Toro Rosso STR6 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
forty-two

Re: Toro Rosso STR6 Ferrari

gibells wrote:There's an interesting hole at the top of the side-pod by the guys elbow. Kers Cooling?
I've a sneaking suspicion that the hole you're seeing there contains the GPS device. I know that in the past these have been located in the tub, normally near the driver's shins, but I saw a picture of the forthcoming Lotus and it too apparently had a circular access panel in the same location.

Plus, since the front of the sidepod is all "hole" anyway, why would a hole in the top of the pod be helpful for cooling?
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Good news - earlier today our 2011 chassis passed all its tests and is fully homologated for racing.
https://twitter.com/#!/ToroRossoSpy/sta ... 9469759488

H. Zedozil

raymondu999

Is that another square sidepod design? I don't get why they didn't base off the rb6 design rather than an str5?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Formula None
Formula None

Poor Toro Rosso gets it tail cut off and wide rear? :(

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

raymondu999

I think they're only the 2nd team to show an undercut on their sidepods. Aren't they?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

creedbratton
creedbratton

Can anyone explain the slits in the gurney flap above the diffuser? Kinda defeats the purpose...
Last edited by creedbratton on 01 Feb 2011, 13:38, edited 2 times in total.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

They are some rumors that said that TR using double floor like Ferrari in 1992

volarchico
volarchico

What's the exhaust looking thing coming up out of the floor near the rear tire?

Blackout

I was dreaming to see a new Ferrar 92A in 2011 and STR did it. Nice job STR

forty-two

volarchico wrote:What's the exhaust looking thing coming up out of the floor near the rear tire?
Probably a silly answer, but could it be the exhaust?

volarchico
volarchico

forty-two wrote:Probably a silly answer, but could it be the exhaust?
Well, that's what it looks like but it doesn't make much sense. A little bit further behind, you can see the path they've created for the exhaust. Seems to be something different. And why would you route an exhaust down and then back up through the floor?

forty-two

volarchico wrote:
forty-two wrote:Probably a silly answer, but could it be the exhaust?
Well, that's what it looks like but it doesn't make much sense. A little bit further behind, you can see the path they've created for the exhaust. Seems to be something different. And why would you route an exhaust down and then back up through the floor?
Oh yes, well spotted.

Perhaps they're going to try routing the exhaust in two different places. The panel you mentioned appears to be made from a different material from the rest of the floor (or it might be a trick of the light!), so I thought that this was heat-resistant material.

Perhaps the idea is that routing the exhausts down through the floor and then back up again is a sneaky way of using the exhaust as a venturi to "suck" air up from under the floor. I know that the exhaust outlet is only allowed to be in two places, and I imagine it isn't allowed to actually EXIT under the car, but what if it had an exit port resting just above a recess in the floor(out of sight in the above image) and a hole through the floor immediately underneath it. When the exhaust gases are pumping backwards (and upwards a little due to the angle of the recess) maybe this could be used to draw air up through a gap in the floor?

Or would the gap in the floor be illegal? I remember last year there were all sorts of scoops and holes appearing near this region, just in front of the rear tyres.

I know I'm not explaining what I mean very well there, perhaps a little MSPAINT drawing is in order?