How to cut costs

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Insider
Insider

How to cut costs

How to cut costs

There is one very simple solution for this.

Change nothing, but absolutely nothing, in technical regulations for F1 - leave it as-is.

For 5, 10, 15 years a time.

Simple logic is this - on every set of rules, there is "perfect" car. But after you develop one car for same rules for years, you beging to find that any further progress is possible only at ever-higher expense.

Therefore, having countless millions to spend does not help much. Better buy is to hire faster driver - so cars and teams became less important and drivers more - just what people want to see.

All other ways are doomed to failure - if teams can't spend money on track, they will spend it on dyno and in tunnel. Again, small teams can't compete with big ones.

West
West

A lot of money is spent on testing. A GRIP of money. Without testing, all the simulations and wind tunnel stuff is a bit risky. If you don't test parts, you don't know if they will withstand race stresses, or if the actually contribute something to performance, or if the drivers find any advantages or gains, etc. So, no testing means it's much more difficult to build the perfect car. But, money is saved for other things, like buying another Renault Clio or something.

Money also hires better drivers and better forms of technology. Although the saying "90% driver, 10% car" is a valid maxim, if your car is sh*t, then there is little chance you will win.

So, money = performance in motorsports. But it doesn't necessarily mean entertainment...
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well last night I watched a documentary from 1999 with the Benetton Playlife team....and people were saying it the other way around...it's almost all down to the car "10 driver - 90% car", Fissi pointed it out 2 or 3 times, Wurz and Villapardate (don't know if it's correctly written. ex-Benetton chief mechanic) also pointed it out. Even if it was 10% car and 90% driver....it would mean that Schummy would succeed in a Minardi!

But I do agree that in Schummy's case it's a little more then 10% driver....I'd say 13%!!!!

If you look at it this way: for a driver to finish a race first he has to finish it!!!! (looks stupid but....) Look at Kimi this season....he might want to end the races....the car has the last word! If Kimi after retiring pushed the car untill the end and was classified, I would consider it as a 90% driver - 10% car situation. :lol: :lol:

Irvingthien
Irvingthien

Limited personnel...testing time.....
But that's just the short term solution.Minimising engine power and shorter race weekends might help.

GuestAgain
GuestAgain

I read the following (on Planet I think) which I totally agree with.
It was a letter written by a Lynn Friz (pls excuse the spelling, Lynn, if you are reading this).
When will the organizers realize the best way to control costs is to open the rules up instead of constantly restricting them? The rules should simply specify maximum engine capacity, physical strength/crash protection requirements and maximum dimensions. In the spirit of true “road racing” re-fueling during the race should be banned and the entire race should be run on a single set of tires (unless there is a failure). This would require the drivers to “put in an entire race” instead of just sprinting between pit stops. Under the current rules system there is so little room for variation that millions of euros must be expended just to eke out a miniscule advantage.
The long and distinguished history of the sport is of broad design freedom and vast diversions between designs.
Let’s all remember “lobster claw” Brabhams, 6-wheeled Tyrrells, Sterling Moss competing successfully in a 2 litre car at Monaco against 3 litre competitors. Les’s try to remember when there were three relatively equal aspects to an F1 car: Aerodynamics, engine power and handling qualities, and each car had its own strengths and weaknesses. The sport has been on a steady decline since 1983. The aerodynamics are all just derivatives of John Barnard’s MP4/3 from that year. The ‘80s and ‘90s were simply an exercise in which engine was best.
Now, with the engines all being clones (I still cannot believe they all have to have the same number of cylinders and valves), the only real difference between the cars is small aerodynamic advantages gained at enormous expense. If we’re going to have a low-tech spec series, then why not just buy a fleet of IRL cars?
Let’s get back to innovation and back to the sport’s roots!
A team may spend Millions on technology to get a 0.2 advantage, whereas, another team may find the same 0.2 advantage with some inovative ideas at a fraction of the cost.

An aside but somewhat related:
One of the changes for this year (correct me if I am wrong) was a mandated larger engine cover, to give sponsors more space, or so we understand. The question is why make it compulsory (for lack of a better word). If a team needs a larger engine cover and can figure out how to manage it without any performance penalties good. These are the type of things which stiffle inovation.