Why do not F1 pilots do some kind of a show?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
pompelmo
pompelmo

Why do not F1 pilots do some kind of a show?

Ok, I wondering why do not the drivers (MS) show their happiness of victory when they win the GP???
So, When I watch other Formula, cart,.. series when someone wins
they burn tires, spin they cars,... the F1 driver just goes slowly
arround the last lap with his hand up. And that's abut it!! :shock:
WHY? Is it forbiden or what?? :?: :?: :?:

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Hummm....well....the thing is that in F. Cart/IRL the ovals are quite wide and there is an inner sholder that isn't very banked. In F1's case the car has to be in one piece for final scrutineering!And if the car ends up in the gravel trap there is a high posibility that it won't get back to the pits with everything on it (in case of a track invasion)!!! :lol: :lol:

There is no logical explanaition! It would be hard to do a lot of donuts because of TC.

rudo7
rudo7

I thought TC activates over 100 kph (??? mph ???) :roll: so it shouldn't be a problem to do a burnout or something like that. Because as previously mentioned, it's really boring just to do 1 slow lap waving at people...
...and I think there is plenty of space available to do it.... they don't need a runway, thou!?!? :D

pompelmo
pompelmo

I think they have a lot of space to do this stuff (Indianapolis, malaysia, bahrain,..) :lol: Or they can burn tires in a straight line :?:
But I was taqlking to one Ferrari engeneir at Imola and he told me that
on a steering wheel there is a button called "TC" that you can
turn off TC!Therefore LC is forbiden!

with a donut u lose a bit of the read tyre. cause it wears alot. I think they are afraid that the car will be too light b/c of the lost rubber

bernard
bernard

or could it be that that is just stupid, and something that belongs to a lower series like f3000 or whatever? The driver can party later, he doesn't have to go spinning round the track like a moron. :D I just can't see that fitting into the sleek world of F1.

bernard
bernard

and you also have to bear in mind that some people are still driving the race, and wouldn't that be an embarassing end to a weekend, fighting for poitns till the very end, and then getting smashed out of the race on the last lap by some idiot that's spinning wildly out of control on the track? :lol:

Irvingthien
Irvingthien

Didn't Kimi burned his tyres in a show in Stuttgart in front of the public???well...it isn't for a win.But with F1 racing today so intense that F1 drivers are so tired after racing I don't think they can do that.

You can override the TC to light the rears you know

Finn75
Finn75

Reason is height and weight. Car must be at correct height at after race check. Actually drivers try to get pieces of rubber stick to their wheels at final slow lap to gain weight and trying to eliminate car beeing underweighted... Silly and stupid but rules are the reason..

j4kwan
j4kwan

Yeppers...I believe its actually in the rule books that deem it illegal to pull any doughnuts or burn rubber after a victory...

...for safety reasons well...you got an onslaught of cars coming your way...

...I believe its also illegal to slow down to even pick up your national flag...

...tires do get checked for groove depths, and min size after each race...not like when they use to have slicks...pulling doughneys doesn't help in that respect

...teams like to evaluate tire performances after a good race stint and burning rubber ain't going to help with accuracy

bernard
bernard

I remember a few years back, i think it was Jean Alesi, who finished fifth or sixth, and he was happier than the winner of the race. Anyway, he made a few quite nice rubbercircles on the track, and nobody punished him or anything. Most people just laughed at him, including the commenator. He did make himself look quite like the idiot, celebrating a sixth position like that... tells a little about his talents. :wink:

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Here is a partial answer:
F1 Sporting Regulations

172) After receiving the end-of-race signal all cars must proceed on the circuit directly to the post
race parc fermé without stopping, without receiving any object whatsoever and without any
assistance (except that of the marshals if necessary).
Any classified car which cannot reach the post race parc fermé under its own power will be
placed under the exclusive control of the marshals who will take the car to the parc fermé.

Well during a donut you are technically stoped because you are circuling around in the same place....the distance to the Parc Fermé stays literally the same for the period of time you are donuting! :lol:

West
West

bernard wrote:I remember a few years back, i think it was Jean Alesi, who finished fifth or sixth, and he was happier than the winner of the race. Anyway, he made a few quite nice rubbercircles on the track, and nobody punished him or anything. Most people just laughed at him, including the commenator. He did make himself look quite like the idiot, celebrating a sixth position like that... tells a little about his talents. :wink:
Well, I think it was a Prost Grand Prix car, so any points finish is a victory in itself
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

wowf1
wowf1

Also, may I say that F1 drivers may have slightly more class than IRL drivers....
F1 is regarded as a performance team sport, IRL, Nascar and CART are all marketed as shows. Americans like the show (the majority anyway) so drivers give them the show. F1 fans in Europe/Asia like racing, sport and technology, so F1 is geared towards giving fans those things.

ergo no silly tyre munching :)