Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
747heavy

Re: Renault R31

as far as the bottle goes, I would say it´s the pressure reservoir for the pneumatic valves in the engine.

IMHO it looks a little bit "too high pressure" for just being a expansion or prepressue reservoir for the radiators/cooling system.

with the radiator pressure caped to ~3.5 bar an aluminium reservoir would still to the job - IMHO.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

Francesc
Francesc

Looks at this front wheels, the inner part has a big opening, that why the apparent brake duct is so small.

Callum

The cylinder could very well be a fire extinguisher...

manchild
manchild

gibells wrote:You can see some kind of insulating material surrounding the pipes. It is some kind of woven material. Anyone hazard a guess what it is?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_proximity_suit

BTW, few weeks back, when I wrote that I find it strange that they've placed ECU in front of chassis, I got reply that Scarbs said somewhere that it is data acquisition unit used just for testing. Since it is still there, and this has no testing , I guess that it is the new position for ECU after all.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9187&p=226650&#p226650
Last edited by manchild on 24 Mar 2011, 18:41, edited 2 times in total.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Yeah they use the gap between the wheels to duct air. Not a bad idea, the gap should be pretty constant for the most part.

(Credit, http://www.forumula1techandart.wordpress.com
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

bot6
bot6

I'll stick to my guns here and say that canister is a prepressurized expansion tank for the radiators.

The pneumatic valves in the engine would probably be using a system that keeps feeding constant pressure, so pump, settlement tank and valve. So it would have a tube coming in at one end and coming out at the other. That's not the case here. And the settlement tank would be much smaller than this.

I don't see why there would be a pressurized tank on the car for something else. It can't be part of the car hydraulics, as it would be further rearwards, closer to the gearbox surely.

Also, the weld seems to suggest that this tank is made of a thin wall of stainless steel. So I doubt this could hold more than 10atm, let alone 200.

As for the drinking bottle theory, the shape might look like a Perrier bottle but apart from that...

And if it was an extinguisher, it would be positioned closer to the center of the car, in a more protected place, so it could still be used in the case if a sideways crash. And it would have a valve at the tip, not a simple fastening like the one visible here.

Holm86

manchild wrote:
gibells wrote:You can see some kind of insulating material surrounding the pipes. It is some kind of woven material. Anyone hazard a guess what it is?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_proximity_suit

BTW, few weeks back, when I wrote that I find it strange that they've placed ECU in front of chassis, I got reply that Scarbs said somewhere that it is data acquisition unit used just for testing. Since it is still there, and this has no testing , I guess that it is the new position for ECU after all.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9187&p=226650&#p226650

I believe it is the ECU aswell ... It has the McLaren badge on it. Why would any test equipment have that?

manchild
manchild

Well, my primary theory is the liquid nitrogen bottle.

Drink bottle could make sense, because having it pressurized, reduces the need for electric pump that have failed several times alredy. The only thing they need would be an electric valve.

Holm86, I was told back than that Mclaren makes testing electronics too, but I didn't believe it. :mrgreen:

marcush.
marcush.

It is a logger ,I posted the link from TAG website back then.

747heavy

anything is possible, after all, but why is it "impossible" that Renault runs the test equipment in Friday FP sessions?.

Last edited by 747heavy on 24 Mar 2011, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

marekk
marekk

Looking more at this bottle, there must be something inside.

They'll can have alu or carbon-fibre bottle of this size for mere $100 and up to 300-400 atm.
Why they'll bother to weld it from 2 stainless steel parts ?

forty-two

manchild wrote:That bottle seams to be containing something very sensitive, it's welded stainless steel.

My wild guess would be liquid nitrogen whose release the driver can activate when exhaust overheats itself, radiators, floor or sidepod under safety car. A liquid nitrogen spray can with probably multiple muzzles.

If it is however in one sidepod only, than I'd say - a drink bottle in nice place to keep it cool, and reduce cog.
Surely the regulations would not allow Liquid Nitrogen or any super duper coolant?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

bot6
bot6

manchild wrote:Well, my primary theory is the liquid nitrogen bottle.
Drink bottle could make sense, because having it pressurized, reduces the need for electric pump that have failed several times alredy. The only thing they need would be an electric valve.
If it was liquid nitrogen, it would have some kind of insulation around it... And it would be much thicker.

As for the drink bottle, I doubt they would go through all this trouble just for that, when a bladder inside the survival cell is so much easier to place and reduces the amount of tubing, weight and complexity.

PlatinumZealot

Looks like an ecu to me.. I'm no ECU expert but that looks like it has canbus cables and all.. Edit..

From the diagrams looks like an LVDT interface unit. The LVDT measures linear motion. So must be connected to sensors that measure movement of somthing.. the suspension, the DRS?
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 24 Mar 2011, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

marcush.
marcush.