Singapore GP 2009 - Marina Bay

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Moanlower

Re: Singapore GP 2009

ds.raikkonen wrote:I wonder if they have improved the track surface this year. There were some horrible bumps at crucial braking zones, remember the horrible lock up of Rosberg while passing a Renault?Talk about flat spotting your fronts in a gruelling race like this one, totally undesirable.
They did resurface the bumpy track. I wonder what Renault's strategy will be ..
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

jon-mullen

n smikle wrote:23 turns... (lots a braking)

and the average G-force is very low...

A track for KERS and high mechanical grip.

hence, godly braking technique will be the key to winning.
It's a shame Massa won't be racing it, it's his kind of track.
ds.raikkonen wrote:I wonder if they have improved the track surface this year. There were some horrible bumps at crucial braking zones, remember the horrible lock up of Rosberg while passing a Renault?Talk about flat spotting your fronts in a gruelling race like this one, totally undesirable.
Does resurfacing really even help that? There's a corner by my old house where the road falls away and is right by the freeway so there's a lot of truck traffic. They resurface it every July and then a day later everyone hits the brakes there and it looks like a wave when they're done.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

Giblet
Giblet

Remember that resurfacing is not a skim of new asphalt over the old. They strip, grade, and repave.

If they are incapable of actually fix it, Singapore has no hope as a country in the future.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ISLAMATRON

Giblet wrote:Remember that resurfacing is not a skim of new asphalt over the old. They strip, grade, and repave.

If they are incapable of actually fix it, Singapore has no hope as a country in the future.
If that is the measure of a country than America is surely doomed, because they redo the intersection close to my house every year and it still floods after every rain.

PlatinumZealot

Looks like they need to put a concrete under layer to keep it flat if that is the case.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Giblet
Giblet

ISLAMATRON wrote:
Giblet wrote:Remember that resurfacing is not a skim of new asphalt over the old. They strip, grade, and repave.

If that is the measure of a country than America is surely doomed, because they redo the intersection close to my house every year and it still floods after every rain.
Was driving through Minnesota and was a helper in the 'tar and chip' process.

Thank bajeezus I live in Canada. It's hard to find 'fault with our asphalt'.

Random note.... what is tarmac? Is tarmac just asphalt until a plane lands on it?
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ds.raikkonen

Giblet wrote:Thank bajeezus I live in Canada. It's hard to find 'fault with our asphalt'.
Except the Gilles Villeneuve circuit, the track was nearly ripped off last year by the Grand Prix weekend at the hairpin.
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

freedom_honda

I actually quite like the bumps in Singapore GP as a spectator. Absolutely loved the sparks flying out of the cars.

ds.raikkonen

freedom_honda wrote:I actually quite like the bumps in Singapore GP as a spectator. Absolutely loved the sparks flying out of the cars.
It might be visually appealing to watch all those flying sparks, but it can ruin races as well,not to mention, hinder overtaking also. So, in my opinion, bumps on a Formula 1 track totally suck.
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

jon-mullen

Let's go to the BMW track analysis (before MrE takes it down):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UYIhB9F ... L&index=10[/youtube]
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

ds.raikkonen wrote:So, in my opinion, bumps on a Formula 1 track totally suck.
Bumps anywhere really suck actually. They kill high speed confidence and unbalance the car.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

PlatinumZealot

Fast reaction time
High confidence
good memory (of where the bumps are)
Goldy Brake control
Good damping of the car

Are some of the requirements to overcome the bumps then.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Scotracer
Scotracer

mx_tifosi wrote:
ds.raikkonen wrote:So, in my opinion, bumps on a Formula 1 track totally suck.
Bumps anywhere really suck actually. They kill high speed confidence and unbalance the car.
All part of the challenge - for both the engineers and the drivers.
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

ds.raikkonen

n smikle wrote:Fast reaction time
High confidence
good memory (of where the bumps are)
Goldy Brake control
Good damping of the car

Are some of the requirements to overcome the bumps then.
And, I believe that Mr.Hamilton & co. have them in abundance then? :lol:
After all, he s the BOSS!What say?

sunny1304
sunny1304

guys i have a question....

is suzuka treated as a high downforce or medium downforce circuit ??

sorry for off topic question.