Martin Brundle: "Jenson Button is the most complete driver"

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Washngo
Washngo

Re: Martin Brundle: "Jenson Button is the most complete driver"

kilcoo316 wrote:Button cannot be the most complete driver on the grid as he is not the fastest - why is he not the fastest - because he has been trounced before.

Simple.
'Complete' does not mean the 'fastest'.

RH1300S
RH1300S

That's about as clear as it could be Washngo - and I couldn't agree more!

I can't help comparing his relationship with Ross Brawn as being similar to the one Michael Schumacher and Ross Brawn had.

IMPORTANT - I am NOT saying JB is as good as Schumacher.

Like Michael - Jenson is able to deliver when it's required. A special lap needed for pole - "done"; a bit of rethinking about driving style to get the best out of the car "done"; a race pace to let the pitwall deliver the strategy as required "done" - etc. etc.

He is right at the top of his game and I can't help but look at Rubens as a means of comparing him to Schumacher - at the moment Jenson is leaving Rubens a little bit bewildered as to just how to beat him.............

Nuff said.............

Of course, all of this is "AT THE MOMENT" ;)

andartop
andartop

This thread is absolutely unbelievable, and it still keeps getting worse and worse!
Could someone please say something really offensive so the mods can shut it down?
I nominate this for the "2009 Threads That Really Have Gone Wrong" awards!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

vall
vall

Ok. Here it is. I know I read it somewhere and I found it:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73848
Brundle:

Brundle also thinks Renault has the best driver of the field in Alonso, who the Briton believes has no weaknesses behind the wheel.

"I don't see many weaknesses in Alonso when he is behind the wheel - he has the full deck of cards," he added.

"Right now the 27-year-old is the most complete F1 driver out there in my view. He is in the Michael Schumacher and Alain Prost mould - and they won 11 titles between them."

So, what happen to that and how comes he now thinks it is Button instead :shock:

modbaraban
modbaraban

vall wrote:So, what happen to that and how comes he now thinks it is Button instead :shock:
This is a wild guess, but maybe MB eventually found some weaknesses in FA.

:)

Ciro Pabón

andartop wrote:This thread is absolutely unbelievable, and it still keeps getting worse and worse!
Could someone please say something really offensive so the mods can shut it down?
I nominate this for the "2009 Threads That Really Have Gone Wrong" awards!
It was nominated in page 1 by me, with a thank you note to its starter. I couldn't agree more.

Sigh, six pages on a comment by Brundle. Get a life, people! (is that offensive enough? ;)).
Ciro

West
West

Jenson Button has the most complete car at the moment.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Conceptual
Conceptual

West wrote:Jenson Button has the most complete car at the moment.
You mean even more complete than Rubens' car?

gridwalker
gridwalker

Conceptual wrote:
West wrote:Jenson Button has the most complete car at the moment.
You mean even more complete than Rubens' car?
Well, we saw Rubens smash up his front wing earlier in the season, so it has been complete for more of the time ;)
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Big JS
Big JS

All of this debating and the lengthy posts submitted are well and good. However, surely the fact that the man is leading the drivers world championship by some way speaks for itself!!

Has the F1 championship not usually been a case of a competent (not Martin Brundle) driver in a superior car.

All opinions welcome.....

Big JS
8)

alexbarwell
alexbarwell

Many observers have said what a tidy and smooth driving style Button has, others that he was a nothing when the car was going nowhere, now the same people are saying 'I always belived you could do it', but he rarely stuffed it up in the past (remember Massa as a championship contender started the season by repeatedly parking in the barrieers), now he has a competitive car he has been winning races. By comparison, if some rich idiot buys a ferrari road car does that make him a better driver than michael schumacher in a regular fiat? Saying Button is only winning because of the car is a bit of a crap argument - try each driver in each car and then look at the results, otherwise this is comparing apples and oranges.
I am an engineer, not a conceptualist :)

KiwiF1
KiwiF1

Gosh, button. Where to start.

I dont know actually, button has been simply incredible this season. Its tough to really put a finger on how much of it is the car and how much of it is him.

To be honest i think it is clearly the best car in the field and it really does suit his driving style perfectly...However on the other hand he has had some incredible drives and has not put a foot wrong all season. We really havent seen this level of perfection and consistancy perhaps since schumacher. But then back on the other hand he has had some really poor seasons, being beaten by not particularly highly rated drivers. Last season in fact...

You know, i think this is pretty much the story of jensons career...

Is he a top driver or not? Who actually knows?

mortigitempo
mortigitempo

he has had some really poor seasons, being beaten by not particularly highly rated drivers. Last season in fact...
Button's only been signifcantly outperformed by his team mate twice - 2001 versus Fisichella, and last year against Barichello.

Debut season in 2000 he was behind results-wise against Schumacher, but he gave a good account of himself. In 2002 Trulli often outqualified him, but Button significantly outscored him over the season and often outraced him. At BAR he showed Villeneuve and Sato the way home in each season he raced against them. He outperformed Barichello in 06 and 07.

So as I see it, although he's not always dominated his team mate, he's never been disgraced. 2001 was his worst season, where he was an inexperienced driver in an awful car against Fisichella, who had a much greater reserve of single seat knowledge to draw on to drive around the car's problems.

And last year - the fact that he outperformed Barichello in 06, 07 and this year suggests it was a blip - whether that was due to motivational issues or the car suiting Barichello better is a matter for discussion. In any case, it's no disgrace to be outperformed by Barichello - he was and still is a quick guy.

enkidu
enkidu

mortigitempo wrote:
he has had some really poor seasons, being beaten by not particularly highly rated drivers. Last season in fact...
Button's only been signifcantly outperformed by his team mate twice - 2001 versus Fisichella, and last year against Barichello.

Debut season in 2000 he was behind results-wise against Schumacher, but he gave a good account of himself. In 2002 Trulli often outqualified him, but Button significantly outscored him over the season and often outraced him. At BAR he showed Villeneuve and Sato the way home in each season he raced against them. He outperformed Barichello in 06 and 07.

So as I see it, although he's not always dominated his team mate, he's never been disgraced. 2001 was his worst season, where he was an inexperienced driver in an awful car against Fisichella, who had a much greater reserve of single seat knowledge to draw on to drive around the car's problems.

And last year - the fact that he outperformed Barichello in 06, 07 and this year suggests it was a blip - whether that was due to motivational issues or the car suiting Barichello better is a matter for discussion. In any case, it's no disgrace to be outperformed by Barichello - he was and still is a quick guy.

Here here!

PNSD
PNSD

KiwiF1 wrote:Is he a top driver or not? Who actually knows?
Brawn.