Sauber C30 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Byronrhys

Re: Sauber C30 Ferrari

James Key, Technical Director:
“Barcelona is familiar to everyone. We tested there twice over the winter, but I’m sure in hotter conditions we have to re-evaluate how the tyres are working on the track. It’s another circuit which is quite hard on tyres, and turn three in particular is hard on the left hand side of the car. It’s going to be a case of looking at tyre degradation and durability on Friday, and trying to come to some conclusions. Barcelona is a relatively high speed track, so one which should be quite reasonable for our car. After the race performance in Istanbul that could be good for us, but we need to improve our qualifying performance.

“We’ll have a new, quite significant aero package on the car, which will be a completely new front wing, updates to the front and rear brake ducts, new bodywork, new devices around the floor leading edge and under the chassis, and we’ll be testing the new exhaust system again. We’ll also be continuing our work on the mechanical update we had in Istanbul, which proved to be positive. So it will be interesting to see how this works. If it works well it should give us a good few tenths of a second improvement in lap time. Our goal is to continue our good race form, to try to improve qualifying and finish as high in the points as possible.”

Francesc
Francesc

New front wing

thestig84
thestig84

Pretty Mclaren-esk. Looks good though, wonder if it will flex at all?! Thanks for the pics.

PlatinumZealot

They have heard Hamilton crying that his car had too much front downforce in China and Sauber took the hint.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

bot6
bot6

The foils look McLarenesque, but the main profiles look more redbullesque. Best of both worlds?

PlatinumZealot

Yeah, copying to perfection! I love copying.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

Now the xibit pic would be funny. "yo dawg we heard you like cascades on your wings, so we put winglets and cascades on your cascades. :lol:
Saishū kōnā

Pierce89

Francesc wrote:New front wing
Sweet!! Looks better than Macca's version that originated this concept. Looks more organic than the Macca less Transformer.Seem's like Red Bull planes with Macca cascades and winglets with their own endplate design. I LIKES!!
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

ell66
ell66

Pierce89 wrote:
Francesc wrote:New front wing
]
Sweet!! Looks better than Macca's version that originated this concept. Looks more organic than the Macca less Transformer.Seem's like Red Bull planes with Macca cascades and winglets with their own endplate design. I LIKES!!
hows it looks better? its far simpler more like, only the one elemet rather than the two on the mclarens. the planes are similar to the red bull from about ayear ago also.

godlameroso

The devil's in the details or so the phrase goes. What's up with that tab underneath the end plate, is it supposed to be a skid block?
Saishū kōnā

shelly
shelly

godlameroso wrote:The devil's in the details or so the phrase goes. What's up with that tab underneath the end plate, is it supposed to be a skid block?
I think it serves both the function of aero appendage and skid block. But I do not think they intend to rub it on the tarmac intentionally, I think they want just to make that small bit more damage tolerant. Or maybe it is more practical to produce such a small bit in metal instead than with the mandated carbon-zylon
twitter: @armchair_aero

HampusA

New part arrived for this GP :P
They really focused on the rear end judging form the pic ;)

Sure you can argue that they still miss some aero but overall the package looks really good.
The truth will come out...

zgred

Francesc
Francesc

Kaivo
Kaivo

mh, no RB style EBD ?