What are Mclaren doing!?!?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
F1-Noob
F1-Noob

What are Mclaren doing!?!?

What are they doing? They are still looooong way off pace. I can't see that they have closed the gap to the ferraris since Australia :cry:
How do you think the MP4-19b will look like?
Why do they still have problems with the car, although their new car was tested in november?
Right now I'm so bored that a team like Mclaren is so far back. Hope they will improve to Monaco and it will be a turnaround like Williams did last year. :D

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

don't forget that Mclaren tried do develop 2 cars at the same time last year....and Mercedes have made 4 new engines in the last 3 years.

I believe that the problem is with Mercedes...but it's not their complet fault Mclaren has part of the fault.......the creation of the MP4-18....ddid bring alot of problems due to the fact that Mclaren wanted the smallest rear end possible.....this brought them heating problems that delayed the engine devolpment.....due to the heating the engines had problems....and the gearbox also....so they weren0't able to pin-point ou the engine problems at an early stage....and correcting the problems takes a while.

So part of the problem is Mclaren.....you can't do revolutions without thinking of the problems they might bring.....probably Mclaren didn't think of the heating problems....they just wantd a good aero car from the out side.....but really didn't hink of the air circulation underneth the engine cover.

F1-Noob
F1-Noob

But what I have seen the 19 doesn't have overheating problems. The engine blow ups so far this season is because of other problems. But they lacks pace to.
I have heard that they had developed a double-clutch gearbox. But why did the they devlop something which they wasn't sure of if it would be legal? I think if they have evolved the 17d they I think they would be right up there with the ferraris. But what kind of problems does the new car has?

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

My point is that at the early stage of developing the MP4-19 suffered from overheating....and the early problems with the engine were hidden behind the over-heating problem...probably mercedes and mclaren thought the prblems were only in the car. When the noticed it was also an engine problem it was too late to solve anything....so they're solving the problems during the season.

Steven
Owner

There's more here:

viewtopic.php?t=610

MP4-19B will resemble 19A only from the front/nose. The rest of the aerodynamics will be completely revamped! Especially at the rear.

I suspect the rear will look more like 17D(which itself had lack of grip problems for 1 lap qualifying). Obviously suspension geometry would change big time, since the current route followed with 19A(& 18 as well!!) is not allowing for enough mechanical grip. Ever since MP4-18 was out they should have realised that the way their suspensions are mounetd does not allow for enough mechanical grip. Instead they went ahead to carry-over the problem on MP4-19!. Call it shooting urself on the foot!

Realistically, McLaren have no chance of making it into the points - on outright peformance - unless the others make BIG mistakes. Even the Sauber/Bridgestone combination should be a hard nut to crack till Hockenheim... perhaps...

rodders
rodders

well to me it is a bit simple !!

Richards moved to BAR and they start being very competitive !!

Maybe it's all a Management thing ???? or lack of ???

How can Mclaren solve problems dnow when they are trying hard for over a year now without any success?the only thing that speaks for them is :You learn most from your mistakes...but when you look at Mp18 one asks what they learned....
If I were Mclaren i would alter my race strategies totally ,go for low fuel in Qualy and make short stops in the first half of the race...this would boost the performance of the car and keep the cars at the front of the field.Good for team moral and stops all the bad mouthing.then if the car holdsa up,you will drop back a bit but that is still bettter than being glued to the tail of the field from the start.....As Performance improves the drop back would be reduced .And the people would have a bit of breathing space .
Looks like forces in the teamWANT to make some people look stupid...

Even with an empty fuel tank Mclaren would not do a low 1m15 at Barcelona to beat Schumacher for pole!! So what's the need?

Irvingthien
Irvingthien

Well,for me,I blame McLaren,Mercedes and Michelin.Since Ferrari complained about the Michelin tyres in 2003,they haven't been competitive.McLaren's fault for trying something so hard and never have any success and Mercedes' fault for always designing poor engines.The whole package just sux!!!The carbonfibre-titanium gearbox isn't good,no mechanical grip,can't believe I didn't see this coming.

It is worrying that McLaren seem to be going down the same path again, developing yet another car mid season. Will this have the same affect as last season, will the MP4-19 ever race or will it through up a whole host of new problems? I can't see how they have changed there aproch to fix the fundamental cause of there problems?

Despite the 'improvements' they alledgely made - according to Martin Whitmarsh - at the Silverstone test prior to the Spanish GP, McLaren's pace at Barcelona was even worst than some midfield teams (Sauber, Jaguar, Toyota, Jordan)!!.

I recall Raikkonen say after Mebourne 2004 - "What ever we do, we cannot get any lower (in lap times)!"

MP4-19A is a --- donkey!!

F1-Noob
F1-Noob

I really hopes that the mp4-19b will be much more faster and more reliable than this car. If it gonna be like this car, it's very bad for mclaren and Raikkonen. David Coulthard has said that all the hopes will be on the 19b. So this car is really a pack of ---. :oops:

F1-Noob
F1-Noob

Oh forgot something. Don't you think that Mclaren are very inefficient?
They began to test the new car as early as November and the mp4-18 (which is almost same car as the 19)since may last year but still have a lack of pace and reliability.
In comparison with Ferrari and BAR who tested their new car as late as Februar and have both pace and reliability.
But I can't understand something. It's when they first tested their new car, they didn't have problems and suddenly after christmas I think they got lots of problems. Why? Can anyone explain this?

Silver-Arrowz
Silver-Arrowz

I think it was something to do with the rear wing. The rear wing didn't meet 04 requirements so they had to go back to the drawing boards. Having done this it probably had a big knock on affect.