The fastest F1 car of all time?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ced ampo
ced ampo

Re: The fastest F1 car of all time?

xpensive, it was on monza at the 2004 seasonn (i think) By the way the f2002 is the fastest based on this article which was based on the pomeroy index system.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F2002

ced ampo
ced ampo

Oh and also to remind you, the f2002 never finished below 2nd place at the hands of herr shumacher

Giblet
Giblet

Speeds are fast, lap times and drivers are quick. A driver can not be fast, and a lap time can not be fast.

The quickest car around a circuit, the f2002 (or whichever car it is), was likely not the fastest F1 car on track in a straight line.

How quickly could Schumi drive his fast car?

How fast was the f2002 in a straight line, because this is the only definition that fast can be, is it not? So the Bonneville Honda experiment is the only answer that fits the subject of the thread.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ringo

Williams FW25, powered by BMW P83 engine
that car was fast in all the senses.

Aside from that didn't Kubica do 352 km/hr at Monza in 07? that's about 218mph, close to what honda did on the salt flats but in an actual race.
For Sure!!

benjabulle
benjabulle

xpensive wrote:369.9 km/h? That was a very specific number benjabulle, please be as specific with place and date?

And 930 hp for the 3.0 liter V10 in 2004? I doubt that very much actually.
just read the books.

megz

363.1 Kph by both Trulli and Schumacher during qualifying at the 2004 Italian Grand Prix.

http://www.formula1.com/results/season/ ... _trap.html

No speed trap data available from Formula1.com for the race.

benjabulle
benjabulle

The one I remembered :
"Formula One's current speed 'record' sits at around 372kph, which McLaren's Juan Pablo Montoya registered in testing at Monza 2005"

bjpower
bjpower

straight line speed is not a fair test. no F1 car is ever configured for pure straight line speed - the Italian GP would prob be the closet thing to that.
if honda holds the record it is only because they bothered to go to a desert an see what happens.
had the other teams done it there is no chance that honda would still hold the record.
to be honest the bmw v12 in williams was know for being the most powerful engine at the time.
the only real factor for a straight line speed test is the engine.
the rest is just lighten the car and reduce drag.
maybe play with the wheel base.

xpensive
xpensive

I'll be darned megz, I stand corrected too, at least to some xtent. :wink:

Anyway, if that Ferrari indeed managed to get 900 Hp (662 kW) to the wheels, 363.1 km/h at 20C, indicates a Cv times Cross-section area of only 1.07.

Not much wing there I guess, 1300 hp would have taken the same car to 410 km/h, while today's 700 had given 335.

kilcoo?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

timbo
timbo

2xpensive - I guess rotating wheel would contribute to the drag with a steeper function than square as top of the wheel faces the air with double speed effectively.

xpensive
xpensive

Correct timbo, but built inside the "Cv" coefficient, why Power = Cv * Area * density *(speed^3)/2, still applies.

Unlike a road-vehicle, due to the open-wheels, Cv of an F1 car could be as high as 1.5 on certain tracks.

Scotracer
Scotracer

xpensive wrote:369.9 km/h? That was a very specific number benjabulle, please be as specific with place and date?

And 930 hp for the 3.0 liter V10 in 2004? I doubt that very much actually.
Those are correct figures. In 2005 the levels actually got higher and the 2005 Suzuka-spec Honda engine was officially stated at 980BHP.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

DaveKillens wrote:The question posted was : fastest F1 car.
As well as setting the world’s first official land speed record for a F1 car, the speed achieved also represented a new mark for the A2-8 class of land speed vehicles, and a new best speed of 355.499kph for the flying kilometre.
I was in error. I did a further check on the official FIA website and the record was set on 20.07.06 by Honda, but the speed was 397.483 kph.
http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.ns ... .01.09.pdf

The original question to this post is "The fastest F1 car of all time?". Not quickest, or braked had the highest cornering G's, or was the most dominant. Just speed.
straight line speed is not a fair test. no F1 car is ever configured for pure straight line speed - the Italian GP would prob be the closet thing to that.
if honda holds the record it is only because they bothered to go to a desert an see what happens.
had the other teams done it there is no chance that honda would still hold the record.
I agree 100% bjpower. But Honda did make the effort and did secure the record for their class. They hold the official sanctioned record, and if another team wishes to beat this record, I am sure they can. But if you don't recognize official records, then what worth are they?
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

xpensive
xpensive

The way I remember it DK, that 397 km/h Honda was not xactly in aerodynamic race-trim, not Monaco-settings anyway?
:lol:

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

xpensive wrote:The way I remember it DK, that 397 km/h Honda was not xactly in aerodynamic race-trim, not Monaco-settings anyway?
:lol:
Definitely

The rear wing was removed and a fin replaced it. Intakes were modified, and a lot of drag inducing appendages were removed. Many other modifications were made. This article does a very good job at describing what Honda did to this car for the record attempt.
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/alla ... -ever.html

BUT... despite all the modifications the car was legal. If Honda had shown up at Monaco with this very car, it would have passed tech inspection. Would have been a dog and totally uncompetitive.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.