Engine crashed!!

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
wowf1
wowf1

I would guess that different drivers form their own 'throttle curve' during acceleration out of a corner. One driver might slap the throttle on and let the traction control do all of the ignition-retardation/other tasks. This, over time could lead to stress. However, if the driver gradually applies the throttle as a more relaxed curve, then perhaps he does the work of the traction control in a less taxing manner? just a thought?

rob

Reca
Reca

Regarding different engine mapping, would two drivers of the same team use different maps?
And you seem to make a point that it's the settings that can lead to overworked engines. So that means how a driver actually uses the pedal on race day isn't that consequential?
Probably it’s a bit of everything. The same driver uses a few different maps during the race, playing with the buttons on the keyb... steering wheel modifying them depending by the conditions. The same is true for TC, differential setting etc.
Then you have the rpm thing, according to Marmorini usually teams do evaluate the possibility to use increased rpm for a certain time (or for a certain number of laps), if a driver exceed in using it or if there was a miscalculation in evaluating that period then the reliability could suffer.
At the end obviously also the way the race develops is important. If you built a gap then you can cruise preserving the car, but I don’t know if you can consider a driver at fault if he has to fight for position for the whole race
Another thing, your paraphrase of it's not the driver's job to respect the car, but the team's job to provide a working car.. is that from JPM or the BMW man?
BMW man, although I have the suspect that JPM would agree...

Wowf1 :
I remember DC or someone else said something like that so you’re quite on the mark, I think we could also include that in the case of a driver using a more “gentle” TC setting.

Stas
Stas

F-1 uses hydralic lifters on their cars. So when one of the lifter brakrs. the fluid reaches cilinder and boils making a white smoke.(inm ost of the times)

Reca wrote:
he said that JPM used also a more aggressive setting but he also specified that it’s not the driver job to respect the car, it’s the team that has to work to allow him to drive as he wants without reliability issues.
Oh dear...i know this is one for the general board but i'll post it anyway.Someone should tell Monty that in todays current F1 climate this attitude is not going to win you world titles.Any chance of some ketchup and a couple of eggs to go with that chip on your shoulder?

Reca
Reca

Stas wrote: F-1 uses hydralic lifters on their cars. So when one of the lifter brakrs. the fluid reaches cilinder and boils making a white smoke.(inm ost of the times)
What is an hydraulic lifter ?
If you are referring to hydraulic valve actuation then no they don’t use it.
If you mean something else, please explain it.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well I suspect he is talking about the valve actuation...in a portuguese forum I've also found people talking about hydraulic actuation! So there seem to be some mixed up minds around here....