Rory Byrne vs Adrian Newey

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
West
West

People tend to forget Newey also designed the Williams cars in the 90's.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

got the point?Neway is genius,surely one of the best f1 car designers ever.
But he is only another guy at the wall,and he is another technical director,letting a group of talented engineers build a car that just does not deliver..nough said.
Byrne is in the correct position for his ability and delivers,as every one does at Ferrari in recent years....
so Byrne vs Neway....they are both counting to the topten ever

dumrick
dumrick

GuestAgain wrote:Dumrick wrote:
Silly question. We all know that HE DIDN'T. A huge team did. He just happens to be the technical director...
There is speculation/rumour - call it what you will, that he didnt. That in fact after the 18, he was against pushing forward with the 19 but was over-ruled. Whatever the case, it is still speculation.
So here's another silly question for you. Speculation or not, tech director or not and huge team or not, do you for know for a fact that HE DIDNT?
I will rephrase what I've tried to say: of course Newey didn't DESIGN the MP4-18/19, as Byrne didn't design the Ferraris. The F1 have hundreds of engineers designing most of them just a tiny part of the whole car.

What I meant was that, not minding who ACTUALLY designed the car, or even who the main responsable for the production of final drawings was (it should have been Mike Coughlan as chief-designer) Newey is the main technical executive, and therefore, the ultimate responsable for the technical definition of the product.

This reminds me of a detail: we aren't even comparing similar things: Newey should be compared to Ross Brawn (technical directors) or Byrne with Mike Coughlan (chief-designers). We are trying to compare persons whose scope of responsability is quite different.

GuestAgain
GuestAgain

I will rephrase what I've tried to say: of course Newey didn't DESIGN the MP4-18/19, as Byrne didn't design the Ferraris. The F1 have hundreds of engineers designing most of them just a tiny part of the whole car.

I agree with you.
What I was trying to say was that Newey/Byrne may well have designed their respective car from start to finish (highly unlikely as you pointed out above). However who here can say categorically that they did or did not, or what, if any, their respective inputs were?
This reminds me of a detail: we aren't even comparing similar things: Newey should be compared to Ross Brawn (technical directors) or Byrne with Mike Coughlan (chief-designers). We are trying to compare persons whose scope of responsability is quite different.
Agree absolutely.