Abu Dhabi GP 2010 - Yas Marina Circuit

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
megz

Re: Abu Dhabi GP 2010 - Yas Marina Circuit

andrew wrote:I would rather see Vettel loose the title due to a blown engine after giving it his all than pull over for the likes of Webber.

MrM said last week that Alonso winning the championship would devalue F1. As with most things said by Mr M I disagreed. However, I would say that a driver like Webber winning the championship would be a kick in the nadgers for F1. In 9 years in F1 he has done nothing spectacular then all of a sudden he lands in an Adrian Newey car by virtue of being in the right place at the right time. In effect a Webber win is really an Adrian Newey win.

A championship for Alonso (dear God no!) or Vettel would be much more satisfying as, like them or loath them, they are both undeniably incredibly talented and fast, and have been throughout their career, regardless of what car they are in.
Just like Button last year then or Jacques Villeneuve in '97? He's taken what's given to him and beaten his more illustrious team mate fair and square. I have to agree that in earlier years he hasn't set the world on fire all though his Williams Cosworth did in Monaco 2006 on course for a potential win, and that time he put a Jaguar on the front row in Malaysia? And how about when he kept his head when the heavens opened up at the Nurburgring in 2007 and held on to get the 3rd place? Or that other time in Hockenheim where he won despite a drivethrough?

Webber isn't Alonso, Hamilton or Raikkonen, he's a more straight up Felipe Massa with more mental strength.

zeph
zeph

andrew wrote:However, I would say that a driver like Webber winning the championship would be a kick in the nadgers for F1. In 9 years in F1 he has done nothing spectacular then all of a sudden he lands in an Adrian Newey car by virtue of being in the right place at the right time. In effect a Webber win is really an Adrian Newey win.
Humbug. Although it cannot be denied that Vettel has had the better of him in the latter half of the season, the reason Webber is still in the race is because he beat Vettel fair and square earlier in the season.
He has been the most consistent driver this year as well, with 16 point finishes in 18 races(not to mention 10 podiums and 4 wins).

His story is one of tenacity over prospects and it deserves to be rewarded. Vettel may be the more talented of the two, but old dog Webber has inspired many (including me) with the way he has risen to the occasion this year.

The fact that he cannot match Vettel's talent makes his accomplishments this year even more astounding and deserving of reward.

piast9
piast9

(Un)fortunately the championship is won by guy with most points and the opinions that one deserves it more than the other aren't significant. So let's wait a week and we'll see.

toshinden
toshinden

Sean H wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:
Sean H wrote:I don't think Vettel will pull over like Massa. We have already seen those two crash into each other once.
Vettel told the BBC that he will do everything so that a Red Bull driver becomes champion :D
He may say that now. But nothing up to this point has shown that he or the team support Webber for the title.
I believe Vettel will do exactly like he said, when the time comes the team will do whatever necessary to win the WDC tittle. It's their dream and every team in F1, Vettel still have many years ahead anyway. I believe the pride will submerge this time.
"the day the child realize that all adults are imperfect, he becomes an adolescent; the day he forgives them, he becomes an adult" - Alden Nowlan

ecapox

piast9 wrote:(Un)fortunately the championship is won by guy with most points and the opinions that one deserves it more than the other aren't significant. So let's wait a week and we'll see.
Awesome. Thanks for the update.

Unfortunately, all we have before the actual race is completed, or even started for that matter, is personal opinion. If we didnt give that, these threads wouldnt even exist and you wouldnt be able to explain how champioinships are won.

alvinkhorfire
alvinkhorfire

andrew wrote:I would rather see Vettel loose the title due to a blown engine after giving it his all than pull over for the likes of Webber.

MrM said last week that Alonso winning the championship would devalue F1. As with most things said by Mr M I disagreed. However, I would say that a driver like Webber winning the championship would be a kick in the nadgers for F1. In 9 years in F1 he has done nothing spectacular then all of a sudden he lands in an Adrian Newey car by virtue of being in the right place at the right time. In effect a Webber win is really an Adrian Newey win.

A championship for Alonso (dear God no!) or Veetel would be much more satisfying as, like them or loath them, they are both undeniably incredibly talented and fast, and have been throughout their career, regardless of what car they are in.
Alonso has won it twice. Since Vettel is very talented, there is a huge possibility that he will become the WDC. However, it is a now-or-never situation for Webber. Since he cannot win it again, I doubt that he will have another chance, since basically RB7 will be designed around Vettel. Will Webber be able to get a seat in another front-running team? Webber has to win WDC this year for sure.

djos

I think Webber should sit Seb down and tell him that if the situation is reversed next year he will provide full support to ensure Seb wins the 2011 WDC.
"In downforce we trust"

omar2726

For me I don't like Webber to win the WDC because he's just there because of his fast car. He only wins when he's in the front row, or when he's lucky just like in Hungary. He almost does not overtake, and can't defend properly. Vettel is still a little bit clumsy, but at least he's aggressive, not like Webber and Button. Put Webber in Alonso's place and he would be the one letting Massa pass. Look at the likes of Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel, Kubica, Rosberg, Massa (Back in '07 - '08) etc. At least they try to be competitive in a not so competitive car. IMO put them in the RB6 and the WDC would be done long before the season ends.
Is the glass half empty or half full?
Engineer - "The glass is twice as big as it needs to be."

