Williams and Toyota Disqualified

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Williams and Toyota Disqualified

The BMW WilliamsF1 and Toyota teams were disqualified from Sunday's Canadian Grand Prix after technical checks on their cars' brake ducts revealed irregularities.

advertisement

The FIA confirmed that both Toyotas and both Williams cars have been excluded from the official result. Ralf Schumacher finished second and Montoya fifth for Williams while Cristiano da Matta finished eighth and Olivier Panis tenth for Toyota.

Below is the revised result following Williams and Toyota's exclusion:

1 M. Schumacher Ferrari 10 points
2 R. Barrichello Ferrari 8 points
3 J. Button BAR 6 points
4 G. Fisichella Sauber 5 points
5 K. Räikkönen McLaren 4 points
6 D. Coulthard McLaren 3 points
7 O. Panis Toyota 2 points
8 T. Glock Jordan 1 point

in F1racing.net

Don't you think it's strange both of them to have beem disqualified for the exact same thing?

keyser
keyser

It must be some modification at the edge of the rules- very much of them can be interpreted in two or more ways :)
The teams are always copying each other so it is not so surprising that their brakes were alike.
Does anybody know what exactly the problem was?

West
West

Panis and Montoya don't get any points either, moving Jordan up several spots.

A very disappointing race would be an understatement. I'm just glad for Jordan, however.

The only good thing that happened this weekend was Q2 and Sato spinning everywhere he goes.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

i think this is bull --- i don't understand why they have so many god damn regulations on everything i understand some things but something like this is kind of pointless i would like to know more of what they were disqualified for

NDR008
NDR008

Well, i cannot say i am disappointed that Toyota lost their point. Hmmm..... well, if they did get of the tolerance level, then i guess this was fair, i cannot tell, obviously it is impossible that toyota would admit it if they did. Anyway, I am only dieing for the german GP to arrive to see what the TF104B can do. ;)

Irvingthien
Irvingthien

It is rather strange seeing both R.Schumacher and Panis disqualified because of the same reason,but full credit to Timo Glock,madee his race debut and scored in an uncompetetive car,even though R.Schumacher and Panis' disqualification benefited Glock,but I think he deserves it.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Irvingthien you forgot Montoya....and Da Matta

j4kwan
j4kwan

What?!?!

What was actually illegal on their brake ducts? Size? Shape?!?

Montoya's reaction to the disqualification pretty much shows he could care less about Williams as his year is pretty much over and he's heading to McLaren...

Spencifer_Murphy

Well there is a regulation saying that the ducts cannot protude beyond the wheel so that they can be seen from side on (This was because they can be used as aerodynamic devices). But neither the Williams or Toyota's seemed to have brakeducts that large. Also on a report I read on http://www.itv-f1.com/[url] they said t ... specific.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well rewatching the race...it seems to me that the toyota ducts were a little too long...