Malaysian GP 2010 - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Re: Malaysian GP 2010 - Sepang

F10 on Sunday, so I'm guessing the black stuff is engine oil from Alonso's car (?).

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Raftaar
Raftaar

Hello there WhiteBlue! How are you doing!
I was on the forum yesterday, but had to leave early. But, this morning I see, the forum is still just where it was yesterday. People, it seems, just can't seem to look ahead of the Hamilton incident!! This is just hopeless, absolutely a waste :x !!
I just hope we have had the end of it [-o< !!

I mean, after such an interesting and eventful race, we still manage to pick up the only "sticky point" in the whole weekend, and just can't seem to get off it!!!

A healthy discussion is fine, but this constant squabling!!!

Annoying !! Suits only village folk!

djos

Raftaar wrote: A healthy discussion is fine, but this constant squabling!!!

Annoying !! Suits only village folk!
The Hamo fan boi's simply cant accept that their golden boy did something he shouldn't have! #-o
"In downforce we trust"

vall
vall

ringo wrote: Leading driver acting on his own and not to the reactions of the follower.
look how harmless and sedate this is. I don't get the outrage. 3 moves, not 4 not 5, and all very slow and predictable.

And to be fair to ISLAM, ray you were the first one to bring up race out pf nowhere. No one mentioned it before you posted. It's a fact Hamilton is polarizing for many reasons. Maybe many envy his skill, popularity, ability to brush off problems that come his way etc.

What you said about braking, clearly 34s into the video (please take time to check it), Lewis assumed a normal line, and was in fact approached on the left by petrov in a normal fashion. Hamilton was not worried about being passed by petrov at all, and facilitated petrov's move on the outside.

Hamilton chose his line and stuck to it, way before the braking zones. No desperate move to prevent being out braked like what you said.

When you say he broke a rule, it would help if the exact wording was posted. I think it is agreed there there was no breach based on the exact wording, and the rules are not to be based on our own words.

Ringo, you must be joking, no? Of course it was dirty, illegal trick and he should have been penalized. Tell me how the driver behind could even attempt an overtaking if the insane guy ahead is moving all over the place? If you move to pass the guy could just crush into you, so it was also safety concern.

MattF1
MattF1

Lay off it everyone!!

Clearly it is not an 'OBVIOUS' decision for the stewards as half of you think he should have got a penalty and half of you think he shouldn't.

Also note that after all of this nobody has changed their minds, so why does everyone persist with trying to foce everyone else to believe their own view.

You all:
--have different opinions.
--they will not change.
--and we all know them.

So thanks for your discussion on the matter, but I don't think it is necessary to take it any further.

PS Mods, delete this if you think it is too much off topic.

Pandamasque

I'm amazed and disappointed. It appears formula 1 indeed has no future, as so many of its fans (even at F1T!) couldn't care less about sportsmanship and fair competition as long as a). they are fed a 'good show'* b). their idols win.

*on the other hand if everyone would ignore the rule as LH did, we'd never see another successful slipstream overtaking manoeuvre so that would hinder 'the show' unless they have a big crash as a result.

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Pandamasque wrote:I'm amazed and disappointed. It appears formula 1 indeed has no future, as so many of its fans (even at F1T!) couldn't care less about sportsmanship and fair competition as long as a). they are fed a 'good show'* b). their idols win.
Completely agree with your sentiment.

It seems that many F1 viewers are happy for certain drivers to do what they like but I can guarantee that some of the same people condoning LH weaving would be outraged if another driver (say Schumacher) did the same and got away with it. Inconsistency at its best(!).

djones
djones

I hate LH but his driving was amazing at the weekend and the weaving was fantastic and exactly what we want to see.

TheMinister

Oh no, not another fanboi ying yang!

I think what needs to be done from here is for the stewards to put out a clear message on the interpretation of the rule: how will any repeat of this move be considered in the future?

I'm not particularly concerned about the move hamilton made, as it was safe and blah blah the race is over blah it's early in the morning blah who cares.

