Singapore GP 2009 - Marina Bay

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Re: Singapore GP - 2009

ds.raikkonen wrote:
kilcoo316 wrote:Why would it be?

Ground temperatures are all about radiation, not conduction from the air.
The sun's rays fall almost over head at Singapore during day time, the track will soak up much of the heat during day and will be hot enough by the time the GP starts, so dont worry about the track temperature.

http://www.myweather2.com/Motor-Racing/ ... spx?sday=1
After a couple of minutes searching I stand by my statement earlier.

In 2008, Bridgestone predicted track temps of 27 degC.

http://www.f1singapore.com/news/F1_2008 ... view.shtml

Is that hot enough for Brawn? I very much doubt it.

To compare, in yesterdays qual, the track temperature was at 40 degC

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_ ... t_id=38964

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Circuit Length: 5.067 Kilometers
Race Distance: 308.950 Kilometers
Race Distance: 61 Laps
Tyres Compounds: Super Soft/Soft

jon-mullen

zgred wrote:And I wonder if BMW show something. Mario was promising good result, whole new package of upgrades. So I am wondering , is it like with all BMW promises? Sticking to the plan when there is opportunity and failing to be creative while thing are not as expected? It is final opening to not lose even more for BMW.
The BMW's been pretty much awful in high DF configurations (qualifying 17th and 18th in Monaco). I think these past two GPs were their best shot at impressing anyone. I hope you're right and they've got some upgrades because it's just sort of sad to watch.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

zgred

Re: Singapore GP 2009

They are talking about it for some time:
formula1.com wrote: Mario Theissen, BMW Motorsport director:
“It was a hard race which had a dramatic end because of Lewis Hamilton’s crash. After having bad luck in qualifying, Nick achieved the best possible race result when he managed to climb from 15th on the grid to seventh. In the beginning Robert was even two places ahead of Nick, but then damaged his front wing and was called in for a stop by the race director. Shortly after that he had to retire due to an oil leak in the gearbox. For us the engine situation for the rest of the season is difficult. However we are looking forward to the next race in Singapore before which we will have a huge development programme.”

Ray

Super racing wrote:
ds.raikkonen wrote:
kilcoo316 wrote:I doubt it will be about the Brawns as the track temperature should not be that high.

I would look towards McLaren.
Singapore will be hot enough for the BGP001 to get enough out of its tyres. Look towards Mclaren for what? Another crash in the barriers and throw away the team's hard work throughout the weekend? :lol:
You mean like how Kimi did at Singapore last year? or Monaco 08? Or at Spa 08? Or maybe Austrailia '09? They all push hard, especially the best ones like Hamilton & Kimi, thats part of why they are the best, they keep it on the edge and push to the limit, and they all make mistakes.
Monaco and Spa 08 were under changing conditions and thereby irrelevant.

ringo

Looks like a pretty gruelling track, wonder if grosjean will do flavio a lap 14 "favour" this time around. wink wink :wink:
Not so suspicious when you got Kers to spin the rear wheels. :lol:
For Sure!!

Terrible3
Terrible3

kilcoo316 wrote: I would look towards McLaren.
I think Mclaren and the prancing horse have the upper hand... but I may be wrong...

ringo

Red cows and Mclaren for my money, they were the best in Monaco should do well here too.
For Sure!!

mstar
mstar

looks like a bit of a KERS track to me? is the back straight all flat including the raffles boulvard?

PNSD
PNSD

Theres many acceleration and braking points here and quite a few corners. The 6.67 seconds would soon go, and I dont think will be as much as an advantage here.

Brazil is where it should really count!

Engine power is abit lower due to the higher alt, and that hill is pretty steep.

Scotracer
Scotracer

PNSD wrote:Theres many acceleration and braking points here and quite a few corners. The 6.67 seconds would soon go, and I dont think will be as much as an advantage here.

Engine power is abit lower due to the higher alt, and that hill is pretty steep.
I think it'll be one of the biggest KERS tracks of the year. Either coming out of Juncao or the Senna 'S' will be the best place to use it.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

timbo
timbo

Scotracer wrote:
PNSD wrote:Theres many acceleration and braking points here and quite a few corners. The 6.67 seconds would soon go, and I dont think will be as much as an advantage here.

I think it'll be one of the biggest KERS tracks of the year. Either coming out of Juncao or the Senna 'S' will be the best place to use it.
Agreed. Another factor to benefit KERS cars is that lap time is smallest of all current circuits, so 6.66 KERS time would be a bigger fraction of that))

axle
axle

kilcoo316 wrote:In 2008, Bridgestone predicted track temps of 27 degC.
http://www.f1singapore.com/news/F1_2008 ... view.shtml
Is that hot enough for Brawn? I very much doubt it.
To compare, in yesterdays qual, the track temperature was at 40 degC
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_ ... t_id=38964
Brawn claim they no longer have the heating issue, and infact in Monza they were over heating them at one point.

Brawn should in theory be in the points in all the final races. Same can't be said of RedBull.

I think the top 3 cars will be Brawn, McLaren, Williams.
- Axle

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

I think that Singapore is a track that requires good natural downforce, and good traction. Each element is with each of the best cars of 2009, the Brawn and the Red Bull. The RB5 will have a downforce advantage so can brake later, but the BGP001 has the traction advantage out of many of the 23 corners here.

KERS, i can see 2 or 3 places for it, out of turn 5, out of turn 13 and out of turn 21, other than that, i really cant see a good place for it, other than charging the batterys.

Im gonna say that a posible shock could be on the cards, as i recon that Toyota and Williams will go well here, as long as Glock and Rosberg get a good start from high on the grid, their consistancy could be key to their race plan. BMW Sauber also dark horses.

But overall advantage to Brawn, Red Bull and McLaren.

Miguel
Miguel

My Singapore predictions are:
  • Hamilton for the win
  • One safety car deployed, probably due to a crash in Turn 17
  • All Red Bull cars will suffer.
  • Alonso and Rosberg will flirt with the podium... but won't get it.
I have no predictions for Ferrari, since my crystal ball can't see Rosso Corsa. I disagree with ESPImperium regarding Toyota. I think they will be slow, as they were at Monaco and at Valencia.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr