The F-duct voted out by the teams

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
autogyro
autogyro

Re: The F-duct voted out by the teams

vall wrote:
mx_tifosi wrote:I suppose that my point of view stems from my belief that F1 shouldn't be relegated to technology that is relevant to road cars, and that said position should be reserved for actual series which cater to production based models, even prototypes albeit at a more distant level./quote]

+100

There are enough other series that could be test bed for road car technology. I was always puzzled by the notion that F1 need to be road cars relevant. This may be the politically correct thing to say, but I think F1 should be kept as the most technologically advanced sport.
I agree 100 percent, unfortunately to be the most technicaly advanced F1 can no longer rely on straining more power from obsolete ic engines at the expense of fuel used, or by pretending to be an upside down formula for aircraft.

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

mx_tifosi wrote:Oddly enough when I think about active aero in F1 and roads cars the main area that springs to my mind is for the cooling system. In that flaps in the sidepods could be closed at high speeds in order to reduce drag, and the same thing could be done on road cars during highway use.
It's already working 8) BMW has it since 2 years I think in every road car in their "Efficient Dynamics" package.
http://www.bmw.de/de/de/insights/techno ... ntrol.html

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

I don't think it's necessary to be road car relevant, but the whole reason for the "F-duct" especially on with driver blocking a vent is to get by the whole active aero rule. Given the option I'd much rather see actual active aero, be it as movable wing or a powered blown slot, than a driver moving his knee or palm.

aral
aral

Autogyro says that the ICE is obsolete! Thats news to me. Petrol and Diesel engines are being continuously refined, and they will be around for a long, long time.

autogyro
autogyro

gilgen wrote:Autogyro says that the ICE is obsolete! Thats news to me. Petrol and Diesel engines are being continuously refined, and they will be around for a long, long time.
Which goes to show that you can learn something new every day.
ICE have been obsolete for a very long time and it is only the need to use certain fuels for energy that will see the technology continue for a while.

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

With next year FDuct being "Banned/outlawed", would it be feasable if instead of the air going to the rear wing thus stalling it, but instead having the air going to the rear diffuser? Not to stall but to give extra downforce to the rear of the Macca?

So effectively the air would go down the rear wing and into the DDD?

WhiteBlue

I cannot see much sense in that approach. What you do with the DDDs is giving air that is already under the floor a bigger outlet to accelerate it. The way I understand your proposal you would pipe additional air from the air box into the reduced diffusor. How is that supposed to help the downforce?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Richard
Richard

The DDD is banned from next year as well as the F duct.

Also I would expect the F duct ban to prohibit on the driver control, and also ban blow rear wings by tightening the "closed section" rule. So there will be no air to direct anywhere, and no hole in the floor to feed the diffuser.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if we see one of the teams find another loophole.

edit - has anyone seen a draft of the prosed rule changes? I might do a google later when I have time

Shaddock

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

The F Duct is banned for next year under the regulation of being 'driver controlled'. How will the F-Duct morph into a fully automated system that that does not require a drivers input.

auto saibot

Shaddock wrote:The F Duct is banned for next year under the regulation of being 'driver controlled'. How will the F-Duct morph into a fully automated system that that does not require a drivers input.
by someone in the pits controlling it through wireless :lol:

autogyro
autogyro

Shaddock wrote:The F Duct is banned for next year under the regulation of being 'driver controlled'. How will the F-Duct morph into a fully automated system that that does not require a drivers input.
In the same way as the EBD will.

wesley123
wesley123

then it still isnt legal to do so. F-Duct is banned next year, it doesn't matter if it will be automated or not(if it is automated it will be under movable aero, still illegal)

And with the EBD there isnt any driver input involved, only a simple change in engine mapping(Though that is only the case with red bull)
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

myurr
myurr

wesley123 wrote:then it still isnt legal to do so. F-Duct is banned next year, it doesn't matter if it will be automated or not(if it is automated it will be under movable aero, still illegal)

And with the EBD there isnt any driver input involved, only a simple change in engine mapping(Though that is only the case with red bull)
Throttle position changes the amount of 'air' blowing through the diffuser, therefore it is active.

I was under the impression, though, that next year the f-duct was only banned through a FOTA agreement rather than anything specifically against active aero.

wesley123
wesley123

indeed, but automated makes it actually real active aero, as you have to do something else to create the pressure wich causes it to flow, thus with valves.

And about the EBD is true, but you can hardly ban the exhaust cant you? Afterall their placement has in any way effect on the aero, no mather how you place it. with this placement you gain some extra, there is no danger in the whole system.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Richard
Richard

The facts are that the mass tuned dampers are banned. One might argue that the ban is illogical, but life isn't always logical. There's no point re-opening that debate.

As for the F duct, does anyone actually know how the f-duct ban will be written? It may focus on the human intervention aspect, or it may prohibit open section wings. We don't know.