Ferrari chimneys!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
walter
walter

Ferrari chimneys!

http://www.f1racing.net/en/photolarge.p ... ID=94-1104

It appears that Ferrari has adopted their own interpretation of the Sidepod chimneys which are not very large but are different from everyone else's due to their extreme angle pointing outwards to the sides. Perhaps this is to exect the hot air over the rear wheels rather than over the sidepods and the rear wing, where it may cause a disturbance in the airflow.
The last Photo shows us how the engine exhaust chimneys are modified. The exhaust pipes themselves occupy more of the opening of these chimneys, thus restricting the evacuation of the engine-bay heat which they used to do as well. perhaps the extra hot air was decreasing the performance of the rear wing, thus decreasing downforce, a vital concern for all teams this season.
Perhaps this is a good time to ask my question that I have pondered upon since 1999... I know that Mclaren was still using exhaust pipes exiting out of the diffuser back then, then they adopted the ferrari's approach and then dumped it for their MP4-18 prototype. Do the exhaust gasses reduce or improve the preformance of the rear wing or was the decision to eject it into the difuser was meant only to improve the velocity of the airflow in the difuser?

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

I'd have to agree with you conserning the aero efects of the hot air exiting the chimneys.

About the exhaust gases....Ferrari in 1998 when they adopted the "over-side-pod" exhaust pipes did it in order to get better use of the difuser! The thing with exhaust gases is that the quantity of gases coming from the exhaust varies with RPM, so when going through a flat out corner when shifting from one gear to the next the amout of gases and the pressure in the difuser varies....making the rear of the car slightly unstable. The "over-side-pod" arrangment has the advantage of reducing the weight (due to smaller exhaust pipes) but the turbulent air flow that comes from them disturbes slightly the overall performance of the rear wing, if you look at the Ferrari pic they tried to push them as close to the centre as possible, so that since the centre of the wing is where the wing has more turbulence due to the airbox, the exhaust gases won't influence too much the already turbulente center of the wing.

(about the side pod it's my point of view if anyone disagrees just post back)

Now one thing that I just remembered....theoretically shouldn't the exhaust gases be blowed under the wing? The idea would be that the hot exhaust gases are less dense then the air over the wing, due to this the hot air would have a lower pressure and the cooler air would have a higher pressure, so this would create some more downforce! (probably this was one of the ideas of creating these exhaust pipes....but I never really paid attention to the explanations....but since I'm not sure....correct me if I'm wrong :wink: )

West
West

Maybe the smaller exhaust chimney does decrease any negative effect they used to have over the rear wings. Probably due to the fact that more air is introduced towards the bottom of the rear wing, w/ a bigger exhaust chimney.

I think the 1999 diffuser question was that exhausts were put in the diffuser to improve its effect. The gases would accelerate the airflow at the diffuser, theoretically generating more downforce. It was just that this idea made the car too sensitive to throttle input; i.e. if the throttle was let go, like in a corner, there would be no gases accelerating the air in the diffuser and a huge drop in downforce would suffice. I think contemporary exhaust systems create a low pressure area behind the car and hence the drive the diffuser in that sense, but not as sensitively as if the exhaust blew right into the diffuser. The rear wing also drives the diffuser as well.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

-shr3d-
-shr3d-

hey all, yeah i had noticed the big change to the ferrari chimneys as well and i need to go back and check but i think renault are following suit...... dont think theirs used to be that wide.....
is it worth moving this to the tech forum to see if anyone there has more info....