasnt allowed under the rules / regs?
It's how you define them...it's all semantics!
Powertrain Cooling Engineer