Wesley123's F1 Model

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Wesley123's F1 Model

Singapore update.

a different rear wing, different floor and different front wing.

The cascade of the front wing has changed. It now turns outwards sooner, this gives less interference with the second plane of the wing, increasing downforce. There is also a slot in the cascade end plate to bleed air to the outside of the cascade, increasing efficiency.
The end plate of the first cascade element also is slightly longer, creating more efficient flow under the wing.

On the rear of the cascade the wing element(or slotted gurney tab) is modified and bent in different ways, creating stronger outward flow.

There is a new wing for use in the streets of singapore, this wing was built on the Hungary wing although with different wing profiles and end plate change.
The flap bends slightly upwards, this reduces AoA and reduces drag, quite useful on the long straights. The main plane also is bent, on its outer tips the nose up angle is completely gone.

The beam wing is once again split up in multiple sections. The center section has much higher AoA, this boosts downforce in this area, as well as the two pillars is replaced with one central pillar, which increases downforce.

The floor is changed a lot, most noticable in the rear of the floor. The diffuser got more kick at the start, giving bigger pressure difference thus downforce at the leading edge. The gurney increased in size as well as the gurney around the edge has changed, being a slotted gurney at the top as well as the sidewall.

The hole in the diffuser was made smaller, now there is a sidewall again to increase EBD strength a bit further down of the diffuser. The footplate also was majorly revised, now having more area giving the EBD bigger effect. The diffuser itself got an top surface extension, boosting downforce in the region as well as splitting up top flow and EBD flow

In front of the rear wheel there also is an Nose up wing profile, this reduces tire interfeirence, increasing floor efficiency.

The flip up around the barge board area was made smaller too and the splitter edges were made longer, reducing drag in this area.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

wesley123
wesley123

Japan update here. Reaching the end of development, almost done everything that is possible so will befocussing on next years car. Although that there are a few small tweaks and an updated front wing

The rear wing is the same as ran before in belgium, although with the updated end plate shape from last race.

The podvane got a new addition to the profile, towards it's lower end it is extended, creates effectively 2 flows, one through the front and one through the back of the podvane, this in turn seals the floor a bit better.

The front wing is pretty new and therefore got more updates left. on the outer edge the main plate got an small hole in it's edge, reducing sensitivity in that area. As well as that area is split up, copying Williams a bit, this also reduces pitch sensitivity as well as a vortex is created in that area.

Also there is a new small flap, guiding more air around the front wheel. This is aditioned by an gurney tab on its edge, this is to prevent airflow mixing from under the footplate with air over the footplate as well as air going in front of the cascade with airflow going in front of the winglet.

On the inside edge the second plane is split up, this is to reduce drag in the area as well as to create a smaller vortex. This overall creates a birt less downforce, but increases efficiency

The inner cascade also got an small gurney tab, to let the bigger cascade work a little bit better.

The floor is changed a bit in the details, the exhaust shape is changed a little bit, as well as there being a slotted gurney on the edge of the diffuser footplate, it is an update of what Mercedes GP did before as well as what I did before, in place of butting a large gurney there i place a gurney flap there to reduce drag

wesley123
wesley123

Korea update here, no big updates, only small tweaks.

The rear wing got an new slot gap spacer, this helps a little bit under yaw as well as an spacer being mandatory

The flip on the front of the floor was changed, being connected to the podvane it now got a slit, creating an better seal with the airflow mixing differently.
The gurney on the footplate was made bigger too, to increase downforce in this area.

The front wing has changed much more comared to the rest. There is an full length extension, this focusses on getting cleaner air further downwards the car. The end plate was changed too, on the back it is split up, the vane on the trailing edge was cut short, with a horizontal plane separating it. The lower part got a gurney tab, this gets more air around the front wheel for a little bit more drag. the front of the cascade end plate was changed too, with the connection to the cascade being different, the upper part now connects later to the cascade itself, this allows for better yaw performance.

wesley123
wesley123

Indian update, changed the floor and front wing.

The front wing has changed. The small lip on the inside of the wing was enlarged, guiding more air around. The gurney tab here was removed too and replaced with a gurney tab on the wing itself, generating more downforce.

The leading edge was changed too, having an higher footplate reducing pitch sensitivity.

The cascade was reverted back to an old specification, with the inner part being completely gone as well as the cascade end plate having an more regular shape.

The wings end plate was changed to in the trailing edge, having the gurney tab removed and having a bigger sweep, getting more air around the tire.

The floor lip was changed once again, this creates a better seal compared to the old one, as well as it being much longer in shape, having more effect

The footplate has a new gurney, this one isnt slotted and forces more air through the gurney flap slot, increasing downforce.

The gurneyflap is new, now being slotted all around, where it previously wasnt in the bend, the flap is a bit larger too, creating larger low pressure

The strakes have changed, now having an extra one as well as mimicking the LMP strakes having a triangular cutout on the top of the strake, increasing efficiency.

