Flexible wings controversy 2010

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
forty-two

Re: Flexible wings controversy 2010

marcush. wrote:as I have explained a few posts back to see 2 pins does not assure this is a stiff cónnection,it was not even the case if the two pins were a perfect fit.A bolt is a hinge first law of mechanical engineering almost.
You just need to increase the bore tolerance on the stay itself (for ease of mounting... :roll: ..to create a crude hinge for the little angular movement needed .
Or maybe the stay (if they still have one?) is indeed rigidly fixed to the bib, but it's top "anchor point" is actually merely a slot through which it passes, allowing it to slide back and forth. Looking once more at the older image, it certainly looks like it might just be a slot!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

marcush.
marcush.

in short even mere mortals as us can come up with workarounds here .so in case of Ferrari Mclaren Ercedes with true pain felt plus being in it not just since yesterdays the solutions should be like a slap in your face as you surely have tried all available to run the car as low as possible within the regs degree of freedom...

You just cannot start a design of your car drawing a tub around the engine of your choice and hope you will end up with something competitive.
The real challenge is to identify the true key points in the regs -in terms of tolernaces and soft points of interpretation that could make a difference in performance and build your car in aw ways to exploit this to the max.

this is not something that will work from a CAD screen in Catia V5 methinks.

komninosm
komninosm

marcush. wrote:We have conclude months ago that a static vertical load test will not challenge
RedBulls frnt wing design as the bending of the wing is triggered by a longitudinal force(drag) by clever fibre orientation of the wing skins .
Nice...

Mysticf1
Mysticf1

no stay?

edit: original twitpic link

http://twitpic.com/30y4m1
Last edited by Mysticf1 on 26 Oct 2010, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

djos

Nope, they deleted it in Japan.
"In downforce we trust"

forty-two

Mysticf1 wrote:Image

no stay?
Image link seems to be dud. Any chance you could re-post?

Thanks!

djos

It was working earlier. :?:
"In downforce we trust"

Mysticf1
Mysticf1

post edited above, maybe twitpic doesnt like direct linking

forty-two

Thanks Mystic!

I hope you don't mind, but I've taken the liberty of trying again:

Edit, looks like that link broke already!

Who knows how long these links will continue to work though!
Last edited by forty-two on 27 Oct 2010, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

strad

And just what do you think you see in that muddy picture??
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

forty-two

strad wrote:And just what do you think you see in that muddy picture??
The absence of a bib-stay.

Edit - poor grammar

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

You can't hotlink twitpic images, they are stored on amazon and they have a time limited url. So rehost them on imgur.com if you wanna post the image.

forty-two

imightbewrong wrote:You can't hotlink twitpic images, they are stored on amazon and they have a time limited url. So rehost them on imgur.com if you wanna post the image.
Thanks for the heads up, looks like imighthavebeenwrong!

shamikaze
shamikaze

During yesterday's race, I noticed from the onboard shots that McL FW also had more downwards-movement to it then before. Still nothing close to what RB has, but getting near to what Ferrari is running.

Anyone care to confirm (possibly with pic's) ?

GReetz,

S.

speedsense
speedsense

forty-two wrote:Thanks Mystic!

I hope you don't mind, but I've taken the liberty of trying again:

Edit, looks like that link broke already!

Who knows how long these links will continue to work though!
Forty Two,
I posted this in the Formula one cars thread for the RBR accidently. In the photo ***note the two square tubings that would proceed the location of the splitter. Imagine a smaller insert tube mounted to the splitter that inserts into the tube to mount the splitter. This tube could be made to slide in and out and flexible when out. It won't need to move much, just enough to expose the flexible portion. It could have some sort of activation device from within the cockpit. In for the static tests, out for running. Kinda goes along with your theory.
Having built a few splitter's for Atlantic cars, this mounting on the RBR and the location of the square tubing, makes me curious. I do think that it would aid a fast removable of the splitter, ie to swap it with another in a hurry but I have never seen a mounting like this... And from the video at Singapore, is the apparent flex point upon hitting the curb...very interesting....

"Driving a car as fast as possible (in a race) is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction." Peter Wright,Techical Director, Team Lotus