My F1 car - LegendaryM

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
machin

Re: My F1 car

Probably my last update (this is taking up WAY too much time!).. front wing now features very curvy elements, rather than my previous straight ones....

My wing elements are just 4 point spline loops, so like LegendaryM's they could definitely do with a bit of optimising! :lol:

....I've just done this as a modelling exercise, I know it won't be particularly great aero-wise since I've just stuck the wings on and that's the main reason why I'm not that keen on getting any CFD done....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

LegendaryM

Just a minor update, I probably won't be able to get the front brake duct and cooling updates done today, I have added some fences under the front wing, similar to the Mclaren:
MRVC: Tolo Racing

bigoudi
bigoudi

Front wing optimizing is already a vast subject guys..I can adjust the thickness and the chord length but this will only give first ideas.As we all know, Specific track require specific configuration including angle of attack, aerofoil shape, gurney and winglets. so I don't know if all of this optimising wing elements topic will be appropriate in this context. I mean that optimising the front wing constitute a subject itself..I will give some updates if it is required but I am more interested to see how your diffuser, shape, and wings contribute to the overall balance of your car.

Waiting for your model legendaryM....Actually I am very impatient [-o<

It is a really good modelling exercise machin...Even if your purpose was not to create the most aerodynamic efficient car, It will give you some assumptions and ideas for future efficient designs..and nice screenshots. :P
But i respect that.
Anyway nice curvy shape....is your wings crossed the internal endplate? After crossing it are they attached to the main wing??

LegendaryM

Relatively minor update to the front brake duct:
@bigoudi I sent you a pm

EDIT:

bigoudi
bigoudi

Yeah I got it..

I will see tomorrow if I can import it easily.And if I have enough time, I'll start on cleaning the geometry.

Keep u update then.

LegendaryM

Another small update - I added a much longer splitter underneath the chassis:

Also, does anyone know if this amount of curvature in the suspension will be ok: (the suspension member extends until the gearbox and there is also a small diagonal support which is part of the bodywork - it is not visible as this is a picture from earlier on in the design)

LegendaryM

Over about 2 days I have redesigned a completely new diffuser. This involved new rear bodywork and a new crash structure. I did this because with the old diffuser design the rear suspension was severely compromised. The new diffuser is similar to Redbull's double decker, yet there 6 openings on the step plane instead of 2, and there is an outer deck which makes use of a possible loophole in article 3.12.6 ( which some teams may already take advantage of slightly. The revised rear bodywork is wider to allow the central part to not fall foul of article 3.8.4. The larger rear bodywork also provides more cooling.

EDIT: Im thinking about changing the front suspension from zero-keel to single-keel. The nose is quite low and zero keel was only introduced to extract more downforce from the central part of the front wing. What are the main advantages/disadvantages of zero and single keels

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

hello good work there is there any free software i could download to create my version of the 09 car really want to try and make it

wesley123
wesley123

i dont think that 6 holes would make sense, i think it will take away lots of air, the second row will get less air then first and so on, i think 2 ducts there are best and then make some sort of 'wings' in that section to keep the QDD idea
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

PlatinumZealot

less air less pressure.. so it makes sense somewhat. The only problem is that all those extra ducts won't be effective because the diffuser has the same exit area..just more divisions in it.

Adding more decks to the same regulation area might just increase drag because of the extra surfaces in that same area..

Two decks work because the rules limit the size of the first deck.. so they just have to add more area from behind and make a duct to feed it. But If they had a choice i think they would just use one bigger diffuser. :-k

This is what I am trying to say: the extra ducts would be more effective like this.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

LegendaryM

n smikle wrote:less air less pressure.. so it makes sense somewhat. The only problem is that all those extra ducts won't be effective because the diffuser has the same exit area..just more divisions in it.

Adding more decks to the same regulation area might just increase drag because of the extra surfaces in that same area..

Two decks work because the rules limit the size of the first deck.. so they just have to add more area from behind and make a duct to feed it. But If they had a choice i think they would just use one bigger diffuser. :-k
So more like this:

Also, what do you think about single-keel, because zero-keel was only used to clear up air from behind the central wing.

EDIT: does anyone know of a free program I can use to render the model were i can set individual faces to be different colours

wesley123
wesley123

Forr endering you might find 3ds max usefull, dunno if it can import those file formats, you at least need to allow solidworks to export as .3ds or find a script that allows 3ds max to import solidworks files.

But like n smikle said, those extra blades will only cause drag, the air entering there will all follow the same route, so extra blades arent needed there, better make use of the 150 mm loophole behind there under the crashbox to make an diffuser extansion or go for a low CofG crashbox wich creates downforce itselves.

Also i think the front wing is too simple, the ned plates are way too simple, compare them too others, those have multiple planes and all different shapes on it, maybe make your own idea in there?

Imo the car is very pitch sensitive, you might have a look how the other teams do that, bar555's treads give a good idea how teams handle with pitch sensitivity, as this is a very important thing in the cars drivability. For exapmle, lola's prototype cars only had 2 simple front diffuser fences to reduce the pitch, this took away front downforce, but that was gained back by the reduced pitch sensitivity.

Also try to cut drag in certain ways, like cutting the sidepods, enginecover etc. as that is a important factor.

LegendaryM

wesley123 wrote:Forr endering you might find 3ds max usefull, dunno if it can import those file formats, you at least need to allow solidworks to export as .3ds or find a script that allows 3ds max to import solidworks files.

But like n smikle said, those extra blades will only cause drag, the air entering there will all follow the same route, so extra blades arent needed there, better make use of the 150 mm loophole behind there under the crashbox to make an diffuser extansion or go for a low CofG crashbox wich creates downforce itselves.

Also i think the front wing is too simple, the ned plates are way too simple, compare them too others, those have multiple planes and all different shapes on it, maybe make your own idea in there?

Imo the car is very pitch sensitive, you might have a look how the other teams do that, bar555's treads give a good idea how teams handle with pitch sensitivity, as this is a very important thing in the cars drivability. For exapmle, lola's prototype cars only had 2 simple front diffuser fences to reduce the pitch, this took away front downforce, but that was gained back by the reduced pitch sensitivity.

Also try to cut drag in certain ways, like cutting the sidepods, enginecover etc. as that is a important factor.
Regarding the diffuser, each level is fed by a different hole. I tried to make the bottom deck larger (compare the two pictures)and I'm probably going to modify it again to be similar to brawn's. Im also going to add williams style fins in the central 75mm zone.
I dont really think the endplates are too simple, i will post a picture for u to have a look, also i will look into the pitch sensitivity thing but there is no way easily test it

LegendaryM

Some updates:

A new diffuser, with only 1 extra central deck instead of 2, yet a larger opening, williams stlye central vanes and more vanes on the outer part of the diffuser;
A mclaren-style floor cutout;
Vortex generators near the splitter;
Also I have a question; does the inlet size (the size of the holes on the floor of the diffuser) make a huge difference or is the size of the exit area more important and what is the best ratio of inlet size to exit size (e.g the exit area should be 3x as big as the inlet area)

wesley123
wesley123

That diffuser will work really clean i guess, but i dont understadn that in fonrt of the diffuser upsweep, i believe it will actually take air away from the diffuser as the air is allowed to flow though there.

And maybe you now can make use of the 15cm centralsection behind the diffuser to create something ala toyota, i think that section could generate lots of downforce, and making the crashbox ala red bull wouldnt even need to create such a deck as you ca create an extension for it without making a complex deck.