BUT the drivers should definitely have a clear statement on whether or not they can do the same move at the next race.

axle
axle

From a neutral perspective I was pleased LH and SV* didn't get punished for their indiscretions.

But it's certainly worth noting that the R30 has excellent straight line speed if it can keep up with and overtake the F-ducted MP4-25 (after LH's failed attempt the previous lap).

Seems like the stewards did a good job and didn't get all bogged down in the letter of the law bollox that's ruined so many races. LH wasn't really dangerous and wasn't weaving in a braking zone. IMO The length of the straight needs to be considered...I think if LH had stuck to the outside at the end of the straight we'd have less to talk about.

Anyway racing and overtaking was good to watch. Sodding Ferrari's seemed to be a mobile road block for much of the start!

FW32 appears to lack straight line grunt and high speed cornering ability just like the FW31 so the clean sheet is clearly not so clean.

*Overtaking under yellow
- Axle

hollus

Talking of overtaking, in Malaysia we ad plenty of it and in a completely dry race.
We had Maclarens cutting up the field, Mcalerens passing Ferraris, Ferraris passing Mclarens, Ranaults passing Mclarens, Renaults and williamses being passed, toro-rossos passing almost everything that was slower and even Hispanias passing Lotuses. All on track, all by racing. No wonder one in 15-20 maneuvers is contested, it is te side effect of lots of passing.
And while it is true that it was helped by the Maccas and the Ferries starting down the field, a lot of that passing happened in between them, and tus would probably have been there also if it was for P4 or for P1.
Maybe if we had the Red Bulls mixed in between as well we would have had the best dry race in ages.
I think the track was the key point, and with the right track and a couple of motives to have drivers in different strategies, these cars can properly race each other as it should be. Damn difficult to pass, but possible sometimes by luck, sometimes by speed and sometimes by tactics.
Still, not all tracks are Malaysia and we will have some more processions this year, but as for yesterday, it was the bast dry passing show in a god while, maybe since Suzuka 2005?
Rivals, not enemies.

WhiteBlue

hear, hear!

And the track being by Tilke!
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

andartop
andartop

TheMinister wrote:I think what needs to be done from here is for the stewards to put out a clear message on the interpretation of the rule: how will any repeat of this move be considered in the future?
...the drivers should definitely have a clear statement on whether or not they can do the same move at the next race.
I thought the stewards did exactly that by issuing the warning, making it clear that a repeat will not be tolerated.

Despite all that's been said, I do agree in retrospect that this was a sound decision given the circumstances and the outcome. However, the whole point is whether they would have been as lenient if this was a race-deciding moment, or a championship deciding moment...

As for the race, I think drivers seemed to be much more aware of their cars and tires limitations, compared to Bahrain, and that contributed to more overtakings, apart from the width and design of the track. I mean, JB would never have taken a decision to follow the strategy he did, possible nor the Ferraris, if they didn't feel confident their tires would last the distance. Lewis on the other hand chose a different strategy, which helped him seem quicker during the race, but ultimately brought him just ahead of his rivals at the end. I think I like that sort of thing, and here's hoping the deeper into the season the more variations we'll see that will lead to such exciting racing.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

Shrieker

andartop wrote:
TheMinister wrote: Lewis on the other hand chose a different strategy, which helped him seem quicker during the race, but ultimately brought him just ahead of his rivals at the end.
I thought that was because he got stuck behind a slower car (Sutil) for a long time ? We don't know how Lewis would've fared with clean air in front of him, so a meaningful conclusion regarding the outcome of different tyre strategies can't be reached.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

myurr
myurr

Has anyone got the video of earlier in the previous lap where Petrov did the same thing to Hamilton, moving across the track to try and break the tow? I don't remember seeing it but it has been mentioned on another board.

Also Barrichello weaved to block Hamilton at Brazil last year and escaped without penalty or the outcry of some on this board. In that instance there was minor contact and Hamilton had to abort the overtake, clearly far worse than anything Hamilton did in this race.

And where people are arguing for the letter of the law to be followed despite common sense saying otherwise, what about Vettel passing Trulli under waved yellow flags? Rightly this was also ignored by the stewards.