Martin Brundle: "Jenson Button is the most complete driver"

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
tarzoon

Re: Martin Brundle: "Jenson Button is the most complete driver"

safeaschuck wrote:we are talking about a man who only two seasons ago tied to blackmail the man who was, at the time, employing him as a driver as the most COMPLETE driver in F1.
That makes him even more complete. A very fast complete dick! :mrgreen:

I still think he lost the championship two years ago because he wanted to. Anyway that's just a thought.

I was expecting more from Nico, but it seems like he's "trullified": fast in training, fast in quali (given the car), very competent mechanical knowledge, but far from great during the race.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

This is rapidly going off topic...

But, Rosbergs race pace is directly related to how the team decides to approach the weekend. They start off during the practices with quali setup, instead of focusing on a set up with longer term pace (race prep). So aside from little to no race preparation, their strategies may not play out so well either.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Ciro Pabón

Yeah, we should merge all the threads like this one in a huge thread called "My driver is better than yours". :)

Every driver is good, except Juan Montoya that, objectively speaking, is better than anyone, including Fangio, Nuvolari, the german and the brazilian guys whose names I cannot remember and Saint Gabriel Archangel.
Ciro

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Or maybe this thead should simply be locked? As it doesn't matter what Brundle (or anyone for that matter) has to say about a driver anyways.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

tarzoon

going back to the topic, I used to underrate Brundle because he was never a real title contender. Then again I was quite young when he was racing. Now I've got some respect because although he says loads of rubbish to keep us busy, he also tells some painful truths about FIA and F1 that the big cardinals would rather leave aside.

Most complete driver? Who cares? Button has been consistent, calm and extremely professional. And with (at the very least) one of the best cars around, he's taking his opportunity.

sidny
sidny

hmmm. Agree with the Montoya comment Ciro, Monty's cool :D . Right, I think confidence is the key, Brundle was nip and tuck with Senna in F3, came into F1, was getting confident and then he smashed his legs and was never as fast. Button was dropped in at the deep end against R.Schumacher and i thought did v well, 4th on grid at spa?. Whilst at bennetton , I think Flav got his claws out, can you imagine Button being beat by Fisi?? wouldn't o thought so. Button is on a huge crest at the mo. good on him. btw Damon Hill was hardly shite. Not the most natural, but a hard worker. I mean , wasn't raikkonen the dogs testicles and massa was poo, now massa's kicking Kimi's bum. Strange this f1 lark. :D

Henning
Henning

I really hope Button wins this year, we'd have 4 World Drivers Champions on the grid.

I wonder when the last time that happened was?

How About if Vettel won it next year...

gridwalker
gridwalker

Henning wrote:I really hope Button wins this year, we'd have 4 World Drivers Champions on the grid.

I wonder when the last time that happened was?

How About if Vettel won it next year...
10 years ago : In 1999, we had Schumacher, Hill, Villeneuve & Häkkinen on the grid ...

*EDIT*
Having checked back as far as 1988, you need to go back more than another 10 years before you get another 4 world champions all racing at the same time, so we'll actually be doing quite well if Button secures his (seemingly inevitable) first world championship.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

jamsbong
jamsbong

I think Button has a fantastic chance of winning despite my fav driver is not him. Good Luck

mike
mike

sidny wrote:I mean , wasn't raikkonen the dogs testicles and massa was poo, now massa's kicking Kimi's bum. Strange this f1 lark. :D
if you give urself too much of a wank, the testies will shrink and the poo will actually smell better,and i think that what ferraris' been doing.

bjpower
bjpower

at least Iv seen both massa and kimi battle from the back of the grid and finish on the podium a few years ago.
button in the best/second best car on the grid. qualified 6th and finished 6th.
as much as some people dislike Hamilton for getting a good car on his entry to F1, he fought for his title.
fantastic to watch, great overtaking maneuvers.
button may be a great driver but is he a racer?

PNSD
PNSD

So you chose to ignore the better races he has done and decide to judge on one cold Sunday afternoon in Silverstone??!!

Racer??? I believe in 2007 he had more overtakings than any other driver.

What about Germany 04? Racer? They're all racers ;-)

bjpower
bjpower

PNSD wrote:So you chose to ignore the better races he has done and decide to judge on one cold Sunday afternoon in Silverstone??!!

Racer??? I believe in 2007 he had more overtakings than any other driver.

What about Germany 04? Racer? They're all racers ;-)
=D>
give me one example from this year. ok he has not had allot of races where he was not on poll but any time he has passed someone it is because they were in the pits or made a mistake.

as for 2007 its easy to battle when you have nothing to louse.
and i judge him on silverstone as he is the current contender for the title. started 6th lost places and did not fight hard to get them back and get up the grid.
chello fought like hell in turkey ( i think)
missing gears and he fought like hell till the car gave up.
ok he did "nudge" a few people :)
but dammit he drove like hell.
but again its easy to battle when you have nothing to louse.

hes a good smooth driver but rated against halimton - he fought for his title.
alonso fought for his, shui - well he fought for a few of them :)

i guess we will see a fight in germany. but i think we will more likely see weber all over the back of button and him settle for second.with vettle clocking up another win.

(to be honest im bored in work)

PNSD
PNSD

You mention Kimi and Massa as racers.

Can you name the times they have overtaken this year (with nothing to lose one could say!). What about Vettel, how do you consider him??

A racer, to me is defined as someone who can take opportunites as they come, nad make the most of it. Jenson did that at Bahrain with Lewis.

At Silverstone he was not trying to overtake because he couldnt! He was slower than all in front of him, the only time he ever was quicker than the guys in front was in the last stint, and then you saw he pushed and pushed to catch up Nico, but as Lewis and Alonso showed earlier in the race its very difficult to pass, even with nothing to lose ;-)!

Barachello made a complete mess of Turkey. It was like watching someone play a PS3 tbh!

I dont think you make a good argument about Jenson not being a good racer and being able to fight, he has proved on numerous occasions.

Giblet
Giblet

They are all racers, and will all pass when given a good safe chance.

Some are better passers than others, but all are racers, pure and true.

I like DC, but could never figure what he was on about when he talked about being a racer compared to everyone else.

Is Hedfield be the "ultimate racer" as he passed two cars at once on two occasions last year in the wet?
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute