What are Mclaren doing!?!?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

possibly engine whoes thru reduced aero forces????
I think Mclaren acts like a big company ...everybody protects his own affairs and if things go wrong the others are at fault.The times were political so there´s no big thing behind the sudden drop in performance when they had to compare against the rivals.
BTW Williams are at sea as well,they promised a world beater ,both drivers were enthusing about the car over the winter.....even giving ferrari no chance...and now they trail BAR wich were doing sponsorlaps according to ralf......reality check accomplished....thats the difference to michael...
In F1 nothing is set in stone.You have to work hard and be bright and inventive to stay art the sharp end...how long will they all look at Renaults starting so good?It is the third year now,and even Ferrari has not found out how it is done...clever boys...And why does Gascoyne at Toyota not have those starting performance?????He was the tech director,so he should know.....or not????? If I were Toyota I would ask this question...
instead of promising massive cg lowering during the season....sure Brunner is an idiot and cannot build a car with a very low cg....or would they resort to using uranium or gold as ballast???
marcush.

Irvingthien
Irvingthien

Well,F1-live have recealed all.McLaren failed because of Coughlan.They bought him in becuase they want his twin keel expertise and look what he has done.The new brake supplier sux,that's the cause of engine blowing up.Total rubbish....

Micky
Micky

I don't think the brakes are causing the engine to blow up...the engines just crap

I don't see the relation between brake discs & engine. Do you?

Total RUBBISH @F1live indeed...

West
West

McLaren got their cars to cross the line, a first. And David was ahead.

BTW I played GT4 when I went to E3 on Friday, American time. The McLaren F1 GTR is in it! I drove it and it's a really good car; the engine sounds great as well. Other notables are the 2001 M3 GTR and 1999 BMW LMP (forgot what it was called).
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

West
West

Anonymous wrote:I don't see the relation between brake discs & engine. Do you?

Total RUBBISH @F1live indeed...
They said the brakes were bad and simultaneously the engine would fail. I doubt they meant there was a correlation between the two; it was just coincidental that the twin keel was poorly developed, they weren't used to the new brake supplier, and then the engine was going bad. F1-live was trying to compound the fact that the MP4/19 was in bad shape going into this season... have a little common sense people...

West
West

Anonymous wrote:possibly engine whoes thru reduced aero forces????
I think Mclaren acts like a big company ...everybody protects his own affairs and if things go wrong the others are at fault.The times were political so there´s no big thing behind the sudden drop in performance when they had to compare against the rivals.
BTW Williams are at sea as well,they promised a world beater ,both drivers were enthusing about the car over the winter.....even giving ferrari no chance...and now they trail BAR wich were doing sponsorlaps according to ralf......reality check accomplished....thats the difference to michael...
In F1 nothing is set in stone.You have to work hard and be bright and inventive to stay art the sharp end...how long will they all look at Renaults starting so good?It is the third year now,and even Ferrari has not found out how it is done...clever boys...And why does Gascoyne at Toyota not have those starting performance?????He was the tech director,so he should know.....or not????? If I were Toyota I would ask this question...
instead of promising massive cg lowering during the season....sure Brunner is an idiot and cannot build a car with a very low cg....or would they resort to using uranium or gold as ballast???
marcush.
Well I never trusted Toyota's designs under Brunner... I mean wasn't he head of aero at Minardi a while back? If that team didn't have money back then how can they positively develop aerodynamics?

I think Gascoyne should be techincal director of the whole team, whatever that job does.

This all sucks...If money is not a problem and I know what is wrong with the car and know how it can be fixed I just get the people to do what is needed,end of story.
Telling you´d need 15(!) months is total crap as they do two complete cars in that time.IMO Gascoyne does not know how Renault made those starts and he has no idea about the finer points of the Renault performance.
As for Mclaren ...anyone forgot that Neway wanted to go and had a contract in place with Jaguar?What about the people working under him now,will they applaud that he was lured back with bags of cash?sure.
I bet there are forces within the team wanting him to look silly...and that´s what happened..they have burned quite a lot of money in recent times......

Clearly McLaren are/have miserably failing with their MP4-18/19 series of cars. After all is said and done, in all fairness I don't think an organisation like McLaren -boasting geniuses such as Adrian Newey & perhaps Mario Illien- have lost it.

There is one very probable likely explanation for their failures with these series of cars lately: McLaren & Mercedes have tried some things & concepts which have simply not payed dividents -yet.

As David Coulthard said after Melbourne 2004, "This is Formula One, not Rocket Science". McLaren-Mercedes I beleive, have tried to push the technical envelope too far beyond reality & feasibility.

Aerodynamics, gearbox, suspensions, engine, all those parts to my understanding are flawed & too complex.

Go back to strong, simple, efficient designs McLaren!!. You cannot re-invent the wheel!

Becker4
Becker4

i agree.

marcush.
marcush.

huh..I know one chap working on ariane rockets and Airconsuming rocketengines,you see the same problems there,so not much differenceapart from the ariane falling into the ocean and everybody knew before but would not tell in public...
The big issue seems that Mclaren and williams fail to close the gap wheras BAR and Renault seem well capable of doing so ,good news for michelin ,otherwise they would face some flak now...
As for Mclarens failure to produce a winning design what is so advanced on the Mac?Can hardly spot anything spectacular onthe car other than the impression it is a 2004 version of the 891Leytonhouse wich worked formidable in Paul Ricard but failed everywhere else.
I admire Neway for his achievements but not going to Jaguar then was not the clever move...but hey ,he ´s on the world to design ,isn´t he?

tetopelis
tetopelis

been reading all the post......it is always easy for us to criticise from the outside and say they suck and they are wasting away their money and newey should have left when he could...very easy to do tat....but do any of us actually know wat they are actually doing back at Paragon?...no.so i guess its better we be abit more constructive then throwing assumptious spats at Mclaren....the car is not preformin...true.alot of problems..true.but its not that Mclaren is doing nothin about it..they are tryin to solve the situation.the last test at Paul Ricard seemed to show some positive results..quite a high number of mileage...pace wise not too bad.it seems to be a good step in the right direction.so they are workin..its not like they are not doing anything. but the solution is not going to fall out of the sky.it will take time.who knows how long..we'll just wait and see.
" If you want to win, get a Finn" - Hakkinen

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Like the saying goes:

"it's easy to make a quick car reliable but it's hard to make a reliable car go quick"

In Mclarens case the idea was to make it quick and after that reliable....but problems in both the areas....have hampered their title dream.

just look at theoutfit and presentation of mac at the races.If they do fail to deliver they have to take the flak .Remember ,they promised to be the ones to ne beaten to the worldtitle this year....looking at the ir budget they just have to deliver as Toyota has to deliver.Theres no room for being sorry for them they made the bed they have to sleep in now(ove Anderson about the current situation)

-shr3d-
-shr3d-

there can be no doubt that the Paragon project has taken a lot of Ron Dennis's time with his legendary attention to detail and no doubt this has a flow on effect through the whole team. Now that his baby has opened it will be interesting to see if he can pull the team around...
I dont think that Newey staying at Mclaren could encourage the rest of the engineering team to sabotage any of their projects...far too much at stake for that these days... the more pertinent point is whether Newey needs someone to control his flow of ideas and pull them all together like Patrick Head did with Williams.