Canadian GP 2010 - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ISLAMATRON

Re: Has Red Bull pissed away the WC?

that is alot of wall dust, yeah that rim caught a bad one

strad

Ferrari for sure and I figure most the others...after any use, it must be sent back to the factory for testing for cracks. Paper thin man,,,paper thin
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

Re: Canadian GP 2010 - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

W/B said:
That was the real reason that Mercedes could not qualify well but went much better with race fuel on board. They cannot get the tyres to dissipate heat on low fuel.
I think you mean just the opposite....They can't make heat on low load.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

WhiteBlue

strad wrote:W/B said:
That was the real reason that Mercedes could not qualify well but went much better with race fuel on board. They cannot get the tyres to dissipate heat on low fuel.
I think you mean just the opposite....They can't make heat on low load.
I guess we are talking about the same thing here. Dissipating energy means heating the tyres by internal friction. That friction - besides other factors - needs traction of the tyre on the track surface and a higher load by more fuel will help with both the traction and the dissipation. During qualifying they do not cary high fuel loads and run only short runs. Both isn't helpfull for heating the tyres. Typically Merc also had less problems with the option tyre than the prime. The option is softer and will dissipate less energy all other factors being equal.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

WhiteBlue

WhiteBlue wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:Webber backs gearbox change over conspiracy theories
I thought it was clearly said that Webbo's wall scrape in Q3 was what necessatated the gearbox change, or did I hear that in a dream?
I have my doubts about that. That Q3 kissing of the wall was rather shy. He traded a bit of rubber but did not even scratch the wheel rim. I can imagine that the RBR boxes are a bit marginal due to the exhaust routing they do this year.
Chaparral wrote:Sorry how do you know he didnt bang the rim :?:
-IMG-
strad wrote:Looks scuffed at 7 oclock,,9 oclock and from 12 to 1 oclock quite frankly,,that rim must be thrown away
ISLAMATRON wrote:that is alot of wall dust, yeah that rim caught a bad one
:mrgreen: love that humor
strad wrote:Ferrari for sure and I figure most the others...after any use, it must be sent back to the factory for testing for cracks. Paper thin man,,,paper thin
banged up as Chaparral said and probably took the gearbox with it :wink:
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Chaparral

Well I dont know about you but you bang a wheel like that in a V8 Supercar and you most likely break the Watts linkage and/or gearbox and an F1 car is much more flimsey :roll:
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

autogyro
autogyro

You definitely could not build a proper mans racing car like a super stock like that.

Chaparral

autogyro wrote:You definitely could not build a proper mans racing car like a super stock like that.
I have no idea what your talking about Auto :?
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs - there's also the negative side' - Hunter S Thompson

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

richard_leeds wrote:That's impressive panning, you've got the car so nice and crisp.

Personally, I like the fence - it gives a real sense of being trackside. Also the panning has blurred it so it is not too intrusive.
Only thing with fence is they messes with AF sometimes....You can PP the color and the obviousness of fence in a shot but if AF does odd thing they you just get a bad shot....

Where I was sitting there were also speakers which is annoying since you can't hear them but they are just in the way...

There is a fence in the foreground but between the panning and some saturation and contrast tuning you can't really notice it anymore.

strad

W/B said:
I guess we are talking about the same thing here. Dissipating energy means heating the tyres by internal friction
Dissaipate means to get rid of the heat..
1. To drive away; disperse.
2. To attenuate to or almost to the point of disappearing: The wind finally dissipated the smoke. See Synonyms at scatter.
a. To spend or expend intemperately or wastefully; squander.
b. To use up, especially recklessly; exhaust: dissipated their energy. See Synonyms at waste.
4. To cause to lose (energy, such as heat) irreversibly.
v.intr.
1. To vanish by dispersion: The dark clouds finally dissipated.
2. To indulge in the intemperate pursuit of pleasure.

dissi·pater, dissi·pator n.
dissi·pative adj.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dissipate [ˈdɪsɪˌpeɪt]
vb
1. to exhaust or be exhausted by dispersion
2. (tr) to scatter or break up
3. (intr) to indulge in the pursuit of pleasure
[from Latin dissipāre to disperse, from dis-1 + supāre to throw]
dissipater , dissipator n
dissipative adj
Sir Stirling Moss

PlatinumZealot

So can a sudden jerk to the control arm mounts really take out the gearbox just like? (I know there is no axial force to the drive-shaft because those have splines so the shafts can slide in and out). What really happens in the gearbox for a sudden jerk to put it out of commission?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

lotus7
lotus7

Thanks Strad , =D> that is what dissipte means in the English language spoken in the South of Africa

PlatinumZealot

Is generate you mean WB.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

WhiteBlue

n smikle wrote:Is generate you mean WB.
First of all, Strad is right about the true meaning of dissipation, but I will explain why I typically use it that way.

In technical terms dissipated energy means losses and those losses are almost totally represented by heat which is the least valuable form of energy. Potential energy, inertially stored energy, chemically stored energy and electrical energy are the useful forms of energy which we strive to achieve from a thermal engine.

The heat which is generated in the tyres by the deformation through downforce is waste energy from a thermodynamic point of view although in motor racing ultimately it helps the performance by making tyres stickier. The tyres are constantly loosing (dissipating) the energy generated by internal friction. So from an energy balance point of view the generated heat is equal to the dissipated heat because the process has no useful energy term. This is why I usually do not bother to distinguish between generation and dissipation.

Same by the way is true for some other big sources of loss, the energy dissipated by drag is ultimately generating heat in the air (which is nicely demonstrated by re entering space vehicles). The heat from the brakes is also dissipated energy unless we use KERS.

The language purist apparently insist to use the word generation for the heat from the internal friction in the tyres. I can assure you that I mean absolutely the same thing when I speak of the energy dissipated by the tyres.

strad

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sir Stirling Moss