Clutch Kiss point

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
747heavy

Re: Clutch Kiss point

care to provide any proof of your "truth", so far it´s just your opinion.
what would a ECU do, to engage/disengage the clutch, that a driver can´t?

WB, can you show any clarifacation by the FIA to §9.2.4, seems to be still the same as it was at the beginning of the year.
Last edited by 747heavy on 16 Sep 2010, 04:43, edited 1 time in total.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

autogyro
autogyro

If the grid was forced to use manual clutch engagement using a conventional clutch operating system there would be the following result.
One third of the cars would stall the engines.
One third of the cars would spin up the rear wheels uncontrolled.
One third of the cars would burn out the clutches.
Try it some time.

flynfrog

autogyro wrote:If the grid was forced to use manual clutch engagement using a conventional clutch operating system there would be the following result.
One third of the cars would spin up the rear wheels uncontrolled.
One third of the cars would burn out the clutches.
Try it some time.
so F1 drivers cant use a clutch now?

And there is no reason that you couldn't have the system as it is now fully manual

How is it any different than launching a motor cycle with a very light flywheel. Seems that they do it just fine

autogyro
autogyro

You can practicaly launch a light racing motor cycle with a big elastic band.

WhiteBlue

747heavy wrote:WB, can you show any clarifacation by the FIA to §9.2.4, seems to be still the same as it was at the beginning of the year.
Clarifications are internal communication private to the teams and the FiA technical delegate. Occasionally you get to see the text of one when there are serious wars being fought with protests and ICA decisions on the matter. Normally they are top secrete.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

747heavy

so can you give a technical reason for your assumption autogyro?
what exactly does the "magic computer controled clutch" in an F1 car in your opinion, that a mechanical system can´t.

And yes I have driven race cars with a small carbon clutch - no big deal really, with
an good mechanical clutch design.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

flynfrog

autogyro wrote:You can practicaly launch a light racing motor cycle with a big elastic band.
Been doing it for years. Some even have peaky two strokes in them.

you could do it full manual by play with the leverage ratio you could have a dead spot in it just like scaling an electronic signal. I still have no idea what point you are trying to make?

autogyro
autogyro

Simple question fellas.
If it is soooo simple even for 747 heavy to launch a race car manualy with a small carbon clutch, then why on earth do they need all this dual paddle stuff?

Hmm, now what could the reason possibly be?
An indulgence?
40 years of designing and devloping transmissions and clutch systems tells me otherwise.

RH1300S
RH1300S

autogyro wrote:Simple question fellas.
If it is soooo simple even for 747 heavy to launch a race car manualy with a small carbon clutch, then why on earth do they need all this dual paddle stuff?

An indulgence?
40 years of designing and devloping transmissions and clutch systems tells me otherwise.
I'll give you some reasons you might want two clutch levers....

#1 - simply to give the driver the option to use either hand to control the clutch, choices are always good

#2 - to allow a manual system of launch where one hand is at a pre-chosen bite-point while the other holds the clutch fully disengaged. An arrangement like this is not perfect, but within the rules and at least gives the driver a better chance of launching the car well than with one clutch lever

#3 - symmetry looks pretty

BTW - I have no idea how hard it is to launch a car with an on/off switch of an engine and a carbon clutch but I have experience with bikes (a little closer to this than most cars) and it's basically throttle position against bite point, with each changing as you start moving. I know that feel has been brought up with bike clutches - personally I don't THINK I use feel (I might), I think my ears and touch sense tell me what to do with clutch/throttle adjustment - and yes, I have started in the noise of a race you still sense your own vehicle's engine.

What this discussion is giving me is the realisation that F1 drivers are doing a terrific job of getting the cars launched at the moment as less than a third of the cars stall/wheelspin/burn their clutches - in fact nearly all of them get underway very well indeed.
Last edited by RH1300S on 16 Sep 2010, 13:26, edited 2 times in total.

flynfrog

autogyro wrote:Simple question fellas.

An indulgence?
nobody said it was simple It took many races to get good at launching. I thought your argument was that it was computer controlled. If its computer controlled why use two levers? as TH1300S posts two levers lets the driver hold one in position while fully disengaging the clutch seems to work well to me

again what point are you trying to make?

autogyro
autogyro

It is of course true that most of the F1 grids launch with few stalls or wheel spins or clutch burn outs.
However if the cars had fully manualy operated conventional clutch systems with no flywheel and such small clutch packs, I doubt that many drivers would get it right.
So the conclusion has to be that the current dual paddle systems are at the very least semi automatic in operation. They just aint manual and therefore the skill level has gone down.

flynfrog

autogyro wrote:It is of course true that most of the F1 grids launch with few stalls or wheel spins or clutch burn outs.
However if the cars had fully manualy operated conventional clutch systems with no flywheel and such small clutch packs, I doubt that many drivers would get it right.
So the conclusion has to be that the current dual paddle systems are at the very least semi automatic in operation. They just aint manual and therefore the skill level has gone down.
that depends on the skill level

let skill level of chariot racers has diminished as well.

Today's F1 driver does not possess the same skill set as Fangio but I doubt that Fangio could pilot a modern F1 car either.

I see no evidence that the clutch operation is any more than what was discussed in this thread. Ill chalk your opinions right up there with Ferrari traction control little more than conspiracy BS

The two lever system makes it easy to hit the optimal bite point and get a good launch with the touchy clutch packs of a modern F1 car you claim this to be decreased driver skill I say it is increased engineer skill. You know the people that build the cars. F1 is about much more than the driver. The cars are really the stars IMO.

Richard
Richard

Here's some examples of non-F1 drivers trying to handle the car.

First up is Mohammed ben Sulayem having a little difficulty with getting the power down in a straight line. He's a UAE champion rally driver and won more FIA regional championships, and more international rallies, than any other racer in history. He won FIA Middle-East Rally Championship 14 times.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w5RsG7mnDA[/youtube]

Second up is Richard Hammond. Have a look at his attempt in a Formula Renault, roughly 1:45 in the clip. Then fast forward to 5:15 to see him play with the clutch on the F1 car.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGUZJVY-sHo&NR[/youtube]

omar2726

autogyro wrote:If the grid was forced to use manual clutch engagement using a conventional clutch operating system there would be the following result.
That's why they have anti-stall systems. Recall Vettel's pit stop at Singapore this year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Vettel did something wrong either with the clutch, or he selected 2nd gear instead of 1st. I think the car automatically selected neutral or disengaged the clutch to avoid a stall.

Also, Hammond's start in the Top Gear video shows the anti-stall system too.

The first few posts in this thread actually made me understand F1 clutches much better. The arguments made it more fuzzy.

Cheers
Is the glass half empty or half full?
Engineer - "The glass is twice as big as it needs to be."

omar2726

I was reading an article by Karun Chandhok, and he said something about the clutch position.
Right, eight minutes to the start of the session, I get into the car and the mechanics strap the belts up, plug in the radio and steering wheel and set the mirrors. Richard does a radio check and then we review once again the switches on the steering wheel – differential entry, diff mid corner and diff exit, engine map, engine over-run setting, clutch position, tyre map, throttle pedal map and brake balance. It’s critical that all these are in the right place to get the right feeling for the car. He also fills me in on the latest wind speed and direction and the track and ambient temperatures just before the session starts. For the first practice session, all the drivers are only allocated a set of the harder ‘prime’ tyres so managing the use of the tyre is important.
The whole article here: http://www.overdrive.in/story-articles- ... 582-2.html

Cheers :D
Is the glass half empty or half full?
Engineer - "The glass is twice as big as it needs to be."