Toro Rosso STR6 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Toro Rosso STR6 Ferrari

Intego wrote:As DDD is banned next year and RBR had the fastest car without DDD in the beginning of 2009, wouldn't it make sense to throw away this year's development (which wasn't that effective) and start again on the RB5 base?
Stretch the RB5, put in the bigger tank, try to use the 2009 KERS (that never ran) et voilà, a cheap and effective challenger is (re)born.
Since STR is only a talent training team it could be wise to save money.

I'm no expert and hence don't know how the new tyres would fit to the car. But, on the other hand, STR would have some free resources to develop the moveable RW.
Are you saying use the RB5 as a base instead of the STR5 then?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Florio
Florio

Intego wrote:As DDD is banned next year and RBR had the fastest car without DDD in the beginning of 2009, wouldn't it make sense to throw away this year's development (which wasn't that effective) and start again on the RB5 base?
Stretch the RB5, put in the bigger tank, try to use the 2009 KERS (that never ran) et voilà, a cheap and effective challenger is (re)born.
Since STR is only a talent training team it could be wise to save money.

I'm no expert and hence don't know how the new tyres would fit to the car. But, on the other hand, STR would have some free resources to develop the moveable RW.
You can't realistically base a 2011 car on a car that was designed two years ago. There's been major, major changes. Tyres, no refuelling etc, and basing a 2011 car on the RB5 just because it was fast without A DDD is just silly.

Intego

raymondu999 wrote:
Intego wrote:[...] wouldn't it make sense to throw away this year's development (which wasn't that effective) and start again on the RB5 base?[...]
Are you saying use the RB5 as a base instead of the STR5 then?
Yes, I do. The development on the STR5 hasn't brought the outcome that was required this year. Even the struggling BMW Sauber team got more points this year.

Ok, granted that reachable points were thrown away by drivers or technical issues (don't want to read up on the detailed facts). But, if you take the f-duct as an example, they were the only team to work on it and never got it work. I don't remember if they ran the DDD in 2009, but without Vettel they could not achieve the success of 2008 (6th in front of parent team Red Bull). They were last in the last two years, if you exclude the newbies.

Maybe they have to admit that their direction of development was wrong and make a sort of "undo". Now is the best time for that, because ...
Florio wrote:You can't realistically base a 2011 car on a car that was designed two years ago. There's been major, major changes. Tyres, no refuelling etc, and basing a 2011 car on the RB5 just because it was fast without A DDD is just silly.
I say, you can. The changes that come to F1 this year mean nothing but turn back time to 2009 with refuelling banned and new tyres. DDD was unkonwn before and now you can ignore that, and so was f-duct. The car specs (FW, RW etc.) are the same. KERS was in 2009, but I don't know, if STR has any experience, maybe from RBR (as cooperation was allowed that year).

In my point of view, F1 made a step backwards, trying to run a new year 2009 without loopholes.
But you never know ... [-o< :mrgreen:
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

Florio
Florio

Florio wrote:You can't realistically base a 2011 car on a car that was designed two years ago. There's been major, major changes. Tyres, no refuelling etc, and basing a 2011 car on the RB5 just because it was fast without A DDD is just silly.
Intego wrote:I say, you can. The changes that come to F1 this year mean nothing but turn back time to 2009 with refuelling banned and new tyres. DDD was unkonwn before and now you can ignore that, and so was f-duct. The car specs (FW, RW etc.) are the same. KERS was in 2009, but I don't know, if STR has any experience, maybe from RBR (as cooperation was allowed that year).

In my point of view, F1 made a step backwards, trying to run a new year 2009 without loopholes.
But you never know ... [-o< :mrgreen:
But cars are designed as packages aren't they. It not just a case of just putting a bit of ideas from one year, and another from another previous year and putting it on a base of a car that will suit a season your going in to. Newey tested a EBD in 2004 I believe but didn't go through with it because of the pressures it created making it an unstable car. It would be the same with the 2011 cars, the aero and mechanical work is specific to 2009 regs.
Last edited by Florio on 02 Dec 2010, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.

Intego

Florio wrote:But cars are designed as packages aren't they. It not just a case of just putting a bit of ideas from one year, and another from another previous year and putting it on a base of a car that will suit a season your going in to. Newey tested a EBD in 2004 I believe but didn't go through with it because of the pressures it created making it an unstable car. It would be the same with the 2011 cars, the aero and mechanical work is specific to 2009 regs.
That's what I say, the 2011 regs are nearer to 2009 than to 2010 ...
You just go on from the beginning of 2009 with some experience (not necessarily components) from 2010 and put in new parts for 2011, which are new for everyone.
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Looks like two intakes below the engine intake. Interesting, kind of like mercedes had on their launch car last year.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

First shots of the STR6 with Alguersauri in for his seat fitting:

High Res: http://hphotos-ash1.fbcdn.net/hs831.ash ... 4089_o.jpg

Jaime was in the factory today for his seat fitting in TR6. As you can cleary see, he is either giving it the thumbs up, or trying out our latest invisible steering wheel, with KERS button.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6 ... 5250649109

scarbs
scarbs

Interesting roll structure design, the hoop is supported by 4 pillars, so we can expect the downstream engine cover to be really slim too

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Could the openings in the STR6s second row pillars (the pillars nearest the rear) be used for KERS cooling??? Looks to me that is what they will be used for.

GTO

I don't think the pillars lead to openings for cooling, but just support structures for the roll hoop to allow air to more freely flow around the engine cover to the rear wing. Plus, I believe KERS cooling would be provided much lower near the batteries. Pls. correct me if I'm wrong.

scarbs
scarbs

The Merc W01 used a different roll hoop structure, but still created similar openings for a gearbox oil cooler...

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Scarabs, you say on Twitter that there is a sponsor logo photoshopped out, where is that???

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Could be a version of the airflow conditioning flaps that McLaren used a couple of years ago.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

gibells
gibells

There's an interesting hole at the top of the side-pod by the guys elbow. Kers Cooling?

PlatinumZealot

body panel. I tihnk mp4-25 has some right there too.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