Stefan GP

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Fil

Re: Stefan GP

mx_tifosi wrote:Buy a team that pulled out last minute and use their already designed/built race cars?
Mercedes did it with BrawnGP, Campos bought from Dallara, Sauber has done it with BMW..

so yeah, along with a technical partnership with Toyota, solid financial backing and an aggressive mindset, StefanGP's route surely is the best way for a new team.

I don't understand why Campos bought their design from Dallara instead of from Toyota. A manufacturer-funded design from Toyota, developed over 2 seasons with actual race data, surely will be more competitive than a Dallara developed since mid-2009 with no track data/experience.

Only Campos got one thing right that StefanGP didn't.. they won the FIA F1 grid slot.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Fil wrote:I don't understand why Campos bought their design from Dallara instead of from Toyota. A manufacturer-funded design from Toyota, developed over 2 seasons with actual race data, surely will be more competitive than a Dallara developed since mid-2009 with no track data/experience.

Only Campos got one thing right that StefanGP didn't.. they won the FIA F1 grid slot.
Not enough capital to buy an expensive and fully operating race team? Toyoda probably wasn't selling the team for cheap.

And for this subject technically it was Brawn buying Honda, not Mercedes buying BrawnGP. Since Honda were the ones who pulled out and Brawn took advantage of the fully designed and built cars. Just saying... :)
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

WhiteBlue

Fil wrote:I don't understand why Campos bought their design from Dallara instead of from Toyota.
Very simple. They got their grid slot in July and did their business plan in May. They ordered their engine in June probably and the Dallara order cannot have been far behind. Toyota only decided to fold the team in November. By the time Toyota went down they had practically spent all their money. No way to switch the plan.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Fil

WhiteBlue wrote:Very simple. They got their grid slot in July and did their business plan in May. They ordered their engine in June probably and the Dallara order cannot have been far behind. Toyota only decided to fold the team in November. By the time Toyota went down they had practically spent all their money. No way to switch the plan.
Oops, i sort of forgot about their timeline, thanks for that!
Still, only recently Dallara claimed no payments received from Campos.. so possibly the team could still have jumped ships. That goes into details we don't have tho.
mx_tifosi wrote: And for this subject technically it was Brawn buying Honda, not Mercedes buying BrawnGP. Since Honda were the ones who pulled out and Brawn took advantage of the fully designed and built cars. Just saying... :)
Yeah for the BGP001 specifically you're right, tho we could go further beyond Honda doing the same too.

But the theory is the same, as shown by Renault, Honda, Brawn, BMW, Mercedes, the smart way is to buy a race team with development through genuine experience. StefanGP is onto a good thing.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

roost89
roost89

Is there anything stopping Stefan GP from testing? Presumably they'd test the car before racing it, assuming they get on the grid, of course.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

marcush.
marcush.

no tyre contract ,no tyres...
they could use GP2 tyres ,but what can be learned from that in terms of performance
and setup? You could argue that at least you learn about car and driver sensivity ,general things and can practise working on a f1 car in reality to prepare for next year.
to me StefanGp would be the ideal candidate for tyre development for the new for 2011 tyre supplier ,yet to be announced...Kumho? Hankook? ....I guess someone in there has approached the other party or possible party already ...

Pandamasque

Stefan GP’s original application to join the 2010 F1 world championship was turned down – their initial reaction to this was to start a lawsuit, before dropping the case, going ahead and assembling an F1 car anyway. Their new car, based on the cancelled 2010 Toyota project, has been shoved into a container and shipped over to Bahrain for the opening race of the new season, despite the fact that the team has failed to secure an entry into the world championship.
“Simple letters of rejection and repeated insistences that we do not belong in Formula One are not enough to deter us!” team principal Zoran Stefanovic claimed in a badly-worded press statement today. “We have commenced operationings to transport car to Bahrain, where we will race, pending agreement of Formula One Management and the FIA, of course.”
“This is clearly a world record,” a Guinness World Records spokesman stated earlier. “For nearly seven months Stefan GP have been unable to accept the fact that their application to enter F1 in 2010 has been rejected. Nobody else has ever managed such a feat without becoming demoralised, giving up and racing in the Serbian National Tin Bath-Rolling Championships or wherever it was that they came from.”
In keeping with the team’s ethos of steely determination against all observable reality, Takuma Sato and Christian Klien are expected to be named as the team’s race drivers if they are, by some miracle, actually allowed anywhere near the Bahrain paddock later in the month.

