Drivetrain Materials used

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
red300zx99
red300zx99

Drivetrain Materials used

Was wondering if anyone knew what materials are used in the drivetrain of F1 cars? We are in the process of trying a Ti ring and pinion, and would like to hear any worries of duing this, and any other materials that would be good in this application

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well red300....you've posted the same question at one of the other f1 tech leading site.....sincerly I don't know but accept the answer that they gave you.

About titanium the problem is that at high tempretures titanium looses some of its rigity. (if I'm not mistaken)

red300zx99x
red300zx99x

Monstro, please refrain from your comments of accepting the answer another forum gave, as they have yet to give a definative answer, I view what you said as extremly rude. I have the right to post the same question in multiple forums, it broadens the knowledge that I can recieve by questioning a larger audience. But then again sorry for posting this response in public.

From what I can recall titanium embrittlment occurs at a high temperature then a rear end operates at, it may come close at times, but ha that what makes engineering so fun, finding a solution to the problem. Friction has been reduced, greatly, so heat from that has been reduced, but then again rear ends dont usually operate in the titanium embrittlement range. Bleh so yeh back to the original question Ti driveline gears, what would concern you?

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Sorry wasn't my intention to be rude! :oops:

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Humm....now probably you won't believe me and think that I copied the answer from the other forum....but I took a look at the "Formula 1 Technology" book, written by Peter Wright....and he says: "(...)This material is ussually 300M steel." page 81 (transmission chapter)

I'll check the other technical books I have...and will post back if I find something else.

Once again sorry about the previous post I didn't want to be rude! :oops:

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well in another book it says: ""formula 1 gear ratios are made from high alloy, low-carbon steel." ....so my guess would be that the 300M steel has these caracteristics. If anyone finds the 300M steel composition.....just post it!!! :wink:

Reca
Reca

Micky
Micky

From what i know it seems that the transmission is made from a combination of titanium and carbon fibre. You could have a look at Hewland, Xtrac and Gemini, they are some of the suppliers in F!. As far as i know Ferrari are the only team who have them made in-house.

red300zx99x
red300zx99x

It's all good Monstrobolaxa

the loads on the pinionteeth are enormous and the temps will get high enogh to melt the surface when new final drives are boken in.Beause of this you need the best of lubricants there(klingelnberg teeth assumed)to avoid metalcontact.Ti is not suitable,as it will fail due to embrittlement evenif
surface hardness may be achieved by treatment(Keronite) .don´t!!
marcush.