Virgin Racing VR-01 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sambo

Re: Virgin Racing VR-01 Cosworth

thestig84 wrote:Think we established it wasnt a single mount however it is not ridiculous Tyrell did it in 96 I think...not too successful mind you
what are the downsides by having a single mount?? will it give problems in feeding the diffusor?

Giblet
Giblet

Watch this video, and imagine the cars bouncing over the curbs with a single mount.

Super Slow Motion F1
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Sambo

Giblet wrote:Watch this video, and imagine the cars bouncing over the curbs with a single mount.

Super Slow Motion F1
Ah I see....I get you're point, So for stability more than anything else..

Great video BTW, it's amazing to see the wings flex under such loads =D> :o

Giblet
Giblet

The Toyota one looks like it was made by filling a mold with rubber.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Sambo

Giblet wrote:The Toyota one looks like it was made by filling a mold with rubber.

Yeh for sure, part of the end plate pretty much makes contact with the outer-edge of the wing......I think Toyota seems to be taking the cut backs to the extreme :lol:

Pedro
Pedro

Virgin VR-01 compared to other 2010 cars:

Virgin and Williams one flipped horizontally, didn't have much time to photoshop sponsor labels.
8)

Other pics and specs:
http://f1news.cz/technika/33995-novy-mo ... mace-foto/
Last edited by Pedro on 04 Feb 2010, 15:02, edited 2 times in total.
Source: F1news.cz
http://www.f1news.cz

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

thestig84 wrote:Think we established it wasnt a single mount however it is not ridiculous Tyrell did it in 96 I think...not too successful mind you
It's spelt TYRRELL!!!!

Spencifer_Murphy

I've got to admit, I'm fairly impressed with the look of the VR-01; sure it's a completly inexact science trying to measure how a car will perform by looking at it, but my initial impressions are:

1. Very clean line
2. Tightly tapered sidepods
3. Expect the front wing (and other appendages) to change in the coming weeks before the first race :wink:
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

Roland Ehnström

It looks a tad on the simple side to me, a bit boxy. Probably a good idea for a start, but I don't expect it to be very fast.

raymondu999

One thing just continues to bother me. Why is it that the V-nose is VERY widely adopted, but not universally adopted? :shock: Surely the V-nose must be quite good, as everybody so far (excluding only the Macca and the Sauber, I think) have got it on. The fin has also been something that is widely used, albeit in differing forms, but not universally adopted. Same goes for "spoons" I believe they're called? The 2nd deck of elements in a wing... Not many teams have those, but quite a few do... :wtf:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Sambo

raymondu999 wrote:One thing just continues to bother me. Why is it that the V-nose is VERY widely adopted, but not universally adopted? :shock: Surely the V-nose must be quite good, as everybody so far (excluding only the Macca and the Sauber, I think) have got it on. The fin has also been something that is widely used, albeit in differing forms, but not universally adopted. Same goes for "spoons" I believe they're called? The 2nd deck of elements in a wing... Not many teams have those, but quite a few do... :wtf:
You have to remember that all these aero updates and tweaks work together on the car, so a certain update might work for one team but the same part might not work for another

Spencifer_Murphy

Oh I doubt it'll be very fast...but I do think it'll look "solid" lol. Not spellbindingly fast, but also I doubt it'll be a disaster for them.

The only concern I have is the whole 100% designed on computer using CFD idea. I hope it works out well for them. That being said using scale models in a windtunnel is only an approximation (ask Mclaren about last year's car LOL!) and using CFD is also an approximation. So the margin of error could (theoretically) be the same as windtunnel testing. If it works it could signal a change in tide in the way F1 cars are designed, especially in this ever more money-concious world we live in. (And if more budget capping / cost cutting plans are implemented in F1, cutting out all that expensive windtunnel testing could have major finincial benefits for the teams).

As for the V-Nose concept, I guess it's all about how it works in conjuction with the rest of the aerodynamic concept of the car. Remember, how the flow is effected by the front of the car effects how it will interect with the rear of the car. For example, the idea of the V-Nose allows for a curved underside to the nose, I imagine this would not be benificial when used in conjuction with the under-nose splitter of the Mclaren (and this could be why Williams have dropped the splitter idea at the same time as adopting the V-Nose concept.)
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

Pandamasque

Any pics from today's shakedown at Silverstone?

raymondu999

Ah ok then. I didn't know that you have to change the underside to do the nose bulges... lol. In that case that makes sense. So it's the underside and not the upper nose that they're concerned about? (mostly?) thanks for the clarifications, btw
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pandamasque