How About Wake Modification?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
godlameroso

Re: How About Wake Modification?

vorticism wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 02:55
If a powered fan were permitted on the car, this could be used to accelerate the radiator outflow up to freestream velocity, which should help reduce the turbulence in the wake. True or false? Also, it might allow downsizing or the radiators and bodywork, affecting the size of the wake furthermore.
True, is the pressure that builds up in the engine cover, enough to accelerate the outflow above free-stream velocity? What if you add a heat source? What if that airflow bleeds out of carefully constructed panel gaps? Could you energize the boundary layer that way?
Saishū kōnā

vorticism

For what I had in mind a ducted fan would be used. If a Meredith effect is feasible with the current type of construction available to the cars, then I'd guess we're already seeing it in the current inlet/outlet area ratios. If not, then outflow is below freestream velocity requiring a fan to accelerate it. For drag reduction and maybe some slightly cleaner flow aft of the car.
𓄀

godlameroso

vorticism wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 23:57
For what I had in mind a ducted fan would be used. If a Meredith effect is feasible with the current type of construction available to the cars, then I'd guess we're already seeing it in the current inlet/outlet area ratios. If not, then outflow is below freestream velocity requiring a fan to accelerate it. For drag reduction and maybe some slightly cleaner flow aft of the car.
Heated air increases in kinematic viscosity, it sticks to walls better. Air at 100c has almost twice as much kinematic viscosity as air at 20c.
Saishū kōnā