F1 Technician Hand Tools

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
strad

Re: Technician Hand Tools

n smikle wrote:Guys, all brand tools are pretty much the same, the only differences lie in the moving stuff like the ratchet for the sockets and other intricate stuff. I have gotten away with a cheap 20 dollar chinese tool kit for years, Performs just like my other name brand tools. I just bought a name brand ratchet handle, name brand torque wrench to go along with the Chinese stuff (those chinese ratchets WILL fail over time). You really can't tell the difference in performance.
You're soooo wrong...the fineness of the teeth,,and what they're made of is a big deal in ratchets..how far you have to turn the ratchet to get a click...means a ton sometimes...how heavy,,lay on your back working overhead and you'll think more about weight...use it a lot and you'll learn to appreciate the differences in handles and how they feel and fit your hand...oh man there is soooooo much difference. You ain't doin no real wrenchin. :roll:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

PlatinumZealot

Hellooo, strad! that is what I said in the post. :roll:

The chinese ractchets are not good but the rest of the pieces like sockets and extensions, swivels etc are definitely up to the task.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

β˜„οΈ Myth of the five suns. β˜„οΈ

β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ
LxVxFxHxN

strad

The chinese ractchets are not good but the rest of the pieces like sockets and extensions, swivels etc are definitely up to the task.
No they are not!...The walls of the sockets crack under hard use,,,often Chinese sockets are not exactly the right size the wrenches slip and round off bolt heads. the extensions? I have had them twist and even break and the little ball stick so the socket will just fall off.
The poorly designed handles can hurt your hand.
Cheap tools are just that cheap, and a waste of time and can even get you hurt.
Never skimp on any tools any more than you have to. Ask anyone here that actually uses their tools.
And quite frankly...quit buying ANYTHING more than you have to from the Chinese
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

PlatinumZealot

Your final sentence, you sure you want to generalise all thing Chinese products like that?

I use my tools ALOT. For example, my crappy 24 piece kit... I think costs around 20 bucks. And guess what? I removed many a transmission with them, changed many a flywheel, unbolt controls arms.. talking many furlong pounds of torque here..not any delicate stuff, and none of them have cracked or slipped. In fact, they are more likely to shear a stud off than slip.

My "good" tools are "KD" brand. and yes they are better quality, but for simple automotive stuff, you really can't tell a difference in performance! I mean the chinese ratchet gave up the ghost eons ago but the sockets are still fine after many years.

Maybe you were just unlucky buying the wrong Chinese brand! :lol:

LxVxFxHxN

Rozza
Rozza

Saw this video a while ago, stahlwille are german and top quality tools

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99jr1s0gMoE

strad

Your final sentence, you sure you want to generalise all thing Chinese products like that?
YES!!!!
I'm sure they must make something of quality or that you can trust...but in an ocean of crap,,,yeah I'll generalize..
Thanks...I'll spare my knuckles and stay with quality.
Sir Stirling Moss

Caito
Caito

Well.. in that video where you see Button and Hamilton assembling a car they don't use much more than a small cricket.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

marcush.
marcush.

may I remind you of some little detail with sockets and extensions:
Facom or Snap on not only have 6 and 12 point sockets long medium and the usual short stuff in 1/4 ,3/8 and 1/2 inch drive these are much more slim on outside diameter than cheapies from the diy warehouse..something not to be underestimated when working on a racecar...not even talking about the chafing and marring of poltheads wich is totally unacceptable working on other peoples property ....
So if you are ok with ripped knuckles and swearing when working on your own car thatΒ΄s
ok but I certainly would not tolerate someone working with crap tools on my possesion I have and will spend a lot of money on ...So I certainly expect the professionalism to be reflected by the tools the guys use to earn their money.

Caito
Caito

I guess we all agree that if you are working on a 100K racing car, you won't be using crappy tools.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

marcush.
marcush.

the claim was made there is a negligeable difference in Quality between Something like Facom and nameless Chinese diY stuff ...the claim was the cheap stuff is just as good -apartfrom the ratchets ....and sorry my personal experience is exactly the opposite.
I have to add that names alone donΒ΄t cut the mustard as well...most pliers from Snapon
are useless junk in my view so really you have to go out and look for the best tools possibly asking some collegues about their experience with certain tools to get the full story.
So not always the most expensive tools will be the best.

strad

Next he'll tell us.."oil is oil"
Sir Stirling Moss

PlatinumZealot

Ok, so give some examples then guys.. I gave you mine...

Broken sockets? twisted extensions? stuck pins?

For me, if the metallurgy is good enough, and the tolerance is good enough, the Chinese tools are a viable option. I really can't see what else matters when it comes to HAND tools.

You guys make it sound like laser levellers, straing guages and Coriolis mass flow meters here. :roll:

LxVxFxHxN

strad

And you my friend sound like you've never made your living using hand tools.
A quality tool is a whole universe better than cheap Chinese tools, ask anybody that really uses their tools.
I don't think there has been one person in this thread that agrees with you.
The last thing I want is to be in the middle of important work and have a tool break. I don't want a ratchet with a crappy handle with flash and poor ergonomics to hurt my hand...I don't want a mis-sized socket to slip and hurt my hand or round a bolt..You stay with your crap tools..I'll use quality thank you very much.
Sir Stirling Moss

flynfrog

I agree with strad here. The cheap stuff results in rounded bolts stripped screws and bloody knuckles. I have a friend that buys all of his tools from Harbor Freight I always bring my own when we work on his car. Keeps my frustration level lower.

marcush.
marcush.

n smikle wrote:Ok, so give some examples then guys.. I gave you mine...

Broken sockets? twisted extensions? stuck pins?

For me, if the metallurgy is good enough, and the tolerance is good enough, the Chinese tools are a viable option. I really can't see what else matters when it comes to HAND tools.

You guys make it sound like laser levellers, straing guages and Coriolis mass flow meters here. :roll:
tbh ...just measure up the outside diameter of chinese DIY warehouse sockets and compare with Facomor Smap on..
Measure the torque loss with top notch tools and compare this with the cheap stuff.
I actually worked both ways.In my own company with only Facom -Snapon and similar high Quality tools and as an employee with the cabinets filled up with cheap chinese(or from wherever it came) junk ...I really hate to remind myself about the frustartions of rounded off inside hex screws and marred customer cars hardware ,apperently welded up screw connections that could be cracked open with the correct tool...

I have to empahsize I Β΄m not a believer in big names ,so please leave me alone with Snap on pliers or screwdrivers or their brake pipe flaring tools which are just useless crap..
ItΒ΄s really a mater of work experience with the tools to really have a good understanding what you need and what is useless.

So maybe itΒ΄s not the worst idea NOT to spend a fortune on a completely equipped Snap on cabinet spending 10K€ .But a single spanner in the needed size will not
really kill you and you will inevitably feel the difference..Buy the stuff as you need it no sets !
I used to equip my cabinets work related and tried to avoid carrying anything in
excess ..as you will have to carry those toolboxes as well...not funny.