raymondu999

omar2726 wrote:For me I don't like Webber to win the WDC because he's just there because of his fast car. He only wins when he's in the front row, or when he's lucky just like in Hungary. He almost does not overtake, and can't defend properly. Vettel is still a little bit clumsy, but at least he's aggressive, not like Webber and Button. Put Webber in Alonso's place and he would be the one letting Massa pass. Look at the likes of Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel, Kubica, Rosberg, Massa (Back in '07 - '08) etc. At least they try to be competitive in a not so competitive car. IMO put them in the RB6 and the WDC would be done long before the season ends.
+1
djos wrote:I think Webber should sit Seb down and tell him that if the situation is reversed next year he will provide full support to ensure Seb wins the 2011 WDC.
I could be wrong on this, but after Singapore, Mark said he wouldn't... then had to backtrack massively and say that he thought the situation wouldn't arise where he COULD support Seb
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

netoperek
netoperek

so much bullshit around here... telling Webber doesnt deserve the title just because he had a racewinning car???
omar2726 wrote:For me I don't like Webber to win the WDC because he's just there because of his fast car. He only wins when he's in the front row, or when he's lucky just like in Hungary. He almost does not overtake, and can't defend properly.
You sure You're not confusing Webber with Vettel? :lol:
omar2726 wrote: Vettel is still a little bit clumsy, but at least he's aggressive, not like Webber and Button. Put Webber in Alonso's place and he would be the one letting Massa pass. Look at the likes of Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel, Kubica, Rosberg, Massa (Back in '07 - '08) etc. At least they try to be competitive in a not so competitive car. IMO put them in the RB6 and the WDC would be done long before the season ends.
No comment... ;]

If Vettel is one of those so much more talented and title-deserving than Webber, how come he is worse than Webber in terms of WDC points in SAME car and FULL team support? When Vettel, due to his undeniable genious, broke his new, revised FW, back in Silverstone, RBR took Webber's wing and had Mark running with old, slower wing, possibly giving MW's P1 to Vettel. Remember? Still with such help, Vettel which should be miles ahead of Webber due to Mark's lack of talent is BEHIND. More, i bet any one of You all my money, that even likes of Alonso, Hamilton and other highly rated drivers simply could not win WDC without fast enough car. So telling that Webber doesnt deserve title just because he FINALY DO HAVE fast car, and is worthless because of his number of wins in not-championship winning car is simply outrageous.

omar2726

netoperek wrote:so much bullshit around here
I'd hate to be a sissy, but ouch! Ever heard of the word OPINION?
netoperek wrote:telling Webber doesnt deserve the title just because he had a racewinning car???
When was the last time that Webber produced an exciting race? His most exciting race for me is Korea, where he crashed! He's good, he's consistent, but he's just not THAT fast. I'm talking about the total package. Like someone here said before, a Webber win is a Newey win.
netoperek wrote:how come he is worse than Webber in terms of WDC points in SAME car and FULL team support?
Because Webber does not take risks! As I've said before, he almost does not overtake. He's contented with what he has. And don't forget Vettel's engine problems. Have you forgotten Korea already?
raymondu999 wrote:More, i bet any one of You all my money, that even likes of Alonso, Hamilton and other highly rated drivers simply could not win WDC without fast enough car.
I guess you didn't remember Alonso's Renault days. How about Rosberg? He's not in a champ winning car, but he's getting noticed! How about Kubica? Honestly I didn't notice Webber before 2009.
Also, don't forget that the F10 is still behind the pace of the RB6. The McLaren also. Hands down, RBR deserves the Constructor's title. But Webber or Vettel should have bagged the driver's title long ago.

Cheers

djos

Omar, try watching the races properly before plastering the forums with rubbish - just a few races ago Mark had to overtake at least 3 cars to make his early pit stop strategy work!!!! Not only did he get past all 3 cars, he did so with out crashing into any of them!

Also Mark has managed to bring home at least 3 failing cars and bag valuable points, the only time Vettel has managed this feat was when he had a snagging brake at Monza, all other times he's been unable to preserve his car and DNF'd.
"In downforce we trust"

marcush.
marcush.

err..Vettel brought home his failed sparkplug sissy this year..

tbh...the RBR is fast but fragile and both drivers were FAR from faultfree considering the massive car advantage they had over the course of the year.

to me both of them are not the outstanding performers that Alonso and Hamilton are and Schumacher maybe was.
Of all title prospects Alonso is really the one who did not put a foot wrong this year
and who kept his head when things were not looking good.I really do not like the guy but if anayone does deserve the drivers title ,it must be him.

omar2726

Okay, I apologize for appearing to be hating Webber so much. I never said that I'd prefer Vettel to win, Vettel has had his share of errors too. Although I don't like Alonso too, I wouldn't mind him to be a champion, because even though he appears to be a spoiled brat, he is really fast. And he hasn't made too many mistakes this year. Look at Hamilton, he's fast, good at overtaking, but people only remember his crashes, and don't forget that the McLaren is not the best car this year. Vettel still needs some refinement and maturity IMHO. I also never said that Mark is stupid or worthless. As I've said before, he is consistent, but I think that he can still extract something more from his car. I may have said it too harshly earlier.

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

There's a been alot of talk about Alonso's engine situation, but here's something new. Webber's overheating issues yesterday were quite serious, and apparantly that engine can not be used again. He will now use an engine that did Singapore, Suzuka and Brazil FP in the final race. His engine situation is not much better than that of Alonso's.