ha! Irvine says it again...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Steven
Owner

ha! Irvine says it again...

Well, at last someone who dares to say BAR have made the wrong decision with Sato:

The caustic Ulsterman, who is wanted for arrest in England for snubbing a court appearance, reckons BAR's team boss has failed to employ 'two decent drivers.'

'Takuma Sato is not a front-running racer,' Irvine told The Sun. Eddie said Richards should have kept 1997 champ Jacques Villeneuve on the books.

'Whatever you think of Jacques,' said Irvine, 'you don't question his speed.' (f1racing)

Well I firmly agree! End of story 8)

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Don't think it was the wrong decision.....In this months F1 Racing magazine it says that Sato is the all time best pay-driver in terms of amout!!!....if it wasn't for him in the team Honda wouldn't support them as much...$165 millin in engines and an extra $35 million in reaserch and devolpment for the chassis.

West
West

Irvine also suggested that Montoya run Schumacher off the road, in response to the Imola start.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

whoever saw Sato in his burst up the goodwood Hill some years ago (as BAR testdriver) cannot say he is not a very capable and dtermined guy.
Irvine who also drove that day in the Jag was not even starring in terms of burnouts,I might add.
Jaques should have his chance at Williams and I hope this chance will materialize during this season as Ralf has retired already and Montoya is just impossible to retain with his conduct for BMW and Williams.

rob2004
rob2004

as much as i like irvine for entertainment value....He has a poor record with regards to having insight....well insight into formula one, that is....he is an excellent business man
today's fast is tomorrow's sauber

j4kwan
j4kwan

Irv's awesome...we need babbler mouths like his in F1. Racers are too politically correct these days...no personalities!

walter
walter

There's nothing political about putting down fellow racers!

Drivers like Irvine, Ralf and Jacques are outspoken alright, I'll give them that, but they have little constructive to say. Formula One needs drivers Like Sato, he believes in himself rather than trying to criticize others for his own inequities. I want to see drivers battle it out on the track not in front of the microphone, we need better racers not blabber-mouths.

bernard
bernard

I don't think Sato is a top-team driver. Shure, he is somewhat fast every now and then, but he is still too much like a midfield driver, i.e making at least a few critical mistakes/weekend. Too much, comparing to the drivers that really are wc winning material. How often do you see Schumi spinning in qualifying, or busting his front wing, or making braking mistakes in crucial places, or anything else that seems to characterize sato's driving?

Spencifer_Murphy

I think its true that we really do need some more "characters" on the Grid. Now we are left with JPM and thats more or less it. Jacques, Irv, Mansell etc. All really great guys to watch in an interview. But I must admit that in his latter years in F1 and now Irv did have relatively little to say that was constructive or worthwhile listening to. And I'm an Irvine fan! LOL. Schumi is a great driver, but he puts you to sleep listening to him in a press confrence.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

characters get in the newspaper...how many times has Irvine been in the papers without winning a race or even getting close?

Even in Canada, his name is in the sports pages and because of his trivial banter more and more people know what F1 is. His squak with the law recently made it in the sports section and he's retired!!! HAW!

The only names that are usually mentioned (without a win or podium) in Canada are Montoya, JV, Irv 'cause they talk and squak and its all good...

There's no such thing as bad publicity...there's only publicity....

characters get in the newspaper...how many times has Irvine been in the papers without winning a race or even getting close?

Even in Canada, his name is in the sports pages and because of his trivial banter more and more people know what F1 is. His squak with the law recently made it in the sports section and he's retired!!! HAW!

The only names that are usually mentioned (without a win or podium) in Canada are Montoya, JV, Irv 'cause they talk and squak and its all good...

There's no such thing as bad publicity...there's only publicity....

SKRAT
SKRAT

Well Sato is quite there (yet?), but he's either pretty damn lucky or has got something to not destroy his car while spinning twice ( saving that qual spin on the last turn was something, and he still qualified ahead of the Mindardi ).

Maybe Sato isn't a 'personality' but he's obviously pushing the limits of his car and engine. And you really can't work on making the performance envelope bigger without bumping into it a few times. We'll see with some more experience if he's really as good as he sometimes shows the potential for, or if he's just reckless all the time.

At least he's helping to make something interesting!
-Skrat

rodders
rodders

Just BIG mouth EDDIE trying to be what he never was !!

Who gives a S*&^% T what Eddie says, to me he was always and will always be a Leprachaun with a little green cap