2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Holm86

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

piast9 wrote:
Holm86 wrote:There is a feed pump, a high pressure pump and then the injector. The sensor is placed in the tank after the feed pump.
The flow from the feed pump to the high pressure pump is pretty constant and even. Not pulsating.
As far as I recall the previous discussions one sensor is going to be after the feed pump as you say but also there are going to be a sensors before the injectors. But I may remember it wrong or the regulations changed since then.
5.10.4 Only one homologated FIA fuel flow sensor may be fitted to the car which must be placed wholly within the fuel tank.

piast9
piast9

So my memory isn't that good I suppose :)

ringo

Holm86 wrote:
langwadt wrote:has anyone considered putting the mgu-h in between the turbine and compressor?
This has also been discussed here before. And yes i do think that most of us believe this is the way to go.
I don't think it's the best choice.
It complicates packaging, and would force your car to have a bulky area hanging off the back of the engine, Or if you place the turbo over the engine, the compressor intake would have too much of a bent duct coming from through the roll hoop.

In the even of a failure it's also easier to decouple the TERS from the turbine without having to take the turbo apart to get to the motor.
You don't have this luxury if the motor is between the compressor and turbine. Other complications arise with heat from the turbine bearing transfering to the generator. The compressor side is much cooler for the turbine to be placed.
There are other benefits, but renaults image of their engine is the wiser choice.
For Sure!!

dren

Holm86 wrote:
piast9 wrote:
Holm86 wrote:There is a feed pump, a high pressure pump and then the injector. The sensor is placed in the tank after the feed pump.
The flow from the feed pump to the high pressure pump is pretty constant and even. Not pulsating.
As far as I recall the previous discussions one sensor is going to be after the feed pump as you say but also there are going to be a sensors before the injectors. But I may remember it wrong or the regulations changed since then.
5.10.4 Only one homologated FIA fuel flow sensor may be fitted to the car which must be placed wholly within the fuel tank.
5.10.3 Homologated sensors must be fitted which directly measure the pressure, the temperature and the flow of the fuel supplied to the injectors, these signals must be supplied to the FIA data logger.

This also states the need for sensors to measure flow to injectors. 5.10.4 mandates an FIA sensor, as well, in the tank.
Honda!

dren

ringo wrote:
Holm86 wrote:
langwadt wrote:has anyone considered putting the mgu-h in between the turbine and compressor?
This has also been discussed here before. And yes i do think that most of us believe this is the way to go.
I don't think it's the best choice.
It complicates packaging, and would force your car to have a bulky area hanging off the back of the engine, Or if you place the turbo over the engine, the compressor intake would have too much of a bent duct coming from through the roll hoop.

In the even of a failure it's also easier to decouple the TERS from the turbine without having to take the turbo apart to get to the motor.
You don't have this luxury if the motor is between the compressor and turbine. Other complications arise with heat from the turbine bearing transfering to the generator. The compressor side is much cooler for the turbine to be placed.
There are other benefits, but renaults image of their engine is the wiser choice.
I think it would be aero packaging vs intake/exhaust pipe routing, which also ties into aero packaging.
Honda!

Holm86

dren wrote:
5.10.3 Homologated sensors must be fitted which directly measure the pressure, the temperature and the flow of the fuel supplied to the injectors, these signals must be supplied to the FIA data logger.

This also states the need for sensors to measure flow to injectors. 5.10.4 mandates an FIA sensor, as well, in the tank.
So does the 0.5% inaccuracy reading also regard those sensors?? Or only the FIA mandated one in the tank. As that was what the discussion was about.

dren

Holm86 wrote:
dren wrote:

So does the 0.5% inaccuracy reading also regard those sensors?? Or only the FIA mandated one in the tank. As that was what the discussion was about.
I'm thinking it's the FIA mandated sensor.
Honda!

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

I'd say that 5.10.3 and 5.10.4 are about the same sensor, as 5.10.3 does NOT say "flow at the injector". Of course the flow in the tank and in the injectors is the same if there's no leakage between these to locations.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

dren

Blanchimont wrote:I'd say that 5.10.3 and 5.10.4 are about the same sensor, as 5.10.3 does NOT say "flow at the injector". Of course the flow in the tank and in the injectors is the same if there's no leakage between these to locations.
I thought that too, but I don't know why you would need two statements. 5.10.4 specifically states one FIA mandated in-tank flow sensor. 5.10.3 states sensors that measure pressure, temp and flow to the injectors that feed into the FIA data logger.
Honda!

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

I think the plural is there because pressure, temp and flow are three different quantities to measure with the help of three sensors.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Even on the most ordinary road car there is excess fuel recirculation back to the tank to prevent fuel from overheating and evaporating. Isn't this used on F1 cars? I mean if there IS recirculation you can't measure the actual amount used for a period of time, nor the actual fuel rate with only one sensor.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

piast9
piast9

Blanchimont wrote:I'd say that 5.10.3 and 5.10.4 are about the same sensor, as 5.10.3 does NOT say "flow at the injector". Of course the flow in the tank and in the injectors is the same if there's no leakage between these to locations.
I don't think so. If these sections were about the same sensor then why split it into two? And for me the flow, temperature and pressure of fuel feed to the injectors may only be measured between the high-pressure pump and the injector itself.

SBR9
SBR9

Renault Energy F1-2014: a new terminology for a new era. More than just a motor, it’s a “power unit”. Not only has it got a turbo compressor, it also recovers the electrical energy when breaking – it promises to make the difference.
Nice little update from Renault F1 facebook page. :D

Holm86

SBR9 wrote:
Renault Energy F1-2014: a new terminology for a new era. More than just a motor, it’s a “power unit”. Not only has it got a turbo compressor, it also recovers the electrical energy when breaking – it promises to make the difference.
Was the breaking part highlighted?? Or did you do that?? Otherwise there's no real news in that :-)

SBR9
SBR9

Holm86 wrote:
SBR9 wrote:
Was the breaking part highlighted?? Or did you do that?? Otherwise there's no real news in that :-)
Yes I highlighted it, not new info. The joke is in the spelling of 'breaking'. :D