New Indycar for 2012

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
dp35
dp35

Re: New Indycar for 2012

How is this considered an "open wheel" car?

Of course huge aero improvements can be achieved when the front track is chopped in half & wheels are covered, how stupid do they think we are?

Why bother with a fuel flow regulator, when the same could be achieved by limiting the amount of fuel used?

My 1st thought was "no way this will turn". But this virtual demonstation removes any doubt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rah0RSIEVC8

hpras
hpras

Here is the new helmet they will be required to wear.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Giblet wrote:Why not just make a 3 wheeler to save on tires?
From what I hear, that was honestly their initial plan.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Giblet
Giblet

The wheels are not completely covered, and open on top. Why, I have no idea. Completely closed is one thing, it makes sense for safety reasons, but why leave the tops open? Just to screw with aero or make sure rooster tails go up in the rain? To trick us into thinking they are still open wheel? A fairing is not fender, and this car has fairings. All semantics I guess, but bleh.

Racing in a corner, to me, is leaning on that outside tire. Feeling that grip, not pointing an arrow through a corner. Racing is also using all the track to get around, and sometimes going over curbs. If you go over a curb with your front wheels, you'll drop a wheel, and spin.

I understand your points, but I just don't dig it. It reminds me of Sidecar racing for some reason.

Maybe it would have better appeal if there was some dude hanging off the back.

That virtual demonstration removes no doubt for me. Any grip levels they want can be programmed to sell the design. They can fudge the weight balance, even add phantom downforce to the front.

I am sure there is no reason a completely ridiculous looking car can work, but why.

I really shouldn't look at this thread anymore it's making me feel ill.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Haha. I hadn't seen that "simulation." Looks like it was done in rFactor. What a joke.

The only thing that removes any doubt of.. is that these guys are a bunch of clowns.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

dp35
dp35

dp35 wrote:My 1st thought was "no way this will turn". But this virtual demonstation removes any doubt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rah0RSIEVC8
Just in case anyone needs clarification, this statement was meant to be sarcastic.

countersteer
countersteer

You know, I can't disagree with any of the comments made here. None of them. But did Ben Bowlby forget everything he ever knew? Did Chip Ganassi (and other team owners) lose their minds too?

No, I don't get it. But the names dropped above make me take another look. (Of course, I'm still holding out hope that US F1 will be at Bahrain... sigh... long winter.)

bill shoe
bill shoe

countersteer,

Good reality check. Can I give a better answer than my earlier snip?

I think the Delta Thing is the latest in a long line of attempted Indycar solutions that focus on means and not ends. The car has a list of specs, several pictures, and descriptions of how the specs will acheive such and such track performance. These things are potential ways of acheiving a big picture goal but no overall goal is given.

I think current Indycar racing has two fundamental problems, somewhat related.

1. Most Indycars are driven by ride-buyers instead of the best available drivers.

2. There is no variety or change in the cars.

Therefore I don't care about the specs or styling as long as they achieve the following goals:

1. The cost of buying and running the car should be at a level that results in all or almost all of the 33 starting spots at Indy being filled with the best available drivers.

2. There should be change and variety in the cars.

If these 2 things are achieved then Indycar will be successful as sport and entertainment. If they aren't achieved then Indycar will go out of business.

Delta Thing fails on both counts--

1. It is claimed to cost $600,000. There's no chance the starting grid at Indy will be filled with the best available drivers if the car costs $600,000.

2. A general desire is expressed for competition among cars as opposed to a spec series but there is no proposed rules/formula for this or any consideration for how to achieve this without blowing up costs.

The styling doesn't matter. The Delta Thing proposal fails because it's a means that does not achieve the necessary ends.

countersteer
countersteer

@ Bill Shoe... don't disagree with anything you're saying. I was specifically referring to the technical aspects of the car. Everybody, including me, is looking at it with a huge amount of pessimism. (won't turn, etc. etc.) My point is that, unless Bill Bowby was lobotomized early last year, he knows something we don't.

I pine for the good ole days, pre-split when we had 3 or more engine manufacturers with multiple chassis manufacturers battling it out with 900 horsepower... Wow...

Roger the knife

Looking at this, I think it is just too far from convention. I don't see the appeal in watching something like this race, and for the US racing scene, I think it would be game, set, match, NASCAR

countersteer
countersteer

Here in the states, most people don't even know that they're still racing at Indy, other than the Brickyard 400. Further, they can flip through the channels and don't know the difference between Indy, Toyota Atlantic, Star Mazda, Formula 1, GP2, etc. etc.

The announcement of a "new" car for Indy would get little notice beyond the Speed Channel.

I realize that the Delta Wing design deeply offends many of us. That being said, remember Smokey's pod car, the Granatelli turbine, etc. etc. Heck, I think AJ Foyt is still offended by the rear engine car knocking off his beloved roadster!!!

But, if this thing were announced as the "new" Indycar, I guarantee you the mindless major networks would pick up the story and the league would get more free publicity (and interest) since Danica came on board (and won).

More eyeballs, more sponsors, more money... more chassis builders, more engine builders.

This may be the last hope whether we like it or not.

autogyro
autogyro

Yankee racing will only ever return when they kick the oil companies and last century technology and start using up to date alternate energy applications.

Rev Limiter
Rev Limiter

The IRL board should try and locate the ex-CART Swifts and Lolas, perhaps contact Carl Haas and get the equipment and the 2.65L t engines back on the grid. :roll:

Enough with talk of drafting SOMETHING NEW!

Hey, that :evil: ALREADY exists :twisted: , and can easily adapt itself to Road, Street, small ovals and Super Speedways. Remember the wing and suspension packages of the champcar?

Why reinvent the Champcar wheel?

Admit to the failure :^o in what was flawed "vision" and get on with real racing =D> .

segedunum
segedunum

countersteer wrote:Image

The website http://deltawingracing.com/
That's the daftest pile of shite I've ever seen. Way to go to make US open wheeled racing even more of a joke than it already is.

Pandamasque

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rah0RSIEVC8[/youtube]

Delta... planes er drive around Mid-Ohio in rFactor simulation.