The gurneyflap here has changed mostly the same as in previous configuration, although being slightly larger as wll as having a gurney tab on itself, increasing efficiency

The hole in front of the diffuser was extended, now grabbing the air more sooner, in turn creating better airflow into the diffuser

wesley123
wesley123

Update for Abu Dabhi is here;

The front wing has changed in he details.
The cascade has more area , the sweep outside was made smaller. This gives the end plate more area to work on and lets the wing work better.

The split end plate on the 3 plane was again changed, now sporting a new wing element there, this guides air around the tire as well as it having a gurney tab, enhancing low pressure behind the flap as well as making it legal.

The small flap on the footplate was changed too, now having a bit more frontal area this guides more air around the tire.

The rear wing is new too, having a new main plane profile which possts downforce as well as reduces drag. The downspeed on the outside edges allows for a larger end plate slt there reducing vortices.

The DRS system is changed too, now finally mimicking the systems used by the other teams, which has less interference with flow over the wing.

wesley123
wesley123

Okay, after a few months of silence, here it is;

My new car for 2012; the KM12

It is a completely new car, much more radical compared to previous years car.

What I wanted for this car was to maximise flow over the floor as well as through the coke bottle making the beamwing too as reachable as possible. I saw this as the best way to go with the EBD ban.

To make this possible I decided to go for a much longer car compared to previous years car. With this, I made a car that is possible slightly longer than the Red Bull and the McLaren.

The nose is new too, to conform the regulations. With the idea to maximise flow to the diffuser and beam wing I wanted to split airflow going over the nose to the sides, allowing air to go over the lowered sidepod in that area.

Another thing, also seen on JordanGP's car was the lowered airbox, It is much further back and much lower than regular or the split airbox done by Force India and Lotus last year. This allows unobsturcted flow to the rear wing, with the rear wing being fully visible in front view. A possible downside to this might be engine starvation, with the airbox lying fully behind the drivers head.

The car itself currently is in quite a basic form, with under nose barge boards coming, new panels and a new floor to better match the Raised sidepods.

With the build of this car I had a few idea's, my first one was to lower the sidepod all the way down to the bottom, much like Sauber does now, To allow the exhaust to blow the starter hole. I decided to cancel this due to the exhaust losing too uch energy in my eyes as well as ruining the whole coke bottle shape.

After that I wanted to go to the U sidepods, but due to the exhaust regulations as well as nose regulations this was far from optimal. So then I decided to go for the raised sidepods, to maximise floor airflow. A Red Bull style sidepod like last years car was also an idea I had, but with the exhaust placement and what I wished to do, this wasnt an option for me.

The car will feature a lot of new parts over the season, just like last years car.

MIKEY_!

Nice car as always mate. Are you sure that the roll structure is high enough? I haven't drawn up a diagram of these to see for myself but here are the rules.

FIA Technical Regulation
15.2.4 - The principal roll structure must have a minimum enclosed structural cross section of 10000mm², in vertical projection, across a horizontal plane 50mm below its highest point. The area thus established must not exceed 200mm in length or width and may not be less than 10000mm2 below this point.

jordangp

MIKEY_! wrote:Nice car as always mate. Are you sure that the roll structure is high enough? I haven't drawn up a diagram of these to see for myself but here are the rules.

FIA Technical Regulation
15.2.4 - The principal roll structure must have a minimum enclosed structural cross section of 10000mm², in vertical projection, across a horizontal plane 50mm below its highest point. The area thus established must not exceed 200mm in length or width and may not be less than 10000mm2 below this point.
It certainly seems it, that blade shape is the minimum dimension. My design is almost identical, so I can vouch that it's legal.

MIKEY_!

Interesting that the Force India and Lotus would have roll structures roughly twice that height.

wesley123
wesley123

No these are not roll structures. Roll structure is about the same size as the Lotus of last year. What you probably mean is the airbox intake, which on the Lotus and Force India was indeed twice as high, however the airbox isn't part of the roll hoop in this solution, we only have this 'blade' style roll hoop. Therefore it is legal.

Note that measurements can be off, but I doubt it is that much off, used both the F1 2010 McLAren as well as the FormulaRaceRoom to compare my own scaling to, So I am quite sure measurements are quite correct. I had to do this as ZModeler doesnt use any system of measuring apart from a grid

jordangp

MIKEY_! wrote:Interesting that the Force India and Lotus would have roll structures roughly twice that height.
Article 15.2.4 refers to the dimensions which fits the blade structure shown. What youe are refering to is the airbox. Because this blade structure is present, it doesn't really matter where the airbox goes, as long as it conforms to bodywork regulations, which is why this solution is legal.

MIKEY_!

I thought the point of these regs was to stop the structure digging in if a roll-over occurs. They haven't done much for that. Oh well, I now have another modification to make to my model, thanks.

wesley123
wesley123

That is true what you say Mikey, however the rules after that required a fatter as well as shorter, they never outlawed the blade design.

jordangp

It's wide enough so that it wouldn't dig in, unlike the original Mercedes blade. Besides the camera would be the first hit.

MIKEY_!

Point taken, I misread the regs. But... jordangp the cameras won't make any difference in a crash and the blade is still way too thin IMO, especially if the car rolls in a gravel trap.
wesley123 wrote:they never outlawed the blade design
I know. It would be impossible for me not to know.