The fastest F1 car of all time?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PNSD
PNSD

Re: Which F1 era is the fastest?

powdersnow wrote: Ok a little bit slower but with that "bad" tyres. You say the early 90s tyres are only as half as good as the current ones....
Well as I said, I dont know. But my best guess is that the tyre quality today is better than in the early 90's. The michelin-bridgestone tyre war really boosted performance from 03-04. Alot more money in that period would have been spent that in say 92/93. But I repeat I dont know and I'm just assuming.

Pandamasque

powdersnow wrote:Hello and a happy new year,

what do you believe, were the 92s/93s cars with it's active suspension, anti-lock and traction control systems faster than the current ones ???? I mean especially the FW14B/15C, cause it should be the fastest car of this era.

(Are the current cars are faster than the middle 2000s cars at all ....?)

I mean not the topspeed, but the laptimes and averagespeed of a race or qualification lap.

I could imagine that the 92s/93s cars are faster than the current :-)

Greetings PS
viewtopic.php?p=113960#p113960
This wasn't even the fastest car of that year.

Rob W

PNSD wrote:Well as I said, I dont know. But my best guess is that the tyre quality today is better than in the early 90's.
One of the pre-race interviews two seasons ago had Pat Symonds (I think) talking about tires and traction - and how they could calculate the optimum amount of minute slippage to get the best traction. In it he said (they were still using grooved tires at this stage) the current tires had something like 50% more grip than the slicks of the early 90s. That would give a fair ideas of how much improved the tire technology is.

Now that they're back on slicks it could potentially be even moreso (factoring in they probably hardened the tires up).

Also factor in the far better understanding of suspension geometry and tire shape etc nowdays which probably improves things yet again on some level (speed, wear or warming them up).

Mr Alcatraz

Pandamasque wrote:
powdersnow wrote: viewtopic.php?p=113960#p113960
This wasn't even the fastest car of that year.
Dude!!!!!
It's the F2004 (in 2005 trim)
in a picture I happen to dig!
If the F2004 hadn't so thorougly trashed the field the year before
F1 wouldn't of had to jack the rules so bad in '05
It even changed the point system (for the worse)
Of course it's all an immortal tribute to the F2004, Ferrari, and F1 in general.
Deal with it!
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Pandamasque

Tazio wrote:Deal with it!
Exactly that. I meant that the F2004B or whatever was used in Australia 2005 wasn't that good for the 2005 regs ;) same with F2005.
F2004 proper with low front wing etc. was indeed the fastest, there's no denying it... dude.

Mr Alcatraz

Pandamasque wrote:
Tazio wrote:Deal with it!
Exactly that. I meant that the F2004B or whatever was used in Australia 2005 wasn't that good for the 2005 regs ;) same with F2005.
F2004 proper with low front wing etc. was indeed the fastest, there's no denying it... dude.
Sad but true :(
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

FW17

This is by far the fastest f1 car and with tyres that last the whole race.

FASTEST LAP:
2004 Italian GP Barrichello Ferrari 1:21.046
2005 Italian GP Raikkonen McLaren-Mercedes 1:21.504

2004 Japanese GP Barrichello Ferrari 1:32.730
2005 Japanese GP Raikkonen McLaren-Mercedes 1:31.540

Richard
Richard

err.... nice pics of cars but this thread is about the fastest era as opposed to the other thread about the fatest car?

As ESP pointed out, the definition of the fastest "era" would surely refer to a time when all the cars were fastest, not an individual car?

Although my honest opinion is that this thread should be merged with the fastest car thread.... viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6977&start=75

Richard
Richard

WilliamsF1 wrote: This is by far the fastest f1 car and with tyres that last the whole race.

FASTEST LAP:

Fastest by far? How come your times show it to be half a second slower than Ferarri in Italy? #-o

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

richard_leeds wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote: This is by far the fastest f1 car and with tyres that last the whole race.

FASTEST LAP:

Fastest by far? How come your times show it to be half a second slower than Ferarri in Italy? #-o

His point was that was done on a durable race distance set of tyres rather than a 3 stop set...

A good point and well made I think.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Richard
Richard

CMSMJ1 wrote: His point was that was done on a durable race distance set of tyres rather than a 3 stop set...

A good point and well made I think.
Yes it is a good point, but not explained until your post. Thanks ;) .

segedunum
segedunum

WilliamsF1 wrote:Image

Ahhhh, the McLaren where Tombazis started in 2004, bolted one of his front-ends on to Newey's car and it rocketed off into the distance. At Barcelona Raikkonen made his first pit stop, came out and was still in the lead.

A point well made about this car is that it did what it was doing on one set of tyres through the whole race. I can remember Pat Symonds visibly confused about this car and trying to work out why it was at least eight tenths of a second per lap faster.

segedunum
segedunum

richard_leeds wrote:Yes it is a good point, but not explained until your post. Thanks ;) .
Quote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:This is by far the fastest f1 car and with tyres that last the whole race.

exepm

Re: The fastest F1 car of all time?

We should be talking about Antonio Pizzonia:

With Williams FW26
powered with BMW P84 3.0L V10
at GP Monza 2004
speed: 369,9 km/h

Fastest car of all time is simple to understand that is the fastest again others on race, if not the question should be "The top speed recorded for a F1"

dren

segedunum wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:Image

Ahhhh, the McLaren where Tombazis started in 2004, bolted one of his front-ends on to Newey's car and it rocketed off into the distance. At Barcelona Raikkonen made his first pit stop, came out and was still in the lead.

A point well made about this car is that it did what it was doing on one set of tyres through the whole race. I can remember Pat Symonds visibly confused about this car and trying to work out why it was at least eight tenths of a second per lap faster.
Was that the J-damper's first year?
Honda!