US Grand Prix

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
andartop
andartop

Re: US Grand Prix

Laguna Seca is a nice track, but isn't it a bit on the short side for F1? What would a lap time be like, 1'05'' or something? If they went there, the Brawn GP cars would lap everyone in the field, twice..
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

natef1
natef1

San Francisco? :lol:

But no, seriously, it would be nice to go back to the US for a GP.

flynfrog

Daytona road course

jddh1

natef1 wrote:San Francisco? :lol:

But no, seriously, it would be nice to go back to the US for a GP.
I'd love to see an F1 car go through that, even if it's an exhibition. I just want to see if it can go down faster than, say, a Mini or a VW GTi.

jddh1

modbaraban wrote: Image

:roll:
That street has so many potholes F1 cars would break down before getting to the first corner, and that's in Free Practice 1. It pains me to drive my own car on that street, let alone a F1 car.

But let's say they fix the roads and they block a few streets and avenues. Do you have any idea how many New Yorkers would that piss off? We don't like such things to disturb our daily life. (Although getting stuck in traffic for an hour doesn't phase us much even though, essentially, it's the same thing; you're not going anywhere.)

A few years back we had the Republican National Convention. Half of Midtown was blocked off for a few days. I remember people in the news really pissed. LOL. I don't mean tourists; I think they were excited for some reason. But real New Yorkers were pissed off. We think tourists are mostly on the way too with their slow walks taking hours to cross the street when they're not supposed to. LOL

The only reason we accept our streets being blocked off is if a local team wins a national championship and we get to celebrate it downtown.

Scania
Scania

how about Cleveland?

xpensive
xpensive

Boooring...zzzz...
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

xpensive wrote:My ideas about F1 at Road America, in Wisconsin I think, was based on the naive concept of what racing it could produce, not on how to get wealthy and ignorant Bigcity-Americans there or how much money it could generate for MrE to steal.
Amen.

If FOTA made their own championship.... :idea:

theoracle
theoracle

Meadowlands would be the most appropriate location in the NYC area.

In the city it would be cool but impossible to get approved. Forget viability, just imagine the noise complaints.
Just out of curiosity, how would you design the circuit?

Atlantic yards would never be approved for the change as there is already too much stuff going on there.
The only area in town that might work is Westside Railyards on the Hudson, combined with some street racing (too small otherwise), just next to the Javits Convention center. major problem there (apart for the noise issue ) is that that land is likely too valuable to transform it into a circuit.

on the other hand the meadowlands could be solidified as the 'sports hub' of nyc

wrcsti
wrcsti

flynfrog wrote:Daytona road course
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!
I live like 3 Hours from daytona :D

Ted68

Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

cba_
cba_

Looks very bumpy 8)

The FOZ
The FOZ

Oval track, anyone? :D

Houser

I would love to have the US GP held in Daytona for the sole purpose that I live 45 minutes away lol, but realistically I don't think is suitable for F1 cars.

Another location that no one has brought up is St. Petersburg, FL. IRL hold a GP there every year. It's a course connected to an airport and runs about 4 blocks into the city. I went to the race a couple weeks ago thought it was great. The only modification I think they would need to make this an F1 race is make it a little longer track. Maybe farther into the city a block or two? But heres the track for IRL they used this year...
-Houser

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself."
-Ferdinand Porsche

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Here is a supposed street circuit in NYC.

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.