Red Bull RB6

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Red Bull RB6

raymondu999 wrote:Prototype outboard mirror for the bulls. It looks just iike the "normal" McLaren one with a straight mounting, not the "elbowed" mounting we see on the Renault/Mercedes

http://scarbsf1.files.wordpress.com/201 ... n982-3.jpg
Made using stereolithography... RedBull and Renault master this technology good enough to produce rigid and heatproof aero and cooling resin parts.

marcush.
marcush.

abusing rp prototyping technologies...it seems nobody remembers how to do things quickly.. :mrgreen:
that part looks so simple...but as you have the tools you use them...and forget about the easy way... :wtf:

noname
noname

segedunum wrote:I can't see there being any space for ducting in any of Newey's cars.
the same was said about double decker and RB5 ;)

Tim.Wright

marcush. wrote:abusing rp prototyping technologies...it seems nobody remembers how to do things quickly.. :mrgreen:
that part looks so simple...but as you have the tools you use them...and forget about the easy way... :wtf:
What could be easier and quicker than making an RP part??

Yes the part is simple, but if it was to be a composite part (like usual) then you would need a pattern, mould, autoclave and time to trim. I doubt even machining it from solid (whatever, eg plastic)would be quicker. So Im very interested to hear you you would do it.

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Agree with Tim on this... total cycle time for the part has got to be pretty quick. Also not labor intensive, frees your composites guys to be doing more involved work.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Giblet
Giblet

Looks like WindformLX.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

marcush.
marcush.

this does not look like an actual part ..it is more a model to verify if the position of the mirror will be suitable for the drivers...
you could of course produce actual parts from windform xt ....and then i´d say the approach is not that bad considering it could be made quite light(hollow) and you don´t need any molds.Windform XT is almost comparable to PA6.6GF30 in mechanical properties so ok that would convince me as not the worst of ideas.alas with the huge SLS machinery they supposedly have they could do this in paralell to other RP parts at the same time ....ok maybe I was too much old school with my comment...and thought of it as a perfect opportunity for the apprentice to show his worth..

and I was under the impression this was not a definitive part....but a mockup...

raymondu999

Kind of disappointed, really. I expected some Newey magic in some revolutionary mirror mounting :?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

raymondu999 wrote:Hey all. We know quite well that the RB6 seems to be very hard on its tyres. Is this something that can actually be addressed in the car's upgrades, or does it need a complete rework of the existing car philosophy?
anyone? :?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

marcush.
marcush.

actually the part looks like it is to be mounted in a recess in the tub..does this mean they get a waver for modifying the tub??
I would put a hole in there for the F-duct ,thats for sure..and looking at the big baseplate of the mirror ...i almost believe Neweys boys had the same idea... :mrgreen:

marcush.
marcush.

raymondu999 wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Hey all. We know quite well that the RB6 seems to be very hard on its tyres. Is this something that can actually be addressed in the car's upgrades, or does it need a complete rework of the existing car philosophy?

why does a car eat its tyres?

last year we were told good downforce is the ways to keep tyre temps in check ... #-o
tyre life is usually shorter when temps are higher and you are sliding more than necessary

a car eating its tyres no matter what you do could have a bit of excess compliance in it ...such as having rubber instead of spherical joints....please forgive me Mr.Newey ...I would not dare to say Redbull suspension is mushy.. :mrgreen:

raymondu999

funny though. I remember a Newey McLaren (the year escapes me) that was excessively easy on its tyres and hence just couldn't get the temps up :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

timbo
timbo

What makes you think RedBull is hard on tyres? Haven't noticed any problems.

segedunum
segedunum

raymondu999 wrote:funny though. I remember a Newey McLaren (the year escapes me) that was excessively easy on its tyres and hence just couldn't get the temps up :P
The 2005 McLaren probably. That car puzzled me as it was spectacularly fast and at places like Monaco was incredibly easy on its tyres, which it had to make last for an entire race.

Interestingly, Nicholas Tombazis was at McLaren during that time and he went on to have a hand in designing cars for Ferrari that were extremely easy on their tyres, notably 2007, 2008 and it looks like he's produced a car with similar characteristics this year.

segedunum
segedunum

raymondu999 wrote:
It's a very difficult question to answer. There didn't appear to be any problems in previous races to China, but then, I think Red Bull were being ultra cautious.

In China they alarmingly wore their intermediates out within a few laps and at a far greater rate than everyone else, even though they were initially very fast, but they also had problems under safety car periods getting heat and pressure into the tyres paradoxically. Quite why is a mystery. It could be the track, the conditions or the set up they had for the car. We'll see from Barcelona whether it is a fundamental problem with the car. If it is then it's really game on because if there's one track where the Red Bull will be strong, if it really is, it is Barcelona.