Ralfs accident

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
-shr3d-
-shr3d-

that is a great idea.. should do that at more tracks. i get spoilt in that respect cause i can drive round bout 90% of Albert Park anytime but it is always nice when they are starting to set up for the race...

unless he did have debris embedded in the tyre already and the extra forces on crossing the kerbs was enough to make it let go...

jugrock
jugrock

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:I didnt realise that Indy used the SAFER barrier system. Or is it only in certain parts on therace track?
I believe IMS was the first track to install the SAFER barrier. It is in all four corners of the oval.

Something else to keep in mind: the spot where Ralf hit the wall was probably the one spot farthest away from the safety vehicle positions. Because of the F1 pit wall being extended into the center of the south short chute, it prevented vehicles from coming across the track from the garage area. And the safety car and medical car were at the far opposite end of the pits.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

The thing with oval tracks is that if they had tire barriers the car on impacted would be twisted....more or less like Olivier Panis in 1997. The monocoque would be twisted and snap.

The idea with a wall barrier is that it is positioned about 14º (or 17º not sure...i read it in 1997...so the number isn't fresh in my mind) with the "normal" impact trajectory....

About Ralfs crash....last night when I went to bed I started thinking about Mclaren11 post...but according to his post it would all be fine....but in that case wouldn't it have been the right rear tire to puncture? the rumble strip is on the right....and the left tire was the one that had the puncture. I don't think Ralf put the whole car on the rumble strip!

-shr3d-
-shr3d-

elementary my dear monstro.... that is why you are a talent and im just a member.... :) that right cause michelin said ralf had a rear left puncture and fernando and rear right......

with regards to the positioning of the medical cars, that is why i suggested in the earlier reply that maybe they need to look at the track layout and their positioning as that is maybe the biggest impact that a driver can have on this track....

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

He might also miss the Great Britain, German, Hungarian and Belgian Grands Prix and not be fit until the September 12 Italian GP at Monza.

Doctors at the Bad Nauheim clinic where he was being treated said he had two fractured vertebrae and needed between eight and 12 weeks' rest.
in F1racing.net

oneBMW
oneBMW

Poor taste indeed.

Questioning Ralf's capability in the car by making a poor comment about where his brain should be? I am new to this forum and am a BMW fan, I also happen to wonder what is up with Ralf, but I think if Frank could find someone better, he would, and this may come to pass. But your comment begs me to wonder, could you do better? And with fractured vertebrae, I think we can go a bit easy on the criticism of the kind of season Ralf is having.

-shr3d-
-shr3d-

welcome to the forum one, yeah was a bad post to start on, Monstro did apologise for his lack of tact there.... but the fractured vert only happened during the crash at Indy so it has not being a factor in ralfs dismal showing so far this season. and i think Williams are just about done with it.... unfortunately he seems to be about the level of DC, an excellent driver on his day but not consistent enough to push for the title.
Bring on Mark Webber to Williams I say.... :)

oneBMW
oneBMW

Thank you for the welcome shr3d, I appreciate it. Yes Mark Webber would be a fine driver to bring in to Williams. I loathe Mr. Montoya and am very happy to see him gone to Mclaren, maybe in another post sometime we could discuss the pro's and con's of a Ralf & Mark, or Possibly DC & Mark partnership at Williams? My loathing could of course become a post too!

-shr3d-
-shr3d-

no prob man. i got a lot of time for jpm as an out and out racer, but as a package that is required to win the championship, he is a long way short of schu... maybe ron dennis can change that....
i dont think there is any chance of DC returning to Williams as Patrick Head described him the other day as similar to Ralf in his mindset, sometimes exceptional and sometimes below par and never really knowing why.......
more chance of JV returning there than DC methinks...

oneBMW
oneBMW

Yeah Shr3d, just read about JV possibly going to Williams. That wouldn't be too bad either. He may just be hungry again, but who knows. I always felt DC would come around and prove he was still hungry, then Mclaren go and mess everything up with their cheesy car. They say they won't be getting everything worked out in the New Mclaren until 2006. I think JPM screwed the pooch a bit signing so early. He may very well be struggling even more next year.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

I just saw today a picture in a Autosport Magazine....taken instantes before Ralf spun into the wall.....he was in his normal trajectory and you could see that the left rear tire was deflated.....

-shr3d-
-shr3d-

sweet as monstro, i will check it out......
no offence to Gene, but lets hope we see JV slip into the car for a few races this year..... hopefully by Belgium