http://runoffarea.co.uk/2010/02/stefan-gp-make-history/

astracrazy
astracrazy

I think there is more to this story than we know. Perhaps they have been given the nod that if a new team cant make it your there then your in. And werent we promised 26 cars? And bernie isn't confident that all the new teams will make it. So perhaps he has advised them this would be a good idea?

Just an idea though....

With no tyre contract could they not just buy a set of Bridgestone? Or maybe they are going to test the 2011 tyres?

Pandamasque

I personally agree that there's more to it. Exactly 1 grey-haired gnome more.

astracrazy
astracrazy

its alot of money shipping and testing for what we are lead to believe as a lost cause

i don't buy it

aren't they plannin on testing at the track in portugal? why there if they have no chance, why not test it at a duff track which would be a hell of a lot cheaper?

Pandamasque

copied from the Campos(rather poor)Situation thread (mods.. you guys can thank me later :lol: )
Fil wrote:copied from the USF1 thread (mods.. you guys can thank me later :lol: )
Pandamasque wrote:So dispite having the TF110 Stefan would buy the Dallara project so that anyone else (like USF1) wouldn't be able to get it? Why not just buy the entry then?
Because Campos probably isn't willing to sell it at the moment & its their entry to sell.

If the Dallara contract is forfeited, it is Dallara's to sell.. SGP buys it, ridding the market of any available design.
This would leave Campos with nothing but a 2010 F1 Licence.. they'd be forced to sell at this stage, most probably at an undervalued figure.. cheap entry for StefanGP!
Does that mean that several F1T members are about to get rich? :) The forum is full of F1 car designs that had just about as much tunnel time as the VR-01!

tarzoon

Pandamasque wrote: Does that mean that several F1T members are about to get rich? :) The forum is full of F1 car designs that had just about as much tunnel time as the VR-01!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mr Alcatraz

Bernie Touts Ralf for Stefan

http://www.fijilive.com/sports/news/201 ... 5.Fijilive

Ralf, 34, retired from Formula One in 2007 after 10 years on the circuit to race in Germany's DTM touring car competition, but Ecclestone says he has recommended the younger Schumacher brother to the new Stefan GP team who have taken over from Toyota.

Serbian businessman Zoran Stefanovic has taken over the team's finances and Ralf - winner of six Grand Prix' from 180 starts and whose best finish in the overall standings was fourth twice - has been recommended to drive for the new outfit :lol:
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

donskar
donskar

Re: Bernie Touts Ralf for Stefan

From the source tazio links to:
Ecclestone says he does not expect Formula One teams USF1 and Campos to race this season and says Schumacher should race for Stefan having driven for them under the Toyota banner in 2007.

"I do not believe in the participation of USF1 and Campos," Ecclestone told German magazine Sport Bild.

"Instead, I have good contacts to Stefan GP and would like to give this team a good starting point.
Is this for real? Are the rumors true? Is Bernie still Evil Incarnate?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

donskar
donskar

From another thread:
Ecclestone says he does not expect Formula One teams USF1 and Campos to race this season and says [Ralf] Schumacher should race for Stefan having driven for them under the Toyota banner in 2007.

"I do not believe in the participation of USF1 and Campos," Ecclestone told German magazine Sport Bild.

"Instead, I have good contacts to Stefan GP and would like to give this team a good starting point.
Just when it seemed the machinations were dying down and we might have a season of racing instead of politicking and backroom deals . . .
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill