Is Vettel overrated? What do you think

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Is he overrated?

Of course not
30%
Extremely fast, but inconsistent
28%
He is nothing but hype
17%
He will mature in time
25%

Total votes: 197

WhiteBlue

Re: Is Vettel overrated? What do you think

Most people who have criticized Vettel for the bus stop accident seem to forget that he wasn't behind Button but beside him in an overlap. It was a very strange accident where he lost the car under the brakes. If you look at the pictures you see him immediately applying opposite locks as he should. IMO Vettel simply made an aggressive move to pass Button on the outside into bus stop and had a freak accident that he could not foresee. His problem was compounded by receiving a penalty that was mainly caused by McLaren politicking and the driver steward being sympathetic with their cause. On top Vettel got his left rear tyre slashed by Liuzzi who had no business to interfere with Sebs line through La Source. Liuzzi was cleanly passed and should have stayed clear of Vettel's line. At the moment Vettel is rather under rated by the odds IMO. He has a mountain to climb if he wants to win the WDC this year. Character building stuff.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

raymondu999

I thought Liuzzi's wing slashed Vettel's tyre at the Fagnes chicane.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

WhiteBlue

I just had a glimpse of it in the race and it looked like La Source for me. The point was that Liuzzi was far behind. At least that was the comment by Marc Surer on Sky.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive
xpensive

WhiteBlue wrote:I just had a glimpse of it in the race and it looked like La Source for me. The point was that Liuzzi was far behind. At least that was the comment by Marc Surer on Sky.
Obviously close enough to have his front wing chopped off, all in all, Vettel is an arrogant brat, in and out of the car.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:Vettel is an arrogant brat, in and out of the car.

Don't let your opinionated views bite you in the ass. :wink:

raymondu999

Guys can we keep the comments to his racecraft/racing/driving rather than him as a person? F1 is about drivers driving F1 cars, not about people who drive. It's a driving contest (and technology too though) and not a personality pageant.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

clarkiesyeah wrote:
DaveKillens wrote:
andrew wrote: I would give a year's salary to see Vettel and Hamilton on the same team and driving identical cars. Vettel would obviously be the quicker, and thus I rate Hamilton and Vettel as being equal right now.
So you are basing your opinion that Vettel is equal on your other opinion that vettel is quicker?

What facts do you have to suggest either of those opinions?
None, it's my opinion. I haven't noticed you supporting your arguments with facts .... even though your posts display a strong anti-Vettel sentiment and a fondness for Lewis. 'nuff said.

I actually believe that right today Vettel is quicker. But Hamilton is more consistent. To me, that places them in a tie.

There's been a lot of comparison with Hamilton, and there's one huge difference that I touched on earlier. McLaren rarely make mistakes in making calls, while Red Bull are definitely weak in this area. For example, in Australia everyone was watching Button after he made his famous tire change. When it proved to be the right call, everyone else poured into the pits to get onto slicks. Except Red Bull, both Vettel and Webber went another lap before they began to execute the tire changes for their drivers. To be one lap late in making a call that was patently obvious displays a weakness in making the correct decisions and executing them.

To have support that you know you can rely on is a very powerful tool, while being aware that the team could easily drop the ball wreaks havoc on the driver's confidence and psyche. If a driver believes his team will take advantage of every situation and make the right call, he's more confident and maybe might not take unnecessary risks. But if the driver thinks that his team isn't capable of delivering him the correct strategy throughout the race, he might feel compelled to take unnecessary risks.

There's another area that is presently premature to make judgement on, and that's the ability to handle pressure. There are some drivers who seem born to the chore of handling pressure well, while there are others who crumble or do something erratic or stupid.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

raymondu999

To me in terms of being a driver Vettel just slightly edges Lewis out in terms of speed. (This is just personal experience, not based on anything. The only possible base is Formula 3... I believe they competed there together) But racecraft Lewis in his McLaren is definitely an overtaking god, and anyone who denies that is lying to themselves.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

The only memorable pass Hamilton has to his credit was a few years ago at Interlagos, on the last lap. Or wait, was it at the same venue but a year previous when he attempted to pass Alonso, slid wide, and dropped from 4th to 8th? Or was it the attempted pass of Vettel at the 2008 race in France, where he overshot the chicane on lap one?

Meanwhile I witnessed Rosberg passing Schumacher on the track at Spa.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

marcush.
marcush.

up to this point we have no single indication of Vettel driving in his own class speedwise in F1.Frankly speaking ,as Webber got is health back there is not really much
to find between these two...sp Webbo clearly in the same league but it has swung back and forth with those two all year ....clear indication of NON superiority .
As for Hamilton ,we can see the picture emerging that he just has consistantly the edge over Button speedwise and seems to always have something in the bag to top Buttons time.
Considering Button is at least a very competent driver with lots of wins plus reigning champion ,it is fair to say that Lewis is just a bit ahead not only in poinst ,apart from experience and age that is.

myurr
myurr

DaveKillens wrote:The only memorable pass Hamilton has to his credit was a few years ago at Interlagos, on the last lap. Or wait, was it at the same venue but a year previous when he attempted to pass Alonso, slid wide, and dropped from 4th to 8th? Or was it the attempted pass of Vettel at the 2008 race in France, where he overshot the chicane on lap one?

Meanwhile I witnessed Rosberg passing Schumacher on the track at Spa.
Without wanting to get too personal that post is just deranged. Hamilton is widely acknowledged as being one of, if not the best, passer of the current generation of F1 stars. He even managed to build this reputation by overtaking the leading stars in his first few races. Vettel isn't anywhere near being in the same league in this one regard.
Last edited by myurr on 31 Aug 2010, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.

myurr
myurr

double post

myurr
myurr

marcush. wrote:up to this point we have no single indication of Vettel driving in his own class speedwise in F1.Frankly speaking ,as Webber got is health back there is not really much
to find between these two...sp Webbo clearly in the same league but it has swung back and forth with those two all year ....clear indication of NON superiority .
As for Hamilton ,we can see the picture emerging that he just has consistantly the edge over Button speedwise and seems to always have something in the bag to top Buttons time.
Considering Button is at least a very competent driver with lots of wins plus reigning champion ,it is fair to say that Lewis is just a bit ahead not only in poinst ,apart from experience and age that is.
I would actually rate Webber at about the same level as Button, based on current form. In Spa he particularly impressed as he stayed calm and didn't let the red mist descend despite his start issues.

I believe that Vettel is a bit faster, maybe on par with Hamilton (although I believe Lewis has an ever so slight edge), but without the consistency and racecraft. Hence over a season, especially as the pressure mounts, he's making too many mistakes and failing to beat his peers despite having the best car on the grid.

SiLo

Vettel is starting to drive like Hamilton did at the tail end of '07, when he could have easily won the championship.
Felipe Baby!

marcush.
marcush.

with the subtle difference that Hamilton was actually having the championship in sight and Vettel is not even close to be the hounted.
His position is easy and clear: deliver ,so how bad would things be if the pressure of a looming Championship was affecting him?