2010/2011 winter testing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
godlameroso

Re: 2010/2011 winter testing

Wow, Ricciardo almost got it into the 1:38's
Saishū kōnā

raymondu999

I wonder if teams will start somehow designing their RW around that movable rear wing concept. A wing that has, in economics terms, high downforce elasticity of drag. So the shift cuts LOADS of drag but doesn't affect downforce too much.

I would've thought actually they should've allowed the addition of an 8th "overdrive" gear only for use in slipstream conditions instead. Much easier to set up, and much less "gimmicky" I feel.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Holm86

godlameroso wrote:Wow, Ricciardo almost got it into the 1:38's
He did. Best time was 01:38.102 .... In my eyes thats impressive. Even though there is alot more rubber on the track by now.

Ambrosios time of 01:38.802 is also quite good in the Renault.

Neno
Neno

Holm86 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:Wow, Ricciardo almost got it into the 1:38's
He did. Best time was 01:38.102 .... In my eyes thats impressive. Even though there is alot more rubber on the track by now.

Ambrosios time of 01:38.802 is also quite good in the Renault.
Ambrosio didn't have f-duct on his car, can you explain this? car without f-duct is faster then with him? i compare ambrosio's time with times from r. kubica and v. petrov :?

Formula None
Formula None

No passive f-duct on the Merc.

forty-two

I suspect it's a trick of the light, but do those sidepod intakes on the Merc seem bigger than they were in-season?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

raymondu999

I think it's the angle. Looking at that car from above, the ass is VERY tight, isn't it?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Gaara
Gaara

Can teams try new parts on their cars ? or 2011 parts ?

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Interesting aero evaluation from the two teams.

JornGhielen
JornGhielen

Yeah whats that thing on the right hand sidepot? Looks like Corn field sparges :P

thestig84
thestig84

Gaara wrote:Can teams try new parts on their cars ? or 2011 parts ?
They can do anything they want to. Its testing, so test away!

Im really shocked that so many people are so excited by the times. Over 800 laps of extra rubber has transformed the track. Almost every team has had their race drivers qualy times beaten by young drivers I think that shows the track has ramped up massively.

Arunas
Arunas

thestig84 wrote:
Gaara wrote:Can teams try new parts on their cars ? or 2011 parts ?
They can do anything they want to. Its testing, so test away!

Im really shocked that so many people are so excited by the times. Over 800 laps of extra rubber has transformed the track. Almost every team has had their race drivers qualy times beaten by young drivers I think that shows the track has ramped up massively.
nobody's exited about that, problem is - not everybody beat weekend times by the same margin..

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Williams, Ferarri and Renault seem to have rack array sensors to try and get data for wheel airflow wash, i suspect they are baslineing the Bridgestone to the most accurate and recent tyre they are using. I suspect those arrays will be out Friday/Saturday as well for the Pirelli days as well as the wheel airflow wash will completly change aerodynamically.

Force India seem to be going with a heat sensor on their wind mirror as well, this can only be so they can see how easy they will go on their Pirellis next year, as if Pirelli go agressive on compound, the car that dosnt eat their tyres willultimatly be faster over a race distance, if they can get the car to qualify well enough, and Force India are going with an agressive aero set-up next year from reports ive heard.

I see most teams are testing without F-Ducts on, this is so the young guys dont get spooked from the device, and the fact its banned next year, id also be half expecting most teams to already have tested the proximity wing in the 'tunnel, so in regaurds to Renault and Mercedes i think they could have a first revision full size on their cars in theese tests.

As for the times, im not reading anything into them. But from what ive seen, most are running 20KG ballast for KERS weight increase to 640KG, i am thinking that Red Bull and Hispania are running 2010 weights.

On a statistic side of thing, since last Friday, there has been almost 4850 F1 laps of Bridgestone rubber put down on the track, and thers probably arround 5-700 laps of GP2 rubber and a simmilar ammount of Porsche Supercup rubber down as well. So with tomorrow off, im expecting Friday and Saturday being a abnormal baseline for Pirelli, but a telling one, it will mean they are either on the right path laptime wise, or going the wrong way, completly. Im thinking the Pirelli days will be a good indication, but im not reading into laptimes, im going on distance as i think if they do enough distance they will be fine.

To an extent i miss two car testing, and i think since the test limit of 30,000KM isnt gonna be reached by any team, why not let 2 car testing??? By my estimation, most teams are lucky to do 7500km between both pre and post season testing. Id be happy for the first test of they year being a single car test with the rest being 2 car tests, if the second car is avalable, but limit each driver to a maximum of 7 days in the car before each season. Post season should be a car for race drivers and a car for young guys at Abu Dhabi for a day test.

djos

The reason for 1 car testing is simple, less cost (2 car tests are expensive) and less crowded tracks so the teams get better results.
"In downforce we trust"

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Fair explination.

With that id bring the test distance down to 8000KM, with pre season being limited to 6000KM as well.

Lets see the days of 2007/8 when mostly Renault and a couple other teams were so close to the limit that they only ran a single car. Lets see teams try to squirm a little in the pre season, and make the first race more of a equal footing would be my argument